Personality Disorders, Psychiatry, and Psychology

So after several years of worrying about having a personality disorder, I finally got around to paying $700 to a psychologist to test me. So I ended up spending about 7 hours taking various written tests (one of the tests was nearly 600 questions long and took me nearly 4 hours to complete, I think it was called the "Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory-2").

So today the psychologist told me that he doesn't want to call it a "disorder" but told me that what I have is something that he calls a "schizotypal-style personality" (not schizotypal personality disorder). He suggested that I seek psychotherapy treatment every week for 6 months for treating my anxiety and depression.

My Nurse Practitioner (the guy who's prescribing me Adderall for the treatment of Adult ADD) wanted to lower the dosage for Adderall down to 40 mg daily (I'm currently taking 60 mg daily, the highest recommended dosage) and he also wanted to prescribe me Abilify (an antipsychotic apparently for treating some of the symptoms of schizophrenia, which I thought was a bit strange since the guy is also prescribing me a psychostimulant.)

Later that week after my session with the Nurse Practitioner, I got a call from his superior (my psychiatrist) telling me that he wanted to stop prescribing me Adderall altogether as its side-effects seem to be mimicking the symptoms of schizophrenia, or could possibly be hastening the onset of schizophrenia.

The psychologist, however, told me that I definitely do not have schizophrenia and that I am too old to develop it. He also told me to not take Abilify and that I should keep taking Adderall (he told me that Adderall seems to be much more helpful in treating my depression than the actual antidepressant that I used to take back in 2014, which was Lexapro.)

What do you guys think of all this? Have any of you ever heard of "schizotypal-style personality"? Do you guys think that psychiatry is bullshit? What about psychology?

you ruined it with the Freud pic
delete the thread, and try again next week

Amphetamines will definitely cause paranoia at higher doses. Taking a personality disorder test while on high doses of amphetamine is a waste of money.

Actually, at $700, it's a waste of money no matter what. Good job rewarding quackery.

Tfw starting to have really bad memory issues.
>mad at myself for breaking 3 months sober with a shitty bender
>takes days before i realize it was actually just a dream
>ask where the other person in grouo project group is
>there never was another person, they all think i'm mad
Basically, i'm having shit like this daily now.
do I just give up on life now?

bullshit
what a waste of money and time

I think I hate health (or mental health) professionals.

Anyway, most of current clinical psychology does not pathologize people, they try to understand how your mind work, hence why he came up with this term "schizotypal-style personality". He means you have some very similar traits of schizotypal people, but not enough to fit in this label.
Your psychiatrist is an asshole that hasn't read the ICD carefully.

Clinical Psychiatry and Psychology are not bullshit, they can be pretty helpful. But there are tons of stupid assholes out there that destroy people's lives with their arrogant narcissistic attitude "hurr durr I am the doctor, just listen to me!". So, you need to be careful and follow what you think is right, remember that you are a CLIENT and should be treated as such.

>this guy told me this
>that guy told me that
What do you think?

The Freud pic was a mistake, OP.

Anyway, please describe your symptoms to me.

Generally speaking, if you can solve something without meds do that one.

Meds are not evil or something, but many times they are just useful as a clutch. If you're already gona solve the problem then there's no need to deal with meds and their side effects-

I think its wrong idols, idioms, representers, interactor, gliders, i dont know how you call that, but its that what makes you feel wrong so much you need to pill a tit.

Your insurance covered Abilify? Must be special.

Its bullshit to strip you from your money and get you to join the ranks of 60% of americans using prescription drugs. What a fucked up nation. Life sucks most of the time, deal with it.

Psychology is truely a very facinating field, as the mind is the most complex thing on Earth. I strongly believe that it had its place in the scientific community, but modern Psychology is quite like Common Core, seeing as how patients get shit they don't need, and no problems get solved.

What's wrong with the Freud pic?

>Actually, at $700, it's a waste of money no matter what. Good job rewarding quackery.

I realize that I have only myself to blame for this, as the psychologist told me that he didn't think that I had any personality disorder and that I should save my money for my psychotherapy treatment.

Are you making a Fight Club reference?

>Anyway, most of current clinical psychology does not pathologize people, they try to understand how your mind work, hence why he came up with this term "schizotypal-style personality". He means you have some very similar traits of schizotypal people, but not enough to fit in this label.

