Modern Library Classics> NYRB Classics> Oxford world classics> Penguin Classics...

Modern Library Classics> NYRB Classics> Oxford world classics> Penguin Classics. (sometimes Penguin is better than Oxford but more often than not, Oxford is better)

Agreed?

>no norton critical
>no bedford case studies
>no vintage contemporaries

you didn't even try

I've honestly never even heard of Modern Library.

>one fairly ordinary publisher is better than another

is this really the sort of thing you spend time thinking about, user?

I'd switch NYRB and ML only because NYRB covers are the most aesthetically pleasing in all of bookdom

Never owned any books from said publishers. Please feel free to adjust the rating list .

>not caring about text, notes, intros , spines, paper quality, acidity, cover art

doverfag plz leave

New Directions is the GOAT.

this. I have to stop myself from buying a book with a story that I know is bland as fuck because the cover is so allluring

i prefer a higher class of publisher for books i actually want to keep, user.
all the mass-market ones named above are virtually interchangeable.

actually no

i like the everyman hardcovers

also
>norton critical

What's wrong with Norton? I'm buying certain books and they're the versions i'm looking at.

im seconding them as a quality publication

phew

I heard their translations are hit and miss. Though that's an issue with any publisher.

That's fine, I take translations case-by-case anyway, but for English works i want the one with the best essays.

At used book stores I only look for NYRB or ML texts. I can get a used book from a whatever-publisher online for pennies; I'd rather look for nice covers and hopefully good stories.

I'll admit that a fair number of the NYRBs I pick up have shit-boring synopses, but a fair number of others have been really great blind finds.

They will sometimes Jew you with abridgements.
Their edition of Leviathan is heavily abridged, which one wouldn't suspect since abridgement is a pretty strange choice for a "critical" edition.

I don't generally buy books, I take them from my mom's house or borrow them from friends, the library, book exchanges, hostels or pirate them if it is just reference material. How do you justify spending so much on books when they can be had for free in almost unlimited supply and it is unlikely you will ever reread a particular one?

NYRB > Grove Press > like 1/2 the Norton criticals > Oxford World = old yellow/black Penguin > Modern Library Classics > new black/orange Penguin > Dover > Wordsworth

well fuck, i'll be careful about that then.

Probably because my mom doesn't have everything I want to read

>not rereading
yuck

and as a teacher i kinda have to have a good library for my students

I reread the Myth of sysphus because it was fairly demanding and I related strongly to the material. I'm not going to reread Moby Dick, Capital in the 21st century, the count of Monte Christo, or a good number of other books that I am reading to familiarize myself with but which don't strongly relate to my interests. Am I taking a horrible approach? It just seems like there is far to much to read anyway and a great deal of it is has overlapping content.

I rarely reread books, but enjoy having them on hand to refer to them in case someone brings one up in an interesting discussion.

>that pic

Is THIS the kind of thing you spend time thinking about, user?

such as?

If you are too dependent on one publisher, without constantly re-evaluating your options, you are setting yourself up to eventually be betrayed.

Based on my experience.

Loeb>OWC>Classics of Western Spirituality>Hackett>Norton>Cambridge>other universities>NYRB>Clarendon>Vintage>MLC>Dover>>>Penguin

What has Grove Press published that's good?

WHERE'S NEW DIRECTIONS

What has New Directions published that's good?

I like them b/c the publish William Empsons works. Also Nightwood

nine banded books

If your approach includes rereading Camus but only reading Moby Dick once its a shit approach.
The only time Camus is even worth touching for the first time is as a basic french text for learning.

yes
absolutely yes it is

LoA = Hackett = Loeb > NYRB > Everyman > Modern Library Classics = Oxford World Classics > The Rest > Dover etc

>I reread the Myth of sysphus because it was fairly demanding
You don't deserve those trips.

Not him but they published all kinds of great stuff. Just glancing at my shelf I see that they did Burroughs, Beckett, Genet, Kosinski, Acker. That's probably not the best sample -- they mostly published slightly avant-garde stuff from the 70s-90s.

They don't really reprint classics, though, so they're not super relevant to this discussion.

>but a fair number of others have been really great blind finds
NYRB exists for the insane quality of books that you never heard of.

>Loeb
Truly the most patrician of publishers, but they need more collections, and soft covers at reasonable prices.

How would you rate Pushkin Press and Silver Spoon?

Half of John Hawkes' books
The Real Life of Sebastian Knight
A bilingual edition of Flowers of Evil
Paris Spleen
Nightwood

>soft covers at reasonable prices
>"patrician"

and another word becomes meaningless

a little over dramatic

>soft covers

???

I don't think their prices are particularly reasonable either.

possibly should have just said "that word doesn't mean what you think it means" but that just invites the response "why what does it mean then?" and i really can't be arsed dealing with someone who thinks that cheap paperbacks are "patrician"

>the medium matters more than the content
Spotted the Tribune of the Plebs.

You realize that Classics programs require students to buy 10-20 of these at 21 Euro a pop right

the same content is usually available in several forms
now begone

wow that's €210-€420. oh the humanity
but it's ok they'll soon be able to make that back with the high paying jobs to which a classics qualification instantly gives them access

thought this pic was a waffle at first glance, disappointed that its not. saged

Why?

I've recently gotten into Dalkey Archive Press. They're up there with NYRB in my opinion.

>he thinks higher education is job training
shiggy

Dalkey is the best publisher with regard to consistent quality but (like Grove) they don't have a classics imprint, which seems to be what this is about. The quality of Dalkey is in content, where this discussion seems to be on other things.

is there a list of publishers who use acid free paper?

dover is actually acid-free unlike penguin, vintage, wordsworth, and oxford believe it or not.