In your opinion, what life factors cause or contribute to depression?

In your opinion, what life factors cause or contribute to depression?

Other urls found in this thread:

sites.google.com/site/bryanpenfoundsmathsite/
youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M
youtube.com/watch?v=QhukM33VLgo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

brainletism

ay ay fuck u mate

I'd be depressed if a fucking tiny rain cloud followed me everywhere I went.

Actually wait, no I wouldn't. That would be fucking awesome! Where do I sign up?

Shitposting

broad spectrum but they all boil down to unsatisfactory resolution of conflict

Depression is caused by three things: desire for more pleasant things, aversion to unpleasant things and delusion regarding the true nature of reality.

brainitis

Probably has something to do with the amounts of neurotransmitters produced in one's brain, faggot cunt.

sites.google.com/site/bryanpenfoundsmathsite/

No one on this board is qualified to answer this question.

I might say everyone here is

Why, because we're all neets with depression with anecdotal evidence to share?

>delusion regarding the true nature of reality.

No that's happiness lad m8.

whats even the point of this ?

>social isolation
>poor upbringing
>abuse at a young age (this can lead to much worse than depression, e.g. antisocial personality disorders)
>autism spectrum disorders
>severe physical handicaps
>drug abuse

Said differently: "You get depressed when you decide to be sad. You get out of it when you decide to be happy."

yeah maybe if you're talking "my dad didn't buy me a car for my birthday" depression

typical I don't know how to read and understand response. It's about being happy or sad about your REAL conditions and actually dealing with your reality not excuses.

If you don't have any purpose or you feel like it wouldn't worth your time/efforts (feeling like you wasting yourself)

Not quite what I was saying, but you are on the right track. Mental anguish is caused by three things. First, it is caused by a desire or craving to have something we don't currently have. More money, a better job, sex, ice cream... Second, it is caused by a desire to get rid of or avoid something that is unpleasant. Pain, interactions with unpleasant people, uncomfortable mind states... Third, and very importantly, mental anguish is caused by our delusion or confusion about the true nature of the world we live in and our place in this world. All of human suffering is caused by these three things. It is our human nature to experience desire, aversion, and confusion. My experience has been that if you can learn to experience some equanimity about these states, depression will naturally vanish.

>Genetics
>Culture
>Degree of integration in society/availability of social support
>Physical health

Lack of acceptance; not noticing the objective (physical or mental) reality of the present.

These can be overcome (with practice) through mindfulness exercises such as meditation.

youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M

you've probably never endured real hardship, kek

A combination of failure, lack of direction, and lack of hope.

as general as I can make it because not everyone cares about failing the same things.

You shouldn't ask for our opinion, you should ask what the medical journals say are the biggest causes.

You shouldn't breathe, but you don't see me making recommendations for what you should do.

Or someone used you as their personal sex slave for over a year when you were 6. What kind of "equanmity" would you suggest for that "mental anguish" to "naturally vanish"?

What is this new wave bullshit?!

This is a science board. Not a opinion board. That's all I'm saying.

If you wanted opinions maybe ask /soc/ or /r9k/ or other community boards

well, my parents hate me so, that contribute a lot

My reasons are
>i live in a shithole full of gangsters
>you can be easily killed while going to the job
>250usd salary
>ugly
>small dick
>no social/technical skills
>no friends

Simply equanimity. Can you change what happened to you when you were 6 by dwelling on it?

It is actually 2600-year-old wisdom.

>All of human suffering is caused by these three things

?........................................

What do you mean?

fukkin kek, go back to /x/ or spirit science or wherever you came from

I don't follow. What is your counter argument?

Being a loser

I don't see how your lack of self-esteem is relevant

Veeky Forums

>Unfulfilled biological needs
>Unfulfilled social needs
>Stagnation as a result of comfort
>Physical abnormality or injury
>Drug abuse
>Gender identity that doesn't match your biological sex due to incorrect neural development.
>Tricking yourself into thinking your gender identity doesn't match your biological sex because you're retarded
>Envy

Pretty much this.
Anything else we can add? Traumas? Bad childhood?

But none of these things physically cause depression, except perhaps drug abuse. It is your mind state with respect to each of these things that causes another mind state, depression, to occur. If you change you relationship to the negative mind states, the depression either vanishes or doesn't even occur in the first place. Look ma, no pills!

YES and not even drugs can cause depression actually depression might make you want to take drugs

Watch this video:

youtube.com/watch?v=QhukM33VLgo

What is depression even? I feel like everyone has his own definition so discussion about it is kinda pointless outside of academia.

