Women leave STEM because of calculus

>There are many “leaks” in the so-called STEM pipeline, including educational shortfalls and cultural issues like stereotyping. But there may be one issue in particular that’s having a profound impact on the number of women in STEM: the notoriously difficult college math class, Calculus I, a new study from Colorado State University finds.

huffingtonpost.com/entry/calculus-stem-gender-gap_us_57a1b9eee4b0e2e15eb7df83

>notoriously difficult

>pass me please!!!
>meritocracy is evil!!!! waaaa!!!

>the notoriously difficult college math class, Calculus I

LOL.

The article itself is so much worse than that.

Apparently, women are less confident in a calc class (because of the cultural belief that men are better at math), and that's why they fail- confidence.

Meanwhile: actual current Calc 1 male student with a midterm exam today here.

I FEEL DECIDEDLY UNCONFIDENT.

Still, not gonna fail. Prolly get a B.

>notoriously difficult college math class, Calculus I

This is what happens when women take Calculus I and fail.

it's funny, because women actually have better grades. they may be less confident, but mostly are even better in school and college

Math ability has nothing to do with confidence.

I always thought of some of the more difficult courses front loaded was a good idea. If people, especially women apparently, are neither gifted enough or hardworking enough to get it, then I definitely do not want them designing my bridges, cars and buildings. It saves time for everyone involved. If you can't pass Calc I easily or through perseverance, GTFO. Your gonna fail somewhere down the line. Best save a year or two and switch to Sociology now.

Maybe ability doesn't but performance does. If you panic and freeze up you can perform worse while if you are too confident you can get sloppy or fail to check your work.

I hate calculus, it's just so not intuitive and different from rest of the math I know. However I love combinatorics, set theory and discrete math in general. It's all logical and straightforward. But most of the people I know say the opposite. I don't get it.
Explain this to me, Veeky Forums

>calculus isn't intuitive
How so?

Still, the article assumes that women are the only people who get nervous about taking calculus.

Anyone else in here get a little intimidated during their first calc course?

Pic related

Women are less proficient in task that require mathematical rotation and abstract reasoning.

The weeding out process if perfectly natural.

Let them go into developmental psychology.

>Anyone else in here get a little intimidated during their first calc course?
Nope

I am all for equality but if this research actually suggests that calculus is too hard for women then that is honestly evidence for them being mentally inferior.

I mean, here we joke about how stupidly easy the calculus line is. You are telling me that an entire group of people is not even up to the task to pass that joke class?

Furthermore, here we consider that the weeding out class is Calculus II, not calc I. You are telling me that women are getting rek'd even before they enter Calc II?

Well, if anything that explains the STEM gap and hopefully feminists can shut up about it.

>the notoriously difficult college math class, Calculus I

You shut your lying mouth and go meditate on how genius kids get more praise and attention than genius adults.

>Since the study, she said she’s made a special effort “to make sure women have a voice ― and if they get something wrong once, to let them know that’s good and not bad.”

>if they get something wrong once, to let them know that’s good and not bad.”

These people realize that math is objective, right? If you fuck up in math is because you actually made a critical mistake in your own reasoning.

You cannot brush this off so easily. What the fuck?

Is the plan to help women to literally deny reality?

Maybe not, but exam taking ability does and that matters a lot at the calc 1 level

I am genuinely curious what people find difficult about Calc I. The chain rule?

>If you fuck up in math is because you actually made a critical mistake in your own reasoning.

>You cannot brush this off so easily. What the fuck?

>Is the plan to help women to literally deny reality?

I'm loving your reaction.

>Is the plan to help women to literally deny reality?
that's what postmodernism is all about.

I am actually dumbfounded.

Shouldn't the plan be to be harsher on them and point out every single fuck up they make so that they know what to do better next time?

I honestly don't know what to say. Maybe women in STEM should start looking for male counselors because if this is the shit other women are teaching them then no wonder they are fucking up as early as Calc I.

I think it's something more along the lines of "and if they get something wrong once, to let them know that it's not a big deal and that they shouldn't give up", since they probably feel increased pressure and scrutiny what with math being mostly considered a boy's club.

But you probably just wanted to create some elaborate strawman to get triggered by, didn't you?

>But you probably just wanted to create some elaborate strawman to get triggered by, didn't you?

The article literally says 'to let them know that it is good and not bad'.

You are putting words in their mouth, I am not. I am reacting to what they literally said.

I am not creating a strawman, if anything (and assuming you are right) they made a strawman of themselves.

>if women stayed in STEM after Calculus I at rates similar to men, # women entering STEM workforce would increase 75%
Do they realize Calculus I is the tutorial stage of a STEM degree? Shit only gets harder.

They're fucking up because of The data indicates that there is a disparity in ability between the sexes, in relation to abstract mathematical thought, i.e. spatial rotation.

Females are slightly better at mathematical calculation, however.

>arguing over the interpretation of a huffington post article
I'm not shitposting. This is actually autistic. Why do we actually care about this?

>The article literally says 'to let them know that it is good and not bad'.
Yeah, and your interpretation of that is that they're going to "deny reality" and just say whatever answer they got is correct?

