So we won't see the practical use of the alcubierre drive in our lifetimes?

So we won't see the practical use of the alcubierre drive in our lifetimes?

Other urls found in this thread:

ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20110015936.pdf
scitation.aip.org/content/aip/proceeding/aipcp/10.1063/1.2169323
researchgate.net/publication/269464559_Cosmological_bimetric_model_with_interacting_positive_and_negative_masses_and_two_different_speeds_of_light_in_agreement_with_the_observed_acceleration_of_the_Universe
vixra.org/abs/0907.0015
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

you mean ever..

> Exotic matter
The Alcubierre drive is sadly just sci-fi. No matter how much we want to believe.

>ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20110015936.pdf
>Conclusion
In this paper, the mathematical characteristics of the Alcubierre metric were introduced and discussed,
the canonical form was presented and explored, and the idea of a warp drive was even considered
within a higher dimensional manifold. The driving phenomenon was conjectured to be the boost field as
opposed to purely the York Time which resolved the asymmetry/symmetry paradox. An early idea of a
warp drive was briefly discussed within the context of mission planning to elucidate the impact such a
subsystem would have on the mission trade space. Finally, a laboratory experiment that might produce
a modest instantiation of the phenomenon was discussed.
>While it would appear that the model has
nearly all the desirable mathematical characteristics of a true interstellar space drive, the metric has one
less appealing characteristic – it violates all three energy conditions (strong, weak, and dominant [9])
because of the need for negative energy density

Sadly, this user is right.

What other non-sci fi alternatives are left?

You guys are lame. Boo hoo, we can't have neat technology. Woe, is me.

Stop being lame! There's all sorts of cool ass technology that can power our spacecrafts.

Start researching electrogravitics. The art of using electricity to alter gravity. Boom!

>the metric has one
>less appealing characteristic – it violates all three energy conditions (strong, weak, and dominant [9])
>because of the need for negative energy density

Wow, I'm all for exploring interesting geometries with interesting metrics but exploring one that violates energy conservation? In the trash this drive goes

>1916
>Moon rockets are sci-fi
The Alcubierre metric is just one shit solution, there are probably loads more we haven't discovered

Take your pedophile cartoons back to .

Fucking degenerate.

>Electrogravitics

It's a STEM branch you fucking retard

The wikipedia is full of anti-gravity and UFO bullshit.

This paper is claiming that you don't need negative energy

scitation.aip.org/content/aip/proceeding/aipcp/10.1063/1.2169323

That paper seems to use the warp drive metric, which already violates energy conservation, and higher-dimension representation for baryonic matter to find an equation of state for dark energy, not suggest that the warp drive is in any way feasible. If their derivation of an equation of state for dark energy is fine, they can then fit in negative pressure. I could tell you more if the paper was free but its not. Also, don't forget that out of the six years that conference paper has been out, it's been cited exactly 0 times.

Who knows, by Star Trek timeline we might.

I wonder where we'll be by 2063, regarding space tech. Imo space tech is going so so slow. If Musk hadn't started SpaceX... Thank God for private entrepreneurs.

I hope we see some development. One moment I feel like naah, next moment I watch some tech news, 3d printing, quantum compters and feel dammit, we achieved so much in past 50 years! Think about it. 50 yrs ago wverything that makes our everyday lives was not invented or available to masses.

So by that logic in next 50 years we could see some interesting stuff. Unbelievable stuff.

If 3rd ww doesnt happen.

If the whole thing violates energy conservation then why is NASA still working on it?

Hope that is the case. The universe expanded faster than the speed of light right after the big bang, so there must be some way to explain this and hopefully replicate.

While we think there is such a thing of negative energy, we've yet to find any way to produce (or even prove the existence of) negative mass, that being the problem.

...On the other hand, we still don't know what exactly dark matter is, and it seems to have that very property.

On the other, other hand, traveling to relativistic speeds in this thing would create an event horizon behind you, which would cook you.

They aren't.

Anyone who watched even a popsci video about GR can instantly tell why op pic won't work

>dark energy has negative mass and energy
citation fucking needed

>I dunno why we dunno why the details as to why the universe is expanding at an accelerated rate.
researchgate.net/publication/269464559_Cosmological_bimetric_model_with_interacting_positive_and_negative_masses_and_two_different_speeds_of_light_in_agreement_with_the_observed_acceleration_of_the_Universe

Dark matter is observed to have a positive energy density or else we'd see galaxies moving slower, not faster than what the luminous matter contributes.

There is no association of negative energy and dark energy.

There are a bunch of pop Sci memers like Kaku that decided to define gravity fields as negative energy because you lose energy the closer you get to another body, but this isn't the same type of negative energy needed to make the proposed warp drive, it's just a meme they started for an arbitrary frame of reference

Typo in the abstract.
Claims speed of light for negative mass is slower than that of positive mass.
Claims that because of this, negative mass can travel faster than the speed of light for positive mass.

I can't even.

>tfw watched Kaku on discovery channel all the time
>tfw he promised me that warp drive was real and how we will get to other galaxies
>tfw he was memeing
So it's all over for space travel then? Mars and nowhere else ever?

>tfw he promised me that warp drive was real and how we will get to other galaxies
When exactly did he say that? I know he likes to meme a lot, but he generally has a good grasp on physics and what's possible/impossible. I've watched an interview of his, where some guy is interviewing him about a video game Mass Effect. The interviewer kept spewing his Sci-Fi nonsense, but Cuckoo always stuck to the well established physical theories and/or hypotheses.

Biological immortality is theoretically possible, as are self-sustaining colony ships, so, eventually...

Plus, we worked up relativity less than a hundred years ago, so we may come up with another quicker method... Unless you're a patent clerk in 1899, science is still in its infancy.

vixra.org/abs/0907.0015

>but he generally has a good grasp on physics and what's possible/impossible
Nigger he was on UFO Files talking about how flying saucers may work.

>Nigger he was on UFO Files talking about how flying saucers may work.
I know that he likes to play in a different ball park than most physicists, but he was just theorizing on the possibility. I doubt he said there is 100% chance they can work. He most likely said based on this and this physical law, they could fly like this and this.

So if flying saucers follow known physical laws then why are they considered paranormal?

>science is still in its infancy.
It's hard to get for most of us

Keyword: if

Not saying they are, but even if it's physically possible for them to fly, it does in no way prove that aliens traveled half way across the universe to abduct our cows.

Yeah but if countless people are seeing something that you now admit to be scientifically plausible you shouldn't dismiss it.

It is my personal non-professional opinion that we (humans) are more likely to create a universe simulation to explore and experiment with before we manage to develop so method of travelling vast distances in a reasonable time (within human life span).

Assuming we don't all die out within the next 50years from

It just means that countless people are retards

Another poorly written non peer reviewed piece of shit.

Why bother linking this?

Nice baseless dismissal.

>baseless
I beg to differ.

Post your base then.

Not him but here's mine