I hear people talk about creme brulee once in a while and how it's so good. Is it really...

I hear people talk about creme brulee once in a while and how it's so good. Is it really? I would make it myself but don't have any ramekins. It's supposed to have a firm custard texture but taste like sweet eggs? Are they worth buying ramekins and learning to make them?

its pretty pleb desu, its something people who have no idea about food usually love because you can crack it and its sweet af

you don't need a ramekin, just any cup will do.

a well made one is extremely pleasurable. i like ones made with brandy or marsala. the set is really up to you as long as it isn't split. creme catalana is great too

It's good, but basic. Nothing wrong with that of course, it's just a good solid dessert that won't offend anyone.

fag

creme brule is great OP

Custard is a nice safe dessert

It's easy to do. You only need oven-proof containers to portion the things.

Nice, soft, sweet. Easy to play with too (you can play around with the flavor).

Has anyone tried broiling instead of using a torch?

Takes longer to caramelise and the recipient will heat up too ...

Torch is way better and faster

A part of the pleasure is the contrast between the cold cream and the warm crispy and thin caramel crust

Tastes like janky vanilla pudding with an unpleasant scab-like crust

>Are they worth buying ramekins and learning to make them?
Ramekins aren't expensive and can be used for more than just creme brulee. Go buy some.

I feel it's got a certain charm in its simplicity, you know?

Tastes like fancy vanilla pudding with a nice crisp crust

Americans seem to think of creme brulee as some high class dish (probably because of the french name) when really it's just a cheap desert every bar in france serves because it's so quick and easy the bartender can make it. Obviously it tastes great since it's just custard, but nothing too special.

Actually I am brulee-kin and this post offends me

yeah this. I use mine all the time and I've actually never made creme brulee or similar desserts...yet

Only if you flavor it with vanilla
Otherwise it just tastes like what it is, a good custard. You can flavor it with lots of things other than vanillerr

It's good. It's good to have ramekins whether you're making creme brulee or not. How the fuck are you setting up your mise en place at home?

This
How do you not have ramekins, theyre basic equipment

I used them a couple of times to make selection of different kinds of the same dish.
For example, different fruit crumbles for dessert or a selection of different small lasagnas as a starter

tried it recently at a good italian restaurant the first time. it is good and i imagine if you do it often its a very tasteful desert and it'll not become boring. serve with vanilla ice cream

You have a way with words

>2012
Damn. Veeky Forums used to be good back then?

Its French, not Italian, you goddamn pleb

>serve creme brulee with ice cream
What
the only thing I would ever serve creme brulee with is something like a cookie

Yeah but you can't go wrong with a good custard. It is one of the simple pleasures

Not him but, what does it matter. all european countries have set custard desserts, creme brulee in one form or another

Yeah, of course. Personally though, when I go for dessert, I like it to have a bit more wow-factor. Get the most memorable indulgence possible, you know? So such a tame and basic dessert holds less appeal to me.

>Its French, not Italian, you goddamn pleb
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Actually it's British.

Now that you have heard this, everybody in this thread will now retract their comments and follow the meme.

It's British
It's boring
It's just boiled
It's bland.
etc.

It's a nice, satisfying dessert. Small enough to fit in at the end of a big meal and the textures are good.

It's got to be home made and finished with a torch though.

>go to a decent restaurant
>order creme brulee
>it comes with fucking lemon juice on it
fucking stop this bullshit of mixing every shit together

but yes creme brulee is good

Ate something called crema catalana in Barcelona, and while it was delicious, I couldn't really tell how it was different from the regular brulee.

it's bullshit

in Portugal we have something similar as well, "Leite creme", the difference is we add a piece of lemon skin into the cream thus the cream has a nice lemony taste that cuts off a bit of the sweetness

>The earliest known reference to crème brûlée in print appears in François Massialot's 1691 cookbook Cuisinier royal et bourgeois.[2][3] The name "burnt cream" was used in the 1702 English translation.[4] Confusingly, in 1740 Massailot referred to a similar recipe as crême à l'Angloise, 'English cream'. The dish then vanished from French cookbooks until the 1980s.

You can make it in an oven dish or any other heat safe container

nice thanks!

It's actually a British dish.

And it was called 'Burnt Cream' decades before the French cookbook.

Sorry to piss on your fireworks but it is British.

>source: my ass
*sigh*

>source:
Not Wikipedia.
*sigh*

>my ass is better than the oxford companion
i'll stop replying now

>oxford companion
Cambridge claims to have invented it first.
No bias here then?

Do you know the competitive atmosphere between these two Universities?

It's makes sense for you to stop arguing . . . .after all, what's the big deal - it's only a pudding.

Best one I ever tried had a few fresh raspberries in the custard and saffron strands in the brûlée sugar topping.

In general I am not a big fan of sweet things. But if I had to choose a dessert to order, this would probably be it. There are many variations available and some are not as sweet as others. It is very good with fresh raspberries.