I have trouble believing that this is not the kneejerk reaction of someone dying to be offended.

Making a mistake is not good. It is bad.

You usually have time to study before tests, which are announced.

If you reach the testing stage of your class and you are still making mistakes... you fucked up.

That is reality. You have a responsibility to know the content of your class before you show up to a test. If you do not live up to that expectation then you are by definition and bad students.

This applies to men too, and men who fail calc I I see as equally inferior. Just like I see women who can get through a STEM education to be equally capable as their male counterparts.

>straw man

Oh, it's the Debate Club kid again.

All I can say to this post is "no shit", but there's nothing to indicate that the comment was referring specifically to testing scenarios. What if they just meant homework? Or regular class sessions when people are still learning?

Hell, it even includes the caveat "once", implying that if they get something wrong a second time, they won't be given as much sympathy. You're literally grasping at straws here for no reason that I can think of other than to try and rile up some LE DUMB SJW sentiment.

Someone obviously doesn't understand the concept of change in the number of students over time.

I might be wrong in some parts because I tried to avoid calculus as much I could, but:
For example when I have an integral to solve I can't imagine it in any way. I mean, when it comes to discrete math you can usually imagine simpler problem or divide it into parts and try to solve it in head just to test out approaches etc. But it's not really possible in integrals. You get these basic formulas that I also can't imagine how they work, I just had to believe my proofs. We did proved they are correct but it doesn't really let me helped me much and I had to memorize them all hard way which is bullshit, I always could memorize every mathematical formula just by solving few problems. And of course you can't just use these formulas like you would in regular math but use these sneaky beaky methods to combine formulas into something useful but first you need to transform the integral into theirs form. For the latter I couldn't come up with any general algorithm and lectures just said that ability to solve them comes with experience. This is so frustrating and the fact that many integrals just cannot be solved using analytical method makes it even worse.
I know I sound like pretentious idiot, but I always get high scores on logic, combinatorics etc. classes, while people I know usually do the opposite.

why are women so fucking vapid and stupid bros?

Don't all courses have exams?

This is all fucking retarded. If they can't do it for any reason at all, fail them. Let them attend a hugbox class and get fake degrees somewhere else.

Because the world doesn't bother to challenge them. It just keeps lowering the bar to make things easier.

They don't even have to buy their own drinks in bars.

At my school calc2 is the class everyone has trouble with.

The problem with calc courses is they are taught with some kind of meta in mind. Probably because it is relevant to so many fields.

A little off topic. Most schools have a "physics for physics majors" course on top of 'regular' physics. Would be neat if there was a calculus for math majors course. I could do with more proofs and less homework assignments honing my ability to differentiate

Calculus for math majors is usually called analysis

>linking another retarded Huffpo article
fuck off with your shitty article, stop the clickbait bullshit

Well sure, but Its not like someone could take analysis instead.

Reqs for analysis are usually up to calc3 and a proofs course no?

>Reqs for analysis are usually up to calc3 and a proofs course no?

Not where I went.

but the world is easy for people from rich families too, but the stereotype of children from rich families being profligate and unintelligent bimbos like say paris hilton seems to be true a lower proportion of the time.
There are plenty of kids from rich families who are able to at least do well at calc1 or even get good grades at a stem degree in general studying ivy league or elite private colleges or high ranking public universities like caltech

Easiest to hardest
Calc1>>calc3>calc2

Different kind of easy. A kid with rich parents can still be pushed to perform well in school.

IQ is highly heritable and IQ is strongly correlated with wealth

>Affirmative action makes it so 55% of college students in 2014 were female
>Females are most desirable in STEM, are given lower standards and first priority for jobs
>Still willingly choose other fields at a higher rate than men who "dominate" STEM.

>the notoriously difficult math class is part of the only stream of math classes where you could just bash your head against practice problems and pass without thinking

very true. i'm finishing calc II right now and calc I felt braindead easy in comparison.

>article says Calculus I is the weed-out course
>little did the huffingtonpost journalist know that Calculus II was the real weed-out

if you guys want some real cringe read the comments on the article

>if you guys want some real cringe read the comments on the article

Fuck man, how did I not think of this? I just read the article and left. YOU ARE A GENIUS

>first comment
>I took AP calculus and it was so hard it made me give up on mathematics

FUCKING HELL. I am going to enjoy this.

This is now a comments highlights thread, niggers.

Ooh I found a full blown cuck.

>From a very young age I was aware that women had the short end of the stick. Being a science nerd, most of my science heros were women, such as Jane Goodall, Margaret Mead, Eugenie Clark, Rachel Carson, Rosalind Franklin, etc.

Does anyone here recognize any of those names? I fucking don't. Holy fucking shit this guy is lying through his teeth to impress women on a fucking comment section?

Seriously. I had to remember 16 identities, 5 or 6 methods and work some harder trig, algebra than precal. If you cant do that in 3 months, you shouldnt be in STEM

kek

That's it. I'm becoming a tranny.

Jane Goodall is the chimp lady thats all i know

Hey Trump supporters, stop mansplaining or you will die as virgins.

To be fair, you *should* recognize Goodal and Franklin, though I agree with your point.

