What's the most avant garde literature that isn't pretentious self-indulgent wanky shite? pic related

what's the most avant garde literature that isn't pretentious self-indulgent wanky shite? pic related

Wayside school

mon mem(e)oir tbqh

Five Spice Street. I recommend reading at least the first chapter.

Is there any a avant-garde that won't be considered self-indulgent? Doesn't the term imply certain mannerisms, a radical originality one way or another, if not a certain arrogance towards the perceived mainstream? If it does, then any avant-garde is prone to be perceived as wankery at some point.

For example, I was going to recommend a few key surrealist texts, such as The Hearing Trumpet or Paris Peasant, but they sure as hell are self-indulgent. This doesn't make them necessarily bad, if you know what you're up for.

fault in our stars

Perec est l'autisme fait littérature. ça ne plaît qu'aux autistes réprimés. d'ailleurs, c'est peut être ça l'avant-garde après tout...

>tbqh

non.

It's not avant garde. He just succeeded in not using the letter "e".

is that shit translatable?

A Hungarian eszperente translation would be fun.
It's a game where we use no other vowel but 'e'.

Can something be avante-garde without opening itself up to a dismissal as pretentious?

Queneau, I'd say. Excercices de style was amazing, Zazie is also supposed to be good but I haven't read it.
Both Oulipo, so maybe that had something to do with it.

He actually wrote a lipogram containing solely the letter E.

Perec was dope, this frog is the actual autist, I bet he reads Houllebecq (an actual autist). For all his OuLiPo gimmicks and shit, he always managed to deliver good stories, ranging from absolutely wacky to extremely moving.

Life: A user's manual is one of my favourite books ever, and I've been planning to start collecting Disparition translations for a while (so far, I only have two, since my country's currency is low as shit)

It's been translated into a number of languages, actually. Not necessarily without the letter 'e' though, IIRC Perec chose the 'e' because it's the most common in French, whereas it would be the 'a' in Italian, for example.

In spanish, tho

César Aira is good.

currently reading pic related

>most avant garde literature that isn't pretentious self-indulgent wanky shite
>oulipo
Pick one

is this avant garde?

The english version of Zazie is very good, you should read it.

That book certainly is "pretentious self-indulgent wanky shite".

Read that book and take something intelligent from it, I dare you.

Petersburg? Then again it's more experimental.

There's a chapter in which they start doing measurements and at some point you get presented a scientific explanation of how the sound they used to calculate the distances between certain walls in the hall was affected by the uncommon concentrations of gases in the air, at which point they realize they got the materials wrong and whatnot.
There are also a lot of fragments about architecture and some philosophy about nothingness.
TLDR: Can be cherry-picked.

But then again, I didn't start reading it expecting to "gain intelligence" by doing so.