Social Scientist

Social Scientist

Sorry to see that hillary beat him to it

Critical theory is the bane of my fucking existence.

Number one way to ruin a whole field of study. At the very least I wish they wouldn't try to pass it off as scientific or an explanation of any social phenomenon

10/10

That son of a gun.

What actually IS critical theory? Does it just mean philosophical analysis of culture?

Daily reminder that social sciences do a better job at controlling for externalities and limiting to as few variables as possible than astronomers.

its a euphemistic buzzword for "bitching about things without offering solutions".

>critical theory?

Here is a hint:
It is not taught at any STEM course
It IS taught in most humanities courses

If you can't figure it out then the short answer is cancer.

So what makes it different from sociology or anthropology?

Critical theory is the idea that looking at evidence on the way to curb negative things from social sciences and applying those to society you will see a reduction in those bad things.

It sounds like people in this thread either have a huge hatred for humanities or never actually looked into it. Its pretty innocuous.

That Critical Theory is a field in sociology but if you look around you see that many general humanities courses like english, art, women studies, etc. are forced to take Critical Theory.

I would call it 'angry sociology'. In other words, the sociology you do when you are fucking angry at something. Like when you are pissed at someone and you find ways to rationalize why you would feel happy if that person were to die.

This is a misconception. Critical Theory in literature and art is a completely different theory than Critical Theory in sociology. They have some overlapping though

Shut the fuck up you white racist faggot, fucking die cis scum.

How is that Critical Theory?

Its not critical theory

>be me
>study a social science (psychology)
>have no fucking idea what Critical Theory is
>look it up on Wikipedia
>Critical theory is a school of thought that stresses the reflective assessments and critique of society and culture by applying knowledge from the social sciences and the humanities.

Wtf is that? I don't get.

Also what's wrong with social constructivism? It literally means that we construct our reality based on social interactions, which may no t be the only way we construct it but it's still true.

Um, many things that are studied in humanity courses are not thaught at STEM courses, what's your point?

Critical theory is essentially an effort to tear down and constantly question cultural norms for the sake of it. Part of "Cultural Marxism".

>Critical theory is essentially an effort to tear down and constantly question cultural norms for the sake of it. Part of "Cultural Marxism".

Like modern social justice? Sounds like crap, pretty sure that isn't a social science and it's just a meme.

It's, at best, a way to apply what we learn from social sciences.

social science IS a meme

>Critical theory is the idea that looking at evidence on the way to curb negative things from social sciences and applying those to society you will see a reduction in those bad things.
I'm pretty sure that did not make sense.

no u

Bump for more memes

it took a reread but it makes sense.
do policy that evidence says is effective in reducing bad stuff

>Does it just mean philosophical analysis of culture?

Yes.

>E equals M C squared times the derivative of the hypotenuse with respect to time over pi R theta.
>How is that Science?
That's what you sound like.

Cultural norms should always be questioned, there shouldn't have to be a "reason" for it. Otherwise you end up doing ridiculous nonsensical things just because it's a tradition.

That's maths not science retard

The key is questioning all social norms equally, whether they're of the ingroup or the outgroup. That's where most critical theory proponents fall flat.