Exactly. Many people drink alcohol and/or take drugs, at least initially, to soothe a difficult state of mind. It comes back to aversion and the desire for things to be different than what they are.

An undesirable state of mind for an extended period of time.

Being uncapable of feeling any "good emotions". You may be able to feel the bad ones, or you may not feel anything at all, but if you don't feel something that you enjoy to some degree, it's depression.

It is not pointless outside of academia because the practicing medical community is prescribing billions of dollars worth of pills each year to treat the condition. Depression is a hell of a profitable business for some. For the sake of argument, why don't we just use the DSM-5 definition? That is what the medical community uses.

I guess you had to be depressed at some point to know.

OMG I CAN'T EVEN KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN. THERE IS NOTHING "NORMAL" IN LIFE THERE IS NO 1 RULE FITS ALL.

I agree 100% until "Life isn't enjoyable." Let's examine in detail:

HOW IS THIS FEELING CREATED ???? ANSWER: BY SOCIETY MAKING YOU BELIEVE YOU CAN HAVE MORE OR BETTER OR NEXT. IT DOES NOT HAPPEN IN THE BRAIN. STOP THINKING THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR BRAIN! IN TRUTH THERE IS NOT EVEN A YOU. IT IS JUST AN IDEA.

What if you just have a bad life and are aware of it?

there is no bad "you" defines bad

>there is no bad

Being unattractive is bad.
Not being able to talk to people is bad.
Being poor is bad.
Having a disability is bad.
Having to work a monotone and exhausting job is bad.

it is all beliefs created by society or family, or friends. There is absolutely nothing inherently bad in this world.

Bad is relative. That doesn't mean it isn't real you idiot.

You can't change what has happened to you previously in life. What you can do is to learn from the experience and move on. Ask yourself if expending all of that mental energy reliving past experiences in your mind is helping you in any way. Believe it or not, you can train your mind to recognize when you get caught in a feedback loop of negative, harmful thinking. That simple act of recognizing what the mind is doing can be enough impetus to let the mind relax and let go.

lol you say it yourself, bad is relative. check the definition of relative in the dictionary I guess.

You are still a human being that likes to feel pleasure and hates feeling pain. No amount of mental gymnastics will undo that.

Yes, but I'm not seeking pleasure neither am I avoiding pain.

I find that hard to believe.

I don't think you really know what depression is. It's not just an extended period of feeling sad, it's extreme mood swings (suicidally sad one week, extremely happy the next), often bouts of no energy or will (inability to see the point of anything, including eating/hygiene, etc), and in extreme cases people can get hallucinations
It's not solved by thinking happy thoughts, and it's almost impossible to will yourself out of a slump when you have depression. Unless you actually have been diagnosed with depression, you can't use your experience as an example because it's not nearly the same thing.

I spent 20 years of my life dealing with severe, clinical depression. I have experienced everything the mental health community has to offer to deal with this problem. A few years ago, I underwent ~90 ECT treatments over a two year period. I have experienced experimental ketamine infusion therapy in a hospital setting. I have been hospitalized for depression and psychosis more times than I can accurately enumerate. Does any of this entitle me to at least have an opinion about depression?

Five years ago I quit all treatment and went home to die. Then, my longtime psychiatrist taught me to meditate. The practice changed my life dramatically for the better. I haven't experienced a bout of depression in five years. Doesn't that at least make you curious about the mental and physical mechanisms involved in that change?

> neither am I avoiding pain.
*unzips dick*
we'll see about that

omg, when it actually happens, be it emotionnally or physical... you only make me act out of fear, which is how society does to control you, and some people get depressed about that.

How does one not feel depressed with the realization that one is completely inferior?

change your definition of "completely inferior". again, only society, friends, family, or you created it AND DECIDED TO BELIEVE IN IT.

Inferior to what?

To someone with good looks, social skills, drive, discipline, skills, money...

>change your definition

And how? No one will hire you because you are so good at being yourself. If you are inferior you won't get a job and will be poor.

None of those self-projections make me view you as being inferior to anyone. Why do you view yourself this way? I have a challenge for you. Today, choose to do one thing, no matter how insignificant, to make yourself a better person in your own view. It might be as simple as setting aside Veeky Forums for the day.

Why in the fuck are you so hung up on how society views you? When these other people are lying on their death beds, how many of them are going to be thinking about you and your life? Almost none I would guess, and that would be true for almost every human in history. Your life and my life are meaningless to almost every other being in the universe. So, why put so much time and energy into worrying about how society view you? Your opinion of yourself is the most important one, in my view.

create your own job, change country, be homeless, become a monk, possibilities are endless