I've finally made the official major tier list using actual research made by professionals

I've finally made the official major tier list using actual research made by professionals.

You will find that this list is much harsher than your typical list and that is on purpose. I see no reason to protect the feelings of people who make bad decisions.

If you are in this list then congrats, if not then it is time to pull the trigger.

Other urls found in this thread:

news.mit.edu/2015/automating-big-data-analysis-1016
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>want to go into a physics program
>everyone is telling me to go into engineering because muh employment

>went into EEng (I have considered physics but muh employment, and electronics looked interesting)
>starting PhD this year, and regretting I didn't go into physics after all
Just follow your dreams user, you're fucked either way.

Physics is still great tier which means that it has a fairly high salary and employment rate.

Engineering is objectively better though.

>cognitive science
What do you do with a major like that?
What makes it different from regular psychology?

The standard is pay and employment statistics.

I wonder if there is a genuine tier list for course content.

Is EE really this good or I am falling for a dumb meme in believing I will not actually be starving after finishing this major?

The metric used to measure is pay and employment. Nothing else.

I have no fucking idea, I just know that it is on the list.

Cognitive Science is at spot 20 while Psychology is at the 200th spot.

Looking at the deeper payscale stats it shows that the main job Cognitive Scientists are getting is Software Engineering. That kinda explains why they are making 6 figures (102k according to research).

That probably sounds like maybe behavioral research using computer models which obviously makes tons of money. This implies that Cognitive Science studies a lot more of mathematics and mathematical modelling in general.

On the other hand, the jobs Psychologists get are in HR departments, Management, etc. Positions that are just the usual needs of a company and that need little to no technical skill in anything.

>Looking at the deeper payscale stats it shows that the main job Cognitive Scientists are getting is Software Engineering. That kinda explains why they are making 6 figures (102k according to research).

Same for Math I bet. I am a bit skeptical that math should be so high though (math major here).

And finance for math majors too, obviously

The first appearance of mathematics in the list is at the 4th spot.

After that CS & Mathematics appears maybe at the 10th.

Then Applied Mathematics at the 20th

Then Mathematics at the 30th

As I said, to not saturate the list with the same degree over and over I put the general field at the first spot it appeared. If I hadn't then mathematics would have been in this list maybe 5 times.

There's really no difference between aerospace and aeronautical engineering. Taking a few classes about satellites isn't going to make you shit at designing planes.

Cognitive is uses quantitative analysis while psychology uses qualitatuve analysis. One is based on math and statistics and the other is based on feelings.

okay. averaging would have been more accurate in this case.

How is it being a Software Engineer? Worth pursuing?

Lucrative, but math is more fun IMO.

Except this is false entirely. You're thinking of clinical psychology. Medicine is to biomedical science what clinical psychology is to cognitive psychology. One is the application of the other.

Wait, so all this time, you guys were rating majors by level of income?

I always assumed you guys had a massive hard on for things like 'scientific rigor' or the amount of math involved. I never figured you guys for a bunch of materialistic shekel hoarders.

>rigor
I don't think that any of the majors of that list are going to be easy.

a biology degree is all well and good but struggling to find a job after 4+ years of school is probably not very fun

Where is medicine?

Quantim computing physics is pretty top teir. Its ee for smart people.

So how different is Cognitive Science from Neuroscience? I know psychology is basically a meme compared to those two, but I don't know much about their differences.

Is neuro not on the degree list because it's a fairly new bachelor? Or is it just another way to call cogsci?

But a bio degree that leads you to medical school will net you more income than any of the unbelievable tier jobs. Unless this list completely assumes you never go on for further degrees.

>starting PhD this year, and regretting I didn't go into physics after all
In engineering or physics?

I saw people who did at least their bsc in EE and later they did their phd in (applied) physics.

There is plenty of physics like opportunities in EE. (Although this depends on your uni. too.)

So are you sure you researched your opportunities properly? If not, then do it now, there may still be an easier way to go into physics than restarting. Probably you could do an msc in physics to get into the physics side either way.

Cognitive psychology, cognitive science and cognitive neuroscience are pretty comparable. I share an office with the former two, and I'm a neuroscientist myself.