Is there anywhere that I can read about "schizotypal-style personality" or did he just come up with that term entirely by himself?

I asked the psychologist if a different psychologist might have interpreted my test results me having schizotypal personality disorder, and he told me that, yes, it is possible.

>What do you think?

I'm not sure what to think. I've been arguing about this with myself for years. My mind feels split. A part of me is thinking that maybe the Scientologists are right in saying that psychiatry is bullshit and that it kills. Another part of me is thinking that Scientologists are crazy and that I'm probably crazy too for even considering that they might be right. Maybe it's just the mental illness trying to convince me that I'm not crazy.

>Anyway, please describe your symptoms to me.

I find my symptoms difficult to describe as some of the things that I didn't consider to be symptoms before are apparently considered symptoms by other people (e.g. family members, classmates, teachers, doctors, etc.) So I'm gonna look through the Wikipedia article for schizotypal personality disorder to look for some of the symptoms that people have told me I have.

>Your insurance covered Abilify?

I don't have insurance.

Not a bad comparison. However, don't forget the side benefits of psychology and common core though: you get to watch a bunch of incompetent PhDs having a giant circlejerk thinking that they are actually accomplishing something when the reality is that they are just having a giant circlejerk.

Nothing, just that Freud's ideas have either been dismissed or have evolved radically.

Just because there are wrong practices or developing practices doesn't mean it doesn't have a place in scientific community. There's plenty of contributions from pyschology and clinical psychotherapy is also empirically back up.

>Nothing, just that Freud's ideas have either been dismissed or have evolved radically.

Sorry, I couldn't think of any better image to use for this particular topic.

>please describe your symptoms to me.

After reading over the Wikipedia article on schizotypal personality disorder, I will now begin listing some of the symptoms that people have noticed and pointed out to me (e.g. family members, classmates, teachers, psychiatrists, therapists, psychologists, etc.) I'd grab my copy of the DSM-5 to copy its list of symptoms except I don't actually have a copy of the DSM-5 and so I'd have to go to the Central Library to take a look at their copy of the DSM-5 but they only have it for reference and so they wouldn't let me bring it back home.

>Inappropriate or constricted affect (the individual appears cold and aloof)

>Behavior or appearance that is odd, eccentric or peculiar

I get this a lot from people. Ever since I was a little kid (I'm 27 now) I've been told that I'm: weird, creepy, crazy, etc. I've also been told that I have an unusual taste in fashion. Law enforcement and security personnel, in particular, have not been fond of the way I dress. Last year alone I was detained, frisked, and interrogated three times by law enforcement.

>Poor rapport with others and a tendency to withdraw socially

I also get this a lot from people. I've often been told that I'm too quiet and that I come off as being stuck-up and uptight, and that I seem to "hate everyone" and think that I'm "better than everyone". But I really don't think that I hate anyone and I don't think that I'm better than anyone.

>Odd beliefs or magical thinking, influencing behavior and inconsistent with subcultural norms

>Suspiciousness or paranoid ideas

>Vague, circumstantial, metaphorical, over-elaborate or stereotyped thinking, manifested by odd speech or in other ways, without gross incoherence

All I meant was Abilify is expensive as fuck and most insurances in the US will be queasy at best about covering it down to even the highest copay ( there is no generic for it in the US ). The price uninsured from the pharmacy was $900 and I don't even live in a high cost of living area.

t. Someone whose doctor tried to prescribed it as a supplement to his medication.

I don't know that med, I live in Mexico, but 900$ for a med seems like a fucking outragious price, how many pills does it even have?

Meh, you can use whatever pic you want. Freud is a pop placeholder for psychology, and I don't mind people knowing him so long as they don't think that women envying men's penis is a thing today.

I actually like Freud's ideas, and in fact most modern theories are in some way based on Freud or directly countering Freud, so despite the fact that psych. has advanced he is still a very important character.

Psychiatry is trash that should be stripped down and thrown away. Get the pharmaceutical companies under control and try again later.

In the meantime, people can who are "crazy" can get real meaningful help in an environment that doesn't tell them they're broken for life, or hang their lofty conclusions on notions of a vague "chemical imbalance".

Do you think the same about psychotherapy in general? I don't think that a psychologyst will tell you that you are broken for life, ever.

