Is it possible to bend light by using multiple double slits in a row?

Is it possible to bend light by using multiple double slits in a row?

Pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraunhofer_diffraction_(mathematics)#Cartesian_co-ordinates)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I can bend my dick using multiple double sluts.

Anyways, If you imagine light as water, it would most likely spread in a way pictured here. So the answer would have to be no.

sure most of it gets lost however. after a few iterations you would hardly have anything left

>> There are better ways to do this OP

You don't really bend shit, it's just re-emitted. Might as well use a mirror or a fiber.
In order to change the path of light it has to interact with something.

Alternatively you can bend spacetime but technically the light is still going straight.

What exactly are you trying to do?

I'm trying to make an invisibility cloak by making a box with slits around it to bend the light to the back of me so I'm indivisible from one direction

>What exactly are you trying to do?
He's obviously trying to make a fusion reactor.

rolf this is like them troll science memes lmao

possible, yes
effective, no

good luck bro

You don't need two slits per screen, first of all. Secondly, you'd need to position the apertures so as the light falls on them at a right angle. In the far field it's possible to approximate diffraction by a Fourier transform (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraunhofer_diffraction_(mathematics)#Cartesian_co-ordinates) and a linear phase shift (corresponding to an angled aperture) would cause a shift in the spatial frequency. This would probably get more complicated in your case, as the distance between screens might not be enough to consider it a far field. I'm not bored enough to do the math myself.

Read a book on optics, or buy a laser pointer and do the experiment yourself.

>so I'm indivisible from one direction
Thanks for the laugh man

Uh, diffraction? OPs idea would work even if you had perfect absorbers for the material the slits are cut out of.

OP, this isn't going to help you do what you want it to. You need refraction to make a cloak. And not only that, but refraction caused by materials not found in nature. You should check out metamaterials and the 2D metamaterial microwave cloak. It's some pretty cool shit. Look up J.Pendry and D.Smith for more info.

>diffraction
diffraction is practically re-emission, and in fact very lossy in terms of spatial coherence.

>diffraction is practically re-emission
This is patently not true for a double slit. If you want to argue, consider a double slit cut out of perfect absorber in vacuum. Just where is this 'practical re-emission' in this experiment?

>You don't really bend shit, it's just re-emitted
>he fell for the re-emission meme

I have never laughed that hard on Veeky Forums. Thanks man

Why not use a mirror op what the fuck is this autism

I'm new to science, but I think you may have misunderstood the question

I think the main question is does light wawes act like water wawes? With water this kind of setup would work.

And questions about what I'm going to do with this: Nothing, purely a theoretical setup

>Why not use a mirror op what the fuck is this autism

The spectrum of light in question might not be kind to mirrors.

2 issues (at least)

Issue 1:

This must be lossy. Therefore, the obstruction will very likely still be visible due to a loss in intensity.

Issue 2:

This works thanks to the phenomenon of resonance which means that the thing has to be tuned to one specific frequency.

This technology is really cool, but not terribly practical. The really cool thing is using locally resonant microstructures to cloak things underwater from sonar.

Issue 1: yes, it is lossy. The cloak mostly works as intended, but in actuality it just makes the object inside look really small, so there is still some scattering.

Issue 2: Yes again.

I agree, the cloak is pretty much done and over. We've tried making 3D cloaks, but they only work at certain angles (and frequencies).

We definitely do acoustics. Had some guy working on submarine cloaks to hide wake. We also have worked on sound cloaks. The math is different because sound doesn't automatically satisfy relativity, but I think metamaterial sound absorbing house meat will become widely available one day.

Get several sheets of white paper. Cut holes in the paper. Arrange them like in the diagram. Did you get light on your dick? Then you have your answer.

google fiber optics

With your method you'll lose brightness over each iteration.

Get over it, engineer, they broke up, can't hide in a box forever, you have to find a way to separate yourself from one direction.

It is impossible to bend light, but you can refract and reflect it.