What irritates me is that Emmy Noether blows most female academics out of the water, and yet is never mentioned in these stupid lists. I'd wager most people concerned about such lists cannot begin to understand any of Noether's numerous contributions. The irony.

>anonkun can I sit with you in class?
>anonkun did you take notes?
>anonkun yes we can hang out but we have to study
>anonkun I already failed this class once it's a piece of cake!
360 the fuck out of there

I find it funny because from the women scientists threads in this board I know a quite a few names but not even there have I seen those names.

That nigga was diving wikipedia to get that female pandering right.

All math is a snooze you're just stupid

no you're stupid

I found more fucking cringe

>Even better than STEM is STEAM (Science, Tech, Engineering, ARTS, Math). Studetns in The Arts learn there are many possibilities, not just one correct answer. "Knowlege is limited; imagination encircles the world." ~Albert Einstein

Remember that university that wanted to link arts with STEM to make it look like they were not just retarded unemployed morons? The meme has caught on in feminist circles and that is just fucking hilarious.

Do not try to better yourself! Just lower the standards of greatness and you will be great by default.

Art? Yeah, that is part of STEAM!

>Calculus
>Difficult

the question is... what major doesn't fall into STEAM?

Nice dubs idiot retard

I had the same stance, then, one night, i decided that if integrals are a sum of elemental parts that i should be able to calculate the surface of a simple shape with it, i did it for a square (x=1 from 0 to 1) and for a right angle rectangle (x = from 0 to 1) and the integral gave me the same formula as the standars one. Try it.

By arts to they mean fine arts and liberal arts?

None!

Everyone is great and everyone is smart! Do not better yourself, just define your position as great.

Medicine, law, women's "science"

you didnt even get dubs, whos the idiot retard now

TV/VCR repair

I recommend that we drop STEM and start calling it

STEAMQWRYUIOPDFGHJKLZXCVBN

That is all the letters so it is impossible for someone to be left out.

We are all geniuses!

Do they teach other kinds of art in college?

Took it as a freshman. In high school. So no.

You forgot Ö

DCK's back, this this is so old, he ain't no kid no more.

That is not a real letter.

Sorry your major in Ömosexuality does not make you smart. Get a real letter.

I assure you I received zero praise and hardly more than zero attention as a kid, and freshman year of high school was over ten years ago. There's a reason why I spend my days on Veeky Forums, normie scum.

So is anyone going to explain what is actually difficult about calculus I? Or is everyone just going to keep spouting the "you just don't understand!" bullshit?

I was curious if they refered to them both or just one of them.

I already do it, I also can imagine derivatives as an "angle" of line on plot.
But it doesn't really help in any way when you have complex integrals. Fortunately, as a CS student I've done all calculus I'll ever need(at least for the Licentiate), but I might try learn it again just for self-education later.

Women leave STEM cause you cant think while giving birth. Or having a period. Or after a BBC decimates you.

Lots of European high schools teach calc I.

Not difficult so much as intimidating, mostly due to hearing everyone bitch about it before you even set foot in the classroom. But also in that it can call on all the minute algebraic tricks and properties you've forgotten about. Like conjugates. Who the fuck remembers conjugates by the time they take calc?

>tfw working on a math phd
>still struggle with complicated integrals
At least I don't need them in combinatorics

How can a news outlet decimate anything? Also, last time I checked there was only one BBC.

Use your imagination.

After actually taking the class, I really don't understand why most people consider calculus to be the hard math class. I'm a psychology major who took his algebra and trig in High School during dual enrollment but when I decided I wanted to become a pre med student over two years later I had to then also take Calculus after not doing any math besides statistics in years. But the class was easy and kinda fun. Hell the hardest parts were the trig and algebra and I'd dare to say those classes are harder. I ended up with a 97 average without too much difficulty. Yet all these "engineers", both male and female, were struggling so much in the class and bitch at the teacher every day. Especially about problems that required you to actually think a little and not just recite a formula and number crunch.

That all being said, the smartest person in the class was a chinese girl who was also one of the few math majors.

Spotted the lackluster compsci major

Are you guys retarded?

Is this dude the only one who can read out of you lot?

I've experienced a similar thing in my classes and I don't understand it either. I've come to the conclusion that these people are just fucking retarded and don't belong in an engineering school. I know I'm not particularly smart, yet I didn't find calculus challenging.

>Is this dude the only one who can read out of you lot?

Let me fix that for you

>Is this the only guy who can read between the lines and assume the motivation behind a comment that was actually pretty simple and straightforward and mentioned none of what this guy is taking from it

Maybe he is right but I suppose you are from the
>you can't take the bible literally!
school of retardation.

>doing statistics without calculus

Don't math majors have the nearest 50/50 male-female split out of all the STEM majors?

I bet he is also voting for Trump! That scumbag!

They do but in the minds of feminists it is not about focusing on the positives but exagerating the negatives to construct a narrative of systemic hate towards women.

You will never see a feminist mention anything about how women are 90% of biologists. That just doesn't matter to them. It is not about winning the 'fight', it is about making the war as long as possible so they can keep getting paid for making these retarded articles.