No. My opinion of talk therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy, etc, is a bit higher. I do believe if the practitioner is skilled, has some experience of their own, and has some faculty for reason and insight, it can be quite valuable.

Ideally it needs to be approached both in abstract sense, and a mechanical one. Rule out any physical factors that might making their issues more difficult to counterbalance, or crippling their endeavors otherwise. Simultaneously give the patient the means to consider new ways of thinking, and unraveling whatever their issues might be stemming from. eg in bipolar, you might have them pay close attention to triggers, learn to recognize the subsequent process, and counterbalance or defuse it. You may have them think about their life, their environment, how they're treated, the roles they find themselves in, and unearth sources of deep mental conflict. Etc.

I find value in psychiatry, however I can't deny that they resort too quickly to medications, and sometimes market themselves as psychotherapists when they are NOT prepared to do so.

I, myself am majoring in psychology and I hope to be a psychotherapist one day... and I hope in the future that we are allowed to give medications. I may be biased but I think we'de make a MUCH better use of them. But alas, it is not the case now...

no, not a fight club reference. I'm just spooked that I might actually be going nuts.

Month supply. So 30. It is outrageous but its what you can do when you see the only game in town.

You'd need to basically go to med school also if you want prescribing power. That' be a fuckload of schooling needed.

The social sciences in general are a bullshitting contest between aimless pontificators. The point of this contest is to construct the right combination of ambiguous and interchangeable terminology, and then throw it at enough unquantifiable topics until you capture the wishful thinkings of enough uneducated people to gather a following. There is no definitive structure and dynamic of the psyche. We do not understand the relationship of mind and brain. And psychologists and psychiatrists are largely professional bullshitters.

Of course, you won't accept what an overarching statement this is. Understandably. So read through Freud, Jung, Adler, Rogers, Ellis, Huxley, Wilber, and Frankl, and a few other names, then go pick up an associate's in psychology. Then take note of how you are in no way shape or form more educated than you were, just a little more versed in arguments that have made no progress since Plato.

He's just saying you could be more social if you chose to and that it might make you happier. You don't have anything really wrong you're just not living your life as well as you could be.

>A part of me is thinking that maybe the Scientologists are right in saying that psychiatry is bullshit and that it kills.

Strangely enough, this is the one and only thing I think the $cientologists are right about. However, like everything else concerning $cientology, there is no logic behind their particular argument against psychiatry. Hubbard despised the psychiatric community because they, quite correctly, shit all over dianetics when Hubbard released it in the 50's. If there was one thing Hubbard was good at, it was holding a grudge. He certainly wasn't good at anything else.

>Not getting caught
>Preying on weak-minded people

He was a talented guy in that narcissistic sociopathic kind of way but yeah both dianetics and psychiatry are horseshit.

>But there are tons of stupid assholes out there that destroy people's lives with their arrogant narcissistic attitude "hurr durr I am the doctor, just listen to me!".

I have had similar thoughts regarding psychiatry and psychology these last few years. When I went to see my first psychiatrist back in 2013, I remember having hundreds of questions running through my mind that I wanted to ask, however; that session only lasted for about fifteen minutes and back then I could swear that my psychiatrist was testing me in some way (possibly testing me for personality disorders, such as: Narcissistic Personality Disorder.) While I was talking, the psychiatrist kept yawning and nodding off, at some point he even closed his eyes for about ten seconds, and he kept repeating the same questions. After all that he prescribed me Adderall for Adult ADD, which I found to be remarkably surprising as I'd read about Adderall beforehand and how some people use it for recreation (I wondered if the psychiatrist felt that I was possibly displaying drug-seeking behavior.) I was concerned about Adderall's side-effects on me if it turned out that I was genetically predisposed to developing schizophrenia later in life.

I then ended up seeing a neurologist, and I wanted to know if I needed a fMRI scan on my brain to see if I could have schizophrenia. The neurologist recommended that I get an MRI (which I paid $700 for), after which he found something called an "arachnoid cyst" which is apparently harmless. The neurologist then prescribed me primidone and recommended that I go see another psychiatrist (who then prescribed me escitalopram and clonazepam.) When this second psychiatrist asked me why I didn't take the first psychiatrist's Adderall, I told him that I was worried about it possibly triggering a psychotic episode (to which he simply shook his head and said, "no. That never happens.") However, he then told me that I shouldn't take Adderall as it could worsen my anxiety.