Geology doesn't appear anywhere

>geology
>being employed

there's two kinds of geoloscientists:
-the kind that go into gas and oil exploration, which are basically the same as petroleum engineers for purposes of the list
-the kind that go into academia and study interesting things but don't make that much emone

guess which one I am

Isn't there a comfy job waiting for me at the USGS? (U.S Geological Survey, for you non-Americans)

User experience design/research

Cognitive science is interdisciplinary. It's made up of neuroscience, psychology and computer science.

I am sure doctors are not a bachelors degree.

Payscale does have them in the master and doctorate list though, obviously.

>I saw people who did at least their bsc in EE and later they did their phd in (applied) physics.
Here in Europe (or at least my country) you have to do MSc before PhD. And on my university they prefer to take people with the same MSc.

>So are you sure you researched your opportunities properly?
I have, and I'm going to do a more or less physics-related PhD (optics), but it's just I'm annoyed that a good portion of what I've learned in the last five years is going to be useless to me, and that I have to self-teach myself a lot to catch up (I've been to some optics/photonics conferences and felt like a trained monkey when the guys were talking about laser-operated quantum memories and whatnot)

Where's Biotechnology user?

That sounds like a meme.

Biomedical Engineering is there so if you are aiming to specialize in that then I guess you are not so bad.

If not then research says you will be poor.

Biotech is halfway through Biology and Biochem. It's applying the concepts you see in the system in the real world, so at best you can go to a pharma.

And from what I've heard from numerous amount of my friends who've gone into Biomedical Engi, don't do it. Apparently, the professional field is still many years from being a viable career for most graduates.
Unless you're a super student, consider another engineering major, biochem, or general bio.

Again, this is just personal experience though. I don't have the job statistics.

>not doing a single major and a shitload of electives

I have been told now repeatedly by both faculty and alums over several years now that Chemical Engineering is not nearly as lucrative as it was 10 years ago which makes the effort to reward pretty much as low as possible.

I've heard the exact opposite about Geology

Do some internships on the side. Otherwise you will wind up trying to get "data science" jobs and that entire occupation will literally be obsoleted in like 5 years by computer programs.

Majoring in Finance, plan to do MBA or MFin later, should I bother with another major/minors

I love math but how is it paying as well as electrical engineering and petroleum engineering?

> tfw BEng in EE already done, 2.93 GPA
> doing MEng now
I think I'll be alright.

>I love math but how is it paying as well as electrical engineering and petroleum engineering?

Finance industry

Finance =/= math

That is like saying physics gets paid lots of money because electrical engineering is a subset of physics.

>That is like saying physics gets paid lots of money because electrical engineering is a subset of physics.

That's where they hire from.

this. you can always get a job as a physicist with your engr degree, and even vice versa, but engr offers more job prospects if you can't find your dream job in phys

>EE is unbelievable tier

the ride just goes on and on

Is Molecular Biology really this bad? I think DNA and genetics stuff are amazing thing to study, why is it on suicide tier?

Never mind, I missed the fact that it's employment chart.

I didn't see your post, if you're still here though...

I'm from Europe too, but it greatly depends on which country we're talking about so I can't say anything about that.

Well, I learned in my studies that if you want to be a good engineer you need to teach yourself physics, because all the great knowledgeable guys know physics and you will need it for more advanced positions like design, R&D and similar shit. In this perspective engineering is almost too broad.

That's the pitfall of engineering you need more physics than you first thought or you might need "almost none" depending on the path you choose.

However, if your target is the physics side then most likely you will be able to go that way during/after your phd. Actively focus on it.

Yet, I don't know the entirety of your situation so this might be a long shot, but I have a strong guess that your EE training will come in handy. View it like you know things from the applied side all the way to the theoretical side and that certainly will give you an edge with some jobs (interdisciplinary stuff, systems engineering).

So... good luck to you and don't give up even if it gets harder.

>finally decide to lurk this board
>see this thread
>pleasantly surprised to see my major in 'good' tier

Econ undergrad, finance MS and possibly MBA down the road here

Seriously, I would like to see society get by without us Geologists.

What are you going to make things out of, eh OP?

There are many professions in mathematics that make a lot of money and it all has to do with how you specialize and sell yourself as mathematician to your employers.

