>Kierkegaard
>Kant
>Hume
>Hegel

Relevant philosophers who didn't believe in God:
>Nietzsche
>Wittgenstein

Whose side are you on Veeky Forums?

>relevant philosophers whose careers, livelihood, and even life could be taken from them if they explicitly advocated atheism

>>Thomas Aquinas
>Anselm
>William of Ockham
>Francis Bacon
>Thomas Hobbes
>Spinoza
>Descartes
>Leibniz
>Berkley
>Augustine

So atheism was such a dubious and improbable position to them that it wasn't worth taking the risk of espousing it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Christians risked their life to spread belief in God, why couldn't atheists do the same for the god of materialism?

>Kierkegaard
>Kant
>Hegel
>life could be taken from them if they explicitly advocated atheism
Come on now. I agree for Plato and Aristotle (although even then, it's very possible they did believe in a God, just not the christian one of course), but why these?

>Hume
>believed in God
He was an agnostic. Also you could name many more atheist philosophers than those two. Are you baiting?

>Hume
>believing in God

>Wittgenstein
>not believing in God

It's not that simple, not at all.

whats wrong with op mentioning these under the theist list?

It makes no sense, because the period in which these philosophers lived (18th century) wasn't as religion-strict as the middle ages.

nigga are you seriously including Spinoza in that list

completely throwing away your credibility right there

forgot sam harris

Its contended whether Hobbes believed in God.

the Christians risking their lives thought they were facing eternity in Paradise

Bertrand Russell didn't think so

yeah i'm sure plato and aquinas believed in the same god

plato would have been an atheist regarding aquinas' god
aquinas would have been an atheist regarding plato's god(s)

for someone who claims to know the minds of so many philosophers you appear to be a bit stupid

are you this obtuse in real life?

These people were EXTREMELY religious, you idiot.

You may as well argue that Peter was secretly an atheist.
>Also you could name many more atheist philosophers than those two.
Not relevant ones.
You can sit on your ass all day and still be saved, they did it for entirely selfless reasons.

>Not relevant ones.

"relevant" to what? to you? or to the world at large?
if you mean "relevant" to you, nobody cares but you
if you mean "relevant" to the world at large, unfortunately you don't get to decide. to most living people, Alain de Botton and AC Grayling, who are both fairly outspoken atheists, are more relevant than most of the names mentioned in this thread.

Appeal to authority: the post

Nope:
Aristotle
Ockham
Bacon
Hobbes
Kant
Hume
Hegel

Are we talking the God of the bible here? Do you even read?

>to most living people
Nice ad pop boy

Let me clear up the contention for you: he didn't.

>aquinas would have been an atheist regarding plato's god(s)
cool, so you never read plato, thanks for sharing your worthless opinion

Wittgenstein believed in God.

Not believing in/sensing/feeling God is a bit shallow thinking IMO

the fallacy fallacy makes an appearance

yeah this thread was so worthwhile

ppl r rite becuz i sed so

>doesn''t even realize that his own list is ordered chronologically

it's like you've never had a historical thought

>this argument is invalid because i've read it before in support of something i don't agree with

there's nothing inherently false about comparison to society (ad pop), polemic (ad hominem) or the establishment of abstract categories (no true scotsman)

But Nietzsche and Wittgenstein are qts though. They are my ideal tortured genius husbandos.

(This is I ironically the reason lot likes them so much.)

Also,
>2016
>having faith

kek

>(This is I ironically the reason lot likes them so much.)
What?

How is relevance relative to the mass populace when the populace is, in fact, largely irrelevant

>Spinoza
Probably a bait thread (Hume gives it away, or you are that ignorant), but the appendix to book one of ethics is seriously the best pillage of theology and religion ever written, even better than Nietzsche, because Spinoza's facts are such a rape of the beliefs of billions that he didn't need the rhetorical ornaments Nietzsche gives to his critiques. He just directly devastates every polytheist or monotheistic religion.
>They are bound to estimate the nature of such rulers (having no information on the subject) in accordance with their own nature, and therefore they assert that the gods ordained everything for the use of man, in order to bind man to themselves and obtain from him the highest honour. Hence also it follows, that everyone thought out for himself, according to his abilities, a different way of worshipping God, so that God might love him more than his fellows, and direct, the whole course of nature for the satisfaction of his blind cupidity and insatiable avarice.

