What book would you like to turn into a film, who would you hire to direct it and who would you cast...

What book would you like to turn into a film, who would you hire to direct it and who would you cast? I like to see the kinds of people others imagine when reading. Sorry for the potato quality, I had a template but lost it

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8PhiSSnaUKk
youtube.com/watch?v=0I4291XXZJw
youtube.com/watch?v=hRgq12XOhjc
youtube.com/watch?v=9BfWd-jJ_8c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why would you want a hack like Nolan to direct it?

Phenomenology of spirit directed by james franco

Crime and Punishment starring Christian Bale, directed by Wes Andersen.

terrible posts

Wes Anderson would make an absolutely fantastic Infinite Jest

>not Paul Dano

pls

A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius directed by Kevin Smith with Lindsay Lohan as Dave Eggers.

who the fuck plays queequeg then?

terrible thread desu senpai

an unknown

boo hiss.

No budget?

Director: Nicolas Winding Refn

Josef K: Emile Hirsch

Fräulein Bürstner: Natalie Portman

Fräulein Montag: Scarlett Johansson

Frau Grubach: Glenn Close or Judi Dench

Uncle Carl: Christoph Waltz

Herr Huld: Kevin Spacey

The Chief Clerk: Alec Baldwin

Leni: Rooney Mara

The President: Gary Oldman

I don't know. I have to think about the rest. I just think Winding Refn would do a good job with Kafka.

>Tom Hardy
>Not the Whale

>If I stabbed that eye, would you die?
>It would be extremely painful...
>You're a big whale!
>...For you.

>Sinking this ship...WITH NO SURVIVORS!

Nolan would CGI that bitch to no end
probably a white male.

Ever seen The Machinist?

Although I don't think it'd be good. It can't have been worse than Ron Howard's In the Heart of the Sea.

That was exactly what I had in mind!

>refn
no way

Why the fuck would you think Herzog if anybody would be an ounce capable of pulling off 100 years in style?

Tereyama is the closest cinema has come a Marquez equivalent and even then there are great magic realist directors like Ruiz and Monteiro.

Horrendous. Don't post here. Any ounce of artistic sensibility you think you may have is a lie.

Stanislaw Lem's The Invincible. Direction Denis Villeneuve. Cinematography Roger Deakins. No casting ideas for Rohan, preferably someone who isn't well known. Maybe Tom Hardy as the captain.

because he wouldn't even try to do it in style

The Castle
Short (no Twin Peaks filler shit) TV series directed by David Lynch. Maybe in black and white.

Refn does not do narrative, that's what's so good about him.

I'd like to see him pull together something based on something more open, like Revelation, though OGF may have in some ways been exactly that

>Horrendous. Don't post here. Any ounce of artistic sensibility you think you may have is a lie.
>Doesn't offer an alternative

Classic Veeky Forums. So much fun.

Gravity's Rainbow with John c Reilly as slothrop

rubbish

Lynch would fuck it up completely

Have you seen Eraserhead?

if that's the kind of vulgar surrealism you're seeing when you read Kafka your brain has turned to slop from hearing the word 'kafkaesque' one too many times

Unfortunately yes.

Lynch is brilliant though, it's just that Eraserhead is not an especially good film, which is expected from a young inexperienced director without a clear vision.

>Refn does not do narrative

What sort of retard are you? Refn is illustrated narrative fiction like the majority of film. Maybe step out of your pleb zone sometime and actually watch some experimental shorts.

He doesn't, he only does theme.

With the exception of Dovzhenko, formal "experimental" crap does nothing, goes nowhere because it never started. pure masturbation

it's not that at all. I have nothing against lynch, but his artistic vision is downright incompatible with anything kafka. lynch does not engage abstract or intellectual concepts, his films are quite conventional up to the point that he applies his own surrealist style.

lynch doing kafka would be too literal an adaptation that misses the intangible terror of his writings with added scenes of people acting weird for no reason other than lynch's hand hit a hot car on the way to the set and he felt like barnabas should be up to his neck in water or something when he meets k

This post is very accurate.

You must have a very superficial understanding of Lynch's works if you think it all boils down to "scenes of people acting weird for no reason" and lacks terror. Eraserhead is probably the one that has the absolute least of "acting weird for no reason" and it absolutely on point thematically, maybe the clearest his vision has ever been. Probably due to the personal investment in it.

But feel free to disagree. Wouldn't mind hearing about directors that would be more suitable to Kafka, just to add something to my watchlist. And by the way, did you read translations?

no, I agree with what you say about eraserhead, but that's Lynch's student film. he's not that filmmaker anymore. look at Inland Emprie. now imagine that man handling kafka. he gets his ideas from meditation and probably hasn't read a book in his life.

adapting literature requires precision, it's not the a direct equivelence to Kafka but look at Lynch's Dune, if nothing else it shows what happens when elements of story are out of his control.

This. What actors would play the master and the slave?

I actually think this is good desu senpai, especially Starbuck stubb and flask

The Stranger directed by the Coen Brothers

beat me to it

Peleg and Bildad took off before the Peqoud set sailed. So, they'll be in the movie for five minutes

Fair enough, I guess I want his student film self to make that series and I think he could manage it. Stuff like the family dinner scene is very close to what some of the more surreal elements of the Castