What the FUCK did I just read? (spoilers)

was Tolkien depressed when he wrote this little story?

>incest
>suicide
>murdering of innocent people (not in war)
>deceiving and plotting
>tragic ending

this is easily the darkest Tolkien story
he is no stranger to dark storylines, but this was just filled with wicked people and mean spirited acts

what do you think?

At least for a while Tolkein imagined that Turin would come back during Middle Earths Ragnarok, when Morgoth breaks through the Door of Night and the final battle begins, and that little ole Turin would be the one to deliver the final death blow to Morgoth himself.

Thinking of that kind of makes it all ok.

Did you never hear of Kalevala or at least Greek tragedy?
Because this is the retelling of the first and could be seen as influenced by the second.

Tolkein was big into old Sagas and pagan tales. Don't be surprised when a work influenced by them is full of death, intrigue, and misery.

still, it's a big step from TLotR
Children of Hurin contain moments were humans and/or Elves murder eachother out of nowhere, like in A Song of Ice and Fire

You should read the whole Silmarillion. It's very stark and grim compared to the third age stories.

Read the Saga of the Volsungs

Death death death

It was a great read

Tolkien was actually a pretty bothered person personally. I've read his biography recently, and he was a man who had not 'between' when it came to feelings. Every emotion he felt he felt with great intensity. Yes, he was sometimes depressed by loss and change out of his control.
The story is based on Norse Sagas and Finnish myth, although, and draws a lot from it.

He was thinking of Norse-to-Grecian infusion of themes and he killed it. The reason he didn't focus on it is he was of very advanced age in conceiving of the main plot points and I think that its the foremost tragedy in 20th Century literature that he didn't finish it. I'm not even someone who considers his work proper literature.

Essentially Baldr

>Tolkien was actually a pretty bothered person personally.

you're a faggot

What are we talking about? The Silmarillion?

>this story
what story? the nondescript fan art story?

What do we talk about when we talk about love, by JFR

My first Tolkien was the Silmarillion, followed by The Hobbit. Basically, all races save hobbits are fucking idiots. I know the scouring of the shire happened, but that was saruman's doing and fixed by the hobbits without help

Children of Hurin

I'm pretty sure that's the art on the cover

>you're a faggot
For saying your favorite author suffered from brooding fits every now and then caused by death of his loved ones and unpleasant changes in the country?

Kill yourself, my man.

I thought it was extremely powerful, it reminded me of Greek tragedy blended with some kind of campfire fairy-tale myth, you really feel like its telling is one you'd hear in Middle Earth.

>tfw need to do book report
>pick Children of Hurin
>need to write about the moral of the story
well, fuck

>pride comes before fall
That was easy.

>Volsungs
I couldn't get through it due to how goofy it was. I just laughed the whole first 60 pages.

underrated

>(spoilers)
How the fuck do you spoil literature?