>Relevant Philosophers who believed in God:
>>Aristotle
>>Plato
>>Thomas Aquinas
>>Anselm
>>William of Ockham
>>Francis Bacon
>>Thomas Hobbes
>>Spinoza
>>Descartes
>>Leibniz
>>Berkley
>>Augustine
>>Kierkegaard
>>Kant
>>Hume
>>Hegel
What mighty company to be in! I must inform my mildly retarded 9 year old sister of her esteemed peers!

The average person who believes in god is monstrously dumb and uncouth to we the enlightened few.

>more people believe in god
>a reason to believe in god
have a look around, the majority are retarded dude

If only there was a way to get internet atheists to read Spinoza instead of Dawkins and the like maybe they wouldn't be such massive faggots.

No idea who those dudes are sorry

>Aristotle and Hegel are dumber than me

ok

I know way more than either of them ever did.

>spinoza
>believes in a weird gobledeegook nature god with a lowercase g.
c'mon son

way to b more intellectually shallow then the guy who made this incredibly shallow thread

>Aristotle
>Plato

"believing in the same concept of god we now know"

>Thomas Aquinas
>Anselm
>William of Ockham

"philosophers"

>Spinoza
>Descartes

Same as the greeks

>Hume

"believing"

>kierkegaard

Ignoring the fact that he was a beta fag with daddy issues.

Yeah, I bet none of them knew any Electrical Engineering, plus they were shit at building even the simplest of webpages.

>atheist setting the parameter for what God is

I thought he didn't exist?

Such an obvious bait. The tractatus is dedicated entirely to God and nothings else, m8.

L Ron Hubbard's

Didn't you hear the news m8? God's dead bruh.

>nietzsche didn't believe in god
if he didn't believe in god how could he believe it was dead

Wittgenstein's.

shite opinion m8

you're probably not a living person

Not what I would have listed, but yeah, I've got them there too. Your average high schooler is better equipped to grapple with the 'great' problems that plagued these bronze age idiots.

So?

>Spinoza
Wiki won't help you understand Spinoza's usage of "God"

Revised list:

Relevant Philosophers who believed in God:
>Aristotle
>Plato
>Thomas Aquinas
>Anselm
>William of Ockham
>Francis Bacon
>Thomas Hobbes
>Spinoza
>Descartes
>Leibniz
>Berkley
>Augustine
>Kierkegaard
>Kant
>Hume
>Hegel
>Nietzsche
>Wittgenstein

Relevant philosophers who didn't believe in God:

"Something coming from Nothing, oh ya, must of been evolution"

you forgot Joseph Smith

Are you implying that these are all relevant philosophers who ever philosopherd?

Also, Platos believes were closer to some sort of pantheism, very little to do with classic belief in god, closer to a slightly spiritual atheist belief-system. The rest of western Philosophy is just footnotes to Plato anyway.

You're a retard. Plato reasoned that there was probably a monotheistic deity. Metaphysically he was a monist.

>Plato
>a monist

Bae, you should probably look up the meaning of that term and then go reread some Plato, especially The Republic and Thaetetus.

Hello, Reddit

why is this so awesome

Youre out of your very, very shallow depth

>Relevant philosophers who didn't believe in God:
>>Nietzsche
>>Wittgenstein

So the best and most relevant ones?

Typical lit christfag

Kierkegaard and Kant were promoting deitism explicitly.

They're both edgy retards, fuck off back to /r/atheism

Wittgenstein did believe in god tho senpai baka desu

Where in his post did he say he was an atheist?

no

Belief in gods is very much a cultural and historical thing. It's silly to think the philosophers would be different in that regard - they wrote and thought of things rising from their respective cultures and times.

Hundreds of years ago the world had much more unknowns, especially to a person who wasn't at the height of science and knowledge. It was natural that this unexplainable world was filled with gods (that too, evolved with the civilization). For your average joe, being an atheist hasn't been very probable before the 20th century or so.

Even if you want to appeal to authority, you must see that Aristotle and Plato believed in gods in a very different way from how modern christians do.

kill yourself

The world still has plenty of unknowns. Infact probably more now than ever. Just because people may have been more superstitious in the past doesn't mean they weren't able to think rationally.

Not him, but maybe try substituting a less personal idea, you can't blame Darwin for ignorance of genetics etc.

>lumping Spinoza, Plato, and Kant all under the umbrella of "people who believe in god"

You're every bit as retarded as the "atheist neckbeards" you hate.

I agree with you that Spinoza's god is basically not a "god", at least in the sense most believers think of, but Plato's is, and Kant, while not explicitly saying he's a believer, claimed that God belong to the Noumenon world, but that it was rationally better to believe in a God, than not to believe, so he kind of counts.

we are dealing in belief

Veeky Forums looks like the butt on a one piece swimsuit