Recent purchase thread

recent purchase thread.
you guys aren't buying enough books.
how will you show off to all your friends?

RAAAAAATTTTEEE EMMMMM

vanity/10

6.5/10

I slightly feel this way about it, but I too stock up on books when I have the opportunity, used ones and such. Keeping a fat collection of unread books makes me feel like a wannabe intellectual, so it actually keeps me motivated to read through them and understand them so if anyone asks about the literature in my abode I can avoid looking like a pseud.

Can't take a picture right now, but I got
>Works of Love
>Cloud Atlas
>Some Neitszsche stuff
>Heart of Darkness
>Tropic of Cancer

I do okay...?

>The ego and his own
>House of leaves
>The iliad
>Oedipus the king
>Confessions of st Augustine
Drunk at a party, can't capitalize

Is it good?

sounds like a fun party

I bought these three at a used bookstore. $10 each but I really couldn't have left the store without these beautiful Homer hardcovers. Printed in 1977, acid free paper... the dust cover looks raggedy but the actual books look like they have never been touched.

Probably my most prized books on my shelf right now. The everyman lolita was more frivolous, but still very nice.

>buying books
>not stealing them

Doing it wrong OP.

Forgot pic

Pretty cool

Got meme'd

>not supporting local bookstores

Been dreading the cost of Plutarch's Moralia for a few months. A complete set (minus the index volume) in perfect condition, unread, showed up at my favorite used book store for half the retail price. Couldn't help myself.

>Lattimore

Muh nigga

Impressive user, very patrician.

A three volume text collection of chinese philosophy
and Anna Karenina.
The text collection is great.(and now I have 3 copies of Tao Te Ching and The art of War)

>Constance Garnett.

Very nice find. I wish I could find deals like that but sadly I live in Canada and Loeb is basically impossible to find. There are so many sets I want but the price just kills me.

i mean constance garnett isn't all bad.

>implying i didn't see the guy that owns my local 2nd hand bookstore buy a beaten up copies of De Sade's bibliography from a charity shop for 2.50 each then mark them up to 28

Thanks!

The pickings are pretty slim in the US, too; it's very rare for me to find a worthwhile Loeb, let alone in decent condition, let alone for a price that I would consider fair for a used book. But apparently the shop acquired ~120 Loebs all at once, all in perfect condition, all which they're selling for $20, or less as sets. Complete sets of Plutarch, Strabo, Livy, Herodotus, Thucydides, Xenophon, Seneca, Homer, and Virgil, among others. I almost shit myself when I saw the shelf.

Which sets caught your eye that you can't find from another publisher? You have to go deeper than your standard "starting with the Greeks" to be forced to buy Loeb; not many people are even aware of the publisher.

How'd I do?

Nicer

Pretty much bought all the books in English from my local bookstore

memed, you know nothing about these books

recently picked up richard III, all the president's men, and the federalist.

new to Veeky Forums, this is my reading list atm. finished metamorphosis and other stories, reading perfume now.

rate pls

Not bad. Won a couple rounds of beer pong. Chatted with a Hegel enthusiast about Schopenhauer, converted him, good time

Perfume is overrated otherwise pretty good

The store was doin' a 2-for-1 special.

Did you get a weird look from the cashier as they were scanning Lolita up?

Alex rapes an 11 year old in Clockwork Orange, so he should have got one for both.

more like big mistake

Got it for around 3 dollars

>not supporting your local library

whats the kierkegaard translation/edition? hanay?

Don't be mean

Recently got into Veeky Forums. Got all of these second-hand

The Plague and The Ode Less Travelled are in REALLY good condition. You wouldn't know that they're used at first glance

Jacob's Room
Portrait
Joy in the Morning
Invitation to a Beheading
Run, Rabbit

>implying one can know anything significant about books without reading them

Ode Less Travelled is a really fucking good ABC of poetry.

I also like The Plague a lot.

couldnt you get this stuff from project gutenburg?

>got into Veeky Forums

kill yourself my man

My recent purchases:
God Emperor of Dune-Frank Herbert
Freedom-Jonathan Franzen
Life and Fate-Vassily Grossman
Les Miserables-Victor Hugo
Skylar-Dezső Kosztolányi
The Engineer of Human Souls-Josef Škvorecký
Parade's End-Ford Maddox Ford
America-Franz Kafka

How did I do? Looking forward to reading Parade's End, America for how different it is from the other two Kafka novels and God Emperor but I'm a little hazy on some events from the previous Dune novels since it's been about two years since I read Dune and Dune: Messiah, might need to do another reading of them before starting Children and God Emperor.

Oh, and The Black Prince by Iris Murdoch

no

Here's my recent book purchases.

That cover on Marie Brennan's book looks even better in detail.

>That cover on Marie Brennan's book looks even better in detail.

Yes it does, too bad the book was shit. I have heard that the series gets significantly better with the second book but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Finished reading Religio medici yesterday and started digging into Urne-buriall today. Really digging (oh god, please forgive me; I didn't mean it) his style and casual black humor.
Have you read Burton's Anatomy of Melancholy?

These are my recent purchases.

I read about 70 pages at the bookstore but didn't buy it because I have a decent size backlog and I'm poor. I will definitly get it next time I buy books.

>the good soldier svejk
>maldoror

meinigger.

Pretty excited.

Is that? Is it? Omygod it is! we need a full lengh review and analysis for those of us who haven't got a copy asap!

Nice

how'd I do?

poorly