This is the intro computer science course for the most prestigious university in the world. How does that make you feel?

This is the intro computer science course for the most prestigious university in the world. How does that make you feel?

youtu.be/3YD66bHehhQ?t=2m9s

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/0m6hoOelZH8?t=34m40s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

CS majors are the dumbest majors in any university.

Since "prestigious" does only mean that the universtity makes a log of money and looks good on the outside... is it possible that some of the universitys programms are only meant to pamper rich kids and acquire money? I'm just asking.

lel they should give this course in elementary school

So I guess you've never been to any of prestigious unoverditys m8
Also, checked

Multi threading is the most important topic in modern programming. Why is it sufficient to teach these students multi threading through fucking scratch?

Literally C++ and windows.h will teach you how this shit works in and out and you will be a better programmer for it but no, lets give these babies a fucking graphical interface and a high level programming language where nothing will ever go wrong because god forbid one of our shitty students crashes his own 3000 mac laptop and then sues the school for his own incompetence.

>These are the people who will be managing your country's cyber security in 2030

We might aswell just make the entire government's database accesible for Russia now because it is just a matter of time.

harvard has one of the best math programs in the world

aside from that I guess most of their degrees are ez money prestige-based deals

It's not that simple. The Ivies and Oxbridge do have some of the best facilities and professors in the world, however there is a problem with grade inflation in the humanities in a lot of Ivy league schools (with maybe the exception of Cornell U.)

universities like Harvard and MIT always give dumbed down versions of their classes online.

>Harvard
>presitigous when it comes to STEM

Try MIT or Stanford.

Does this looks "dumbed down" to you?

youtu.be/0m6hoOelZH8?t=34m40s

>X does A
>shows X doing B
>"Does this look like A to you?"
fuck off retard

Is that the CS is not about computers nor science guy?

My nigga.

It is dumbed down, but not at the same level. The purpose of dumbing down is to be pedagogical and the dude in that video is fucking awesome. My lecturer never dumbed down anything, he was always rigorous and thus it was a pain because I had to come 100% prepared to every seminar/lecture. Also it's been years since I used LISP last time. We had it as introductory course in programming and one of the labs were exactly what he is talking about in the video, however we made a compiler written in LISP instead of an interpreter.

Not that guy, but a more accurate version would be:

>X ALWAYS does A
>shows X doing B
>"Does this look like A to you?"

Which is actually correct and not retarded so please do not be so rude.

CS is something you learn on your own, you don't need university for that.

Rather study math alongside math if you want something useful.

Yeah, it's him.

no one said always
the point was the vid in the OP is shitty because top unis tend to post dumbed down versions of their stuff online

>universities like Harvard and MIT ALWAYS give dumbed down versions of their classes online.

Do I need to point it with an arrow or something?

He is called Harold Abelson.
He was a god according to my professors at a university in Sweden.

They are still teaching LISP to EE students as babby's first language.

they always give dumbed down versions of their classes online. they also always post actual lectures on edX and others.

the grocery always sells soda. they also sell water.

I'm going through the SICP textbook right now. I also went through some of the MIT edx version of their intro to cs course (although obviously watered down).

Their new course is basically "how to take advantage of programming even if you'll never take another cs course in your life". I like SICP but it really is assorted stuff the author put in, and since I'm a CS noob who can't see the bigger picture I don't know which parts are useful and which aren't.

I think the Harvard intro course aims to be even broader than the MIT one.

lol We messed around with that program a little bit in high school; in computer class. Good times... We'd play halo on the LAN with each other once we got all our work done.

I need to insert one year sequence generated from yes and no into a cyclotron or something, how to do it without computer? How can I count economic values without good computer? Isnt computer science good for making communication and education more effective? Arent magnetic hardiscs good recording medium for amplitudal wave?

implenting "glide" procedure alone in C would take 5 times more code than this "script"

>a floating fish script is computer science
>posting b8
Pottery

>watch cs50 lecture
>watch people make sandwiches and tear phone books apart
im leardning

SICP is trying to teach you not just the skills of a programmer but also a successful mindset of a programmer. If all you want to learn is "what's the right way to implement X algo" then you're right, that stuff is unnecessary, but in the long wrong that stuff that seems useless now can make the difference between a stumbling voodoo programmer who doesn't know why their code does or doesn't work, and a truly knowledgeable coder.

>can make the difference between a stumbling voodoo programmer who doesn't know why their code does or doesn't work, and a truly knowledgeable coder.
Excuse me sir, do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior?

>Literally C++ and windows.h

Now I'm not advocating scratch, but you're just a complete fucking retard if you think these two stinkers belong in a proper CS course.

You seem to think that prestigious university is equivalent to having nothing but intensive and theoretical coursework.