When I make chicken soup, I make it kinda by memory by how my mom and grandmother taught me...

When I make chicken soup, I make it kinda by memory by how my mom and grandmother taught me, that is with comfort herbs like parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, and maybe tarragon or a bay leaf or two, veggies, and chicken thighs cooked and simmered in butter and garlic.

I had a friend tell me that was retarded and I'm just muddying up chicken soup, which should be simple: chicken breast, stock and onion to taste.

What is the right answer? How do you make your soup, Veeky Forums? Gimme some personal recipes

Your friend is a fucking mook

Not many people I know like to cook, the few that I do know are somewhere between elitist and utilitarian and take pride in bland things.

No, I am not Russian

Your friend is fucked. I just made a delicious chicken soup last week.

> Prepped chicken stock out of the freezer
> Bone in, skinless chicken thighs
> Saute until golden
> Onions, carrots, and celery
> Saute in pot
> Add chicken stock
> Add chicken thighs with bones
> Add fresh herb braid (rosemary, thyme, bay, sage)
> Boil an hour or two
> Remove chicken from bones, discard bones, shred chicken.
> Cook noodles in stock separately

Lately I've been using ramen noodles....easy to have just a serving or two of noodles and they absorb the soup broth nicely.

Who are you quoting?

> Chicken breast
> No bones

> Stock
> I bet its from a box

> Onions
> Not a true mir poix

Op here, upd8n.

Got my soup on a simmer right now, bones and herbs tied so I can just take them out later, noodles on the side and some Guinness chilling in the fridge, it's gon b fun tonight, thanks for watching

Your friend is retarded and next time he wants chicken soup give him a cup of hot water and a bullion cube.

I start with onions, carrots, celery, and move forward. I use the same herbs you mention. The biggest difference is that I like my soups hearty, so I always throw in some noodles, or potatoes to provide some carbs.

I've been thinking about adding taters for a while, but I don't want to eat soggy potatoes.

How do you prepare them? I've thought about it and I think baby red potatoes, cut up, would be the best, but I dunno.

Add them for the last 30 minutes. Red or yukon gold. I prefer yukon gold for more depth of flavor.

I might throw that into this batch, do you roast them at all? Or just cut and simmer?

Onions, celery, carrots fried, a few tablespoons of butter and flour, hot stock, simmer, aromatics, simmer, soup.
It's better if you make the stock fresh and use the chicken from the stock.
Aromatics: black pepper, basil, ground mustard, marjoram, maybe oregano, crushed red pepper, or even a tablespoon of bacon fat

Cut and simmer.

He's got the right idea, I subscribe to it, make each thing taste as fantastic as possible while using fewest ingredients. Salt, pepper, chicken, stock. I want to taste the meat or the broth, and not a mixture of herbs.
but if you like it, you like it, but it's not the same impressive as making something simple taste 10/10

i wouldn't say it's retarded. chicken soup is very much a comfort food, and i like it the same way you do even if it isn't technically the best way of making it because that's how i had it growing up.

>implying people haven't been abusing the greentext feature since 2009

>everybody ITT using carrots

your friend is a knob, make what you want the way you like it and fuck that cunt

personally I prefer rice, or better yet, dumplings

>leaving a primary ingredient out of the holy trinity
jackass

it's an unholy trinity and everybody keeps perpetuating it

>I don't like carrots so no one should use them
ok son

is it wrong to just use boneless chicken cuts? I have some boness chicken thighs in the freezer. I usually don't bother with bone in things since its the same price

brown them in oil first.

Soups are for poor people who lived in the fifties.