The best of the best is actuary and you will see that in the payscale research 'Actuarial mathematics' is the degree at 4th place, with other mathematics following not much behind that.

Anyways. check out this other piece of payscale research in pic related to see where the money is being proven to exist in the pockets of mathematicians.

>mathematicians doing anything besides research
How depressing.

I would think that research is not for everyone.

I am majoring in mathematics (second semester) and honestly I am already sure about not going to grad school and becoming an academia researcher. However, I am interested in research in general and my goal is to do private research in a company making the big bucks.

If you ask me, data scientist, quantitative analyst, data modeler and statistician sound like they can easily become 'applied researcher' positions if you are with the right employer.

Not to mention, 6 figures.

Data scientists will be replaced by computer algorithms in less than 5 years.

If a profession is to be replaced by algorithms then that means algorithms will be in high demand.

Oh, Data Scientists make algorithms which implies they will also be in high demand.

Good thing I know how economy works too. That said, Data Science is a shit profession with, in my opinion, a really shitty culture surrounding it.

no

news.mit.edu/2015/automating-big-data-analysis-1016

2/3 the way there already
The human element is literally analogous to using pictures in captchas.

Sure, but not nearly as many "data scientists" as are currently employed. It'll be 1-2 companies that sell out software to everybody else.

Is anybody here in chemical engineering MSc or PhD?

Would you guys say it's worth it? Not really looking forward to working in a factory for my entire life fixing condom manufacturing processes for optimum feels.

>another "my majot is better than yours" thread
Grow up.

t. Computer Scientist

>It'll be 1-2 companies that sell out software to everybody else.

I doubt this.

Hiring a guy or a small team of people inside your company to do data science costs less that hiring an outside company to do it.

Why? Because the outside company needs to make a profit out of its data scientist's work which means that you will pay more to them than they pay to their own teams. In your company your data science people just need to be paid the normal wages for the profession because you do not need to make a profit out of them.

So you would be losing money by hiring another company instead of having your own internal team.

Plus, you would trust more the work of someone who knows the inner workings of your business than someone outside who barely got an explanation and then started writing code.

Inside data scientists will always be prefered.

Companies like what you describe probably will only develop tools that will aid data scientists, nto replace them. But maybe those tools will decrease the amount of data scientists needed per business.

>Companies like what you describe probably will only develop tools that will aid data scientists, nto replace them. But maybe those tools will decrease the amount of data scientists needed per business.

Its not tools, itll literally be algorithms sitting as code that will do all the work it takes a data scientist MONTHS to do in a manner of hours.

As I said, what has happened is basically what happened to 'catpchas'. They were originally devised to force pattern recognition in images that humans at one time performed better than machines at. Now computers are able to defeat most of those entirely which is why captchas are getting so increasingly bizarre.

And this "pattern recognition" is literally what data science is. There is very little room for creativity where brute force can work and work well.

Finance should be God tier.

I study Finance and Mathematics (two degrees) but I think that Finance is one of the best undergraduate degrees you can get if it's from a good school. I mean, I have friends that have graduated and immediately out of school make $150 USD in Manhattan.

>and immediately out of school make $150 USD in Manhattan.
Yeah... but it's Manhattan.

I mean some work in San Francisco, others in Toronto (I go to a Canadian school). Of course, the cost of living in all of these places is high, but regardless of that the sheer opportunity for advancement and the monetary benefits it entails are unprecedented in the field of finance.

After 6-7 years in investment banking (late 20s), it is not uncommon for an individual to be promoted into a VP position and make over 300k.

Of course, you're literally selling your soul. You work non-stop and mostly, your work isn't very meaningful. But if you are in it for the money, there is no better place than finance and investment banking specifically.

I chose to study math so that I could do some more substantial work and also fall back on mathematical experience if and when the financial sector collapses.

What school? Rotmann/Queen's Commerce?

I'm a chem eng at Queen's and most commerce people here go to Toronto and international when finishing.

Know one guy in Hong Kong and another in Singapore. Soul less guys for sure, only see competition and money.

You sound pretty Waterloo to me if you're talking about the San Francisco Bay Area. UofT isn't known much around here.