You're right, I was being a bit unfair. He was very good at duping people out of their money. However, he was none of the other things he claimed to be.

Psychologists aren't doctors, and have no relevant training to be one. Listen do your doctor (the psychiatrists).
And Freud-loving psychoanalysts are literally pseudo-scientists. Psychoanalysis is a joke and garbage.

Dude, speaking from experience, if you are spending a lot of time worrying about being schizophrenic, you're not schizophrenic.

Wrong

Known many people actively suffering from schizophrenia, have you?

true, I have ocd and one of my obsessions is schizo

Yes, as if this was never tried already. And as if the development of anti-psychotics didn't lead to most schizophrenics moving out of the hospitals.

Dumb psychoanalytic Freudian-Lacanian idiot. This board is surely garbage, but your views are trash and quackery even by Veeky Forums's standards. If you don't understand basic neuroscience, it doesn't mean that it's magically wrong.

>Yes, as if this was never tried already.
My way of doing has never been tried on a large scale, actually. You only find it in small case reports and anecdotal experiences.

We know a lot more about the brain now to substantiate what's already obvious to anyone paying attention. Time for the chemical imbalance nonsense to die in public relations rhetoric.

Yep, and seen hundreds of recordings of patients with it.
Most are disorganized at least to a moderate degree, but have at least remote self-criticism. Some (a small percentage) were aware that they were going crazy, and feared how their mental state was declining.

Some are very functional on the other hand, and can appear to be almost completely normal. This is usually more the case for the paranoid subtype than for other forms.

WTF? That's like saying "physics is wrong because more and more predictable models are discovered all the time, therefore it should be replaced by astrology and alchemy".

You are being completely illogical. The neuroscientific and international psychiatric consensus had always been superior to your dumb psychoanalytic nonsense. Your views are harmful garbage. They're on par with "muh teach creationism" and anti-vaxers.

Yeah for me it just irks me some days, but I can function perfectly fine with my medication. Pretty much with any disorder you can get through it as long as you aren't completely batshit crazy.

Jesus fucking Christ this is insane. Why do they call it SCHIZOTYPAL-STYLE PERSONALITY IF IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SCHIZOPHRENIA?????

It leads to bullshit like this, where now everyone prescribing drugs to you believes you have schizophrenia and is making adjustments accordingly, probably fucking you up even more even though you had no serious personality disorder in the first place.

Jesus fuck. This field of medicine needs to be fucking purged.

Oh, really? Then psychoanalysis needs to be banned for being the fraud and scam it is.
It is far better to have treatments that work most of the time, for most people, then to follow psychoanalysts who misdiagnose hysteria in an epileptic patient, and put it on a pedestal as being their best achievement (no really - read up on Anna-O and Freud).

>That's like saying
The two statements are nothing alike. The brain is a completely different black box.

>You are being completely illogical.
He says as he spews substanceless clutter in defense of a field that objectively does, not, get, results. Worse still when we have the means to know better.

If you really think anti-psychotic medication, anti-depressants, applied behavior analysis and other methods of modern EVIDENCE-BASED psychiatry are ineffective, you must be suffering from denial.

This board is dedicated to science, not the denial of it. Go spew your psychoanalytic lunacy on /x/.
Maybe after you failing to build enough report there, your psychotic defense mechanisms would be alleviated, and you would be cured from your psychoanalytic ambivalence. :^)

>anti-depressants
Multiple large scale meta-analysis have shown antidepressants are no more effective than placebo in all but the most extreme (clinical) cases.

Psychiatry is not evidence based, nor are its claims. A simple look at medicated people and how solved and understood their problems are, makes this very obvious.

>applied behavior analysis
More the realm of cognitive neuroscience, neurology, psychology, etc. Most psychiatrists are too dogmatic and lazy to bother learning about their patients individual.

Binary thinking is probably the worst thing about our species.

No, the abstract and mechanical approaches are not mutually exclusive. It's not an either or relationship. If everyone got that through their head we'd all be a lot better off.

Besides, if you knew anything about what you're saying, you'd know primitive psychiatry was doing far, far, far worse in that era.