Female characters by female authors

Recommend me some books whose perspective or main character is female age 24 to 56, preferably by a female author.

I'm writing a story about a lonely kindergarten teacher whose student dies. Need some more female perspective.

Already reading Alice Munro, Virginia Wolfe and Alice McDermott but need more.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Lcjx82D4u2Y
youtu.be/cGhuYsMW4VY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

o shit my nigga Jane Eyre is exactly what u need

Jane is always younger than 24 in the novel but there's a section where her friend dies at boarding (charity) school and there's a lot of shit about the relationship between that student and one of the teachers

hack facebook acounts

Was looking for something more contemporary, but I'll definitely give it a try. I'm sure Bronte is better than Jane Austen.

hwat

austen's heroines are great
emma and lizzy in particular

Tampa - Alissa Nutting

The Flamethrowers by Rachel Kushner (narrator is slightly younger, 22 or 23, but it's really fucking good), Unless by Carol Shields, American Innovations by Rivka Galchen, any of Lorrie Moore's short story collections.

Women write fiction the way they make what they call "friends:" by affectation and overexaggeration that is ultimately hollow and leads nowhere

Thanks for your useless contribution.

really just have a nice ol deep breath and take into account that this guy must be very angry or threatened by the existence of women and the power that they hold over him today, and how hilarious that is that he expresses this with his out-of-context with his opinions wherever he can like an obsessive out-of-touch drunk

keep being a boring hissy fit manchild kek

Anita Brookner

You're forgetting that she also spends time as a governess

>t. /r9k/ intellectual

Thanks user, stealing that idea.

Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
The Children's Hour (play)

Pic related.

It's a story about a lonely kindergarten teacher whose student dies.

youtube.com/watch?v=Lcjx82D4u2Y

I lied, the teacher isn't the protagonist, but still

youtu.be/cGhuYsMW4VY

The Girl On The Train is some (good) modern shit that everyone ate up last year. Female at 35 or so dealing with shit and feelings.

It's a mystery novel, and I'd say it's not even a great one, but it's a pretty good book if you're interested in that perspective.

sorry, Virginia WHO?!

Have you read The Girls by Emma Cline? The book is mostly a flashback in her teenage years, however a good chunk of the book is in the present where she is a depressed middle aged woman.

Does it still work where I just change "password" in the script to "text" and write whatever I want

The Woman Upstairs by Claire Messud only the kid don't die he just moves away.

Veronica by Mary Gaitskill

women detected

THE NEAPOLITAN NOVELS BY FERRANTE

Fuck everything you know and what this people are advising. I work in a bookstore and this series just hit its final novel around 7 months ago and women in this age range have not stopped buying it. Women in this age range and 99% of my customers and this (besides adult coloring books and The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up) is what they buy. There will be the new big NPR book review book, but this series remains.

It was literally THE book for mother's day, the book for a mother looking for a book for her adult daughter, or vice versa.

That's it, you're done. Walk away from the screen and go read these.

>plural

I actually can't tell if you're trolling.

Why would you bother? Everything written by women boils down either to petty romantic drama, which to them intuitively feels like the center of the universe, or (at best) to tedious "realist" minutiae expressed in flowery language.

They just can't think properly. Where men see God or metaphysical or moral principles underlying things, or have some passion for ethical or political principles, women without fail see only romance and hedonism. They are instinctive materialists with no feeling for abstractness. The purpose of man's life is to understand the universe and his place in it, but the purpose of a woman's life is to make sure she gets knocked up by the best seed. In both cases, the writing reflects the primordial drive.

Reading male characters written by male authors will get you everything from Cincinnatus to Don Quixote to Raskolnikov. Reading female characters written by male characters will at least get you some kind of suppleness and interiority, because men project their own complexity onto women. But male or female characters written by women basically comes down to
>who put benis in bagenie??? omg he picked claires bagenie, sarahs gonna be sad!!

reading this now, it's garbage

nah it's pretty good. Plath has a sense of humor about her problems.

>women
>sense of humor

Take the fucking redpill already

Oh hey a predictable meme response, you sure showed me

should i feel proud or ashamed i sympathize with this user's worldview? i'm really torn apart by this

You should feel ashamed

With every post hating on women writers the spirit of Jane Austen gets stronger, until it's finally strong enough to break from its otherworldly sphere and manifest in a spectral form. And then she's going to haunt every shitposter and drive him mad with her witty banter.