I actually do go to Queens, lol. But yeah, out of the people going into high finance from most graduating classes, I'd say about ~60% go to Toronto, ~30% go to New York, ~10% go elsewhere.

Personally I'm not trying to go to the states or internationally, the workload, competition and isolation is not appealing. But there are people who, at the end of the day, just want to make themselves rich.

For finance I know primarily Ivey (western) and Queen's students going to SF. For software eng though, I have many friends from waterloo both in and aspiring to be in the bay area, though.

U of T is pretty clear-cut in being the best at the humanities, medicine, certain types of engineering, but not really CS or Finance.

you certainly won't be starving
but the fact that it ranks highest on every chart we have here at sci is probably a meme

I see, my bad then. I work as a software engineer here in the Bay Area and some of the interns I've worked with are from Waterloo, in fact the internship program is what they're known for.

>mfw an undergrad was autistic and stupid near me

Please leave this board and come back when you've actually accomplished something.

>over the age of 24 and on Veeky Forums

>Doing a PhD in chemistry in a materials science project

Where do I fall?

Also, there was another list I saw before that currently holds the record for best list so far. It took into account the degrees success at the bachelors level, and gave exceptions and tier bumps based on if you had a higher level degree or not. This is a serious concern for me since B.Sc. chemistry is waaaay different from PhD. I know you specified bachelors degrees in your chart, I'm just saying that more all-encompassing ones exist.

I have a philosophy degree and work as a chemist for the government.

Sophistry > Knowledge when it comes to finding lucrative employment these days. Gotta bullshit with the best of them.

>Doing a PhD in chemistry in a materials science project
>Where do I fall?
Say hello to your replacement Raheed from India. He's staying over with an H1B Visa to do your job much cheaper. For other jobs you better be top 1% of your class because there aren't many.

It's essentially neuroscience, but heavily linked with computer science.

There are two schools of AI, the traditional side, in which the goal is to get programs to act rationally, and the cognitive science side, in which the goal is to create a digital brain. If you've ever read anything about people modeling neurons/brains in computers that's done by cognitive scientists

Computer engineer is more worthwhile, will let you get inside and outside the box

Are you aware that this world needs cleaners?
And those cleaners should not consider suicide, because I don't want to live in shit.

Don't listen to OP at this matter, he didn't think this through, respect to all hard workers out there.

>If you are in this list then congrats, if not then it is time to pull the trigger.
>Makes list with very few majors.
Shit list.

>>Makes list with very few majors.
>Shit list.
Implying there aren't many degrees which aren't better used as toilet paper

Are you dissing workers at McDonalds?

Those guys are mostly cool, I need them.

what about women studies majors? i think we should be even above the unbelievable tier

>much harsher
>puts shitty engineerings above physics
>puts shitty engineerings at the same level of master race math

real list:

God tier:
Pure math, Theoretical physics
High tier:
Applied math, Applied physics, Theoretical computer science, chemistry
Mid tier:
Engineering (all), biology, ecology, geology, medicine
Low tier:
"Computer science", finance & economics, accounting, pseudo-engineering and pseudo-science like "industrial engineering", "Supply chain management" and shit
Shit tier:
Everything else if I didn't miss something

you forgot what said

READ THE FUCKING INFOGRAPH YOU MONGOLOIDS

which one

>money is everything: the thread

every single time, lmao. you virgins are retarded

lmao triggered by female empowerment huh?

>This list was compiled from objective Payscale research that ranks bachelor degrees on how much their holders are earning immediately out of school and then a couple of years down the line.

yeah but you dont take into account how women only get 40 cents per dollar a male makes

>ranks bachelor degrees on how much their holders are earning immediately out of school and then a couple of years down the line

hahahaha holy shit
>hurr I earn more than a pure math major so i'm better!
>t.faggot brainlet

>pretends to be superior for earning the most autistic degree possible
>is starving to death in a shitty apartment in Chicago

kek

>40 cents to the dollar
That's true, but most women's studies majors work at Starbucks, where even men earn like $10 bucks an hour max.

thats oppressive

>I-I still h-have more money than you!
b r a i n l e t

if you are so smart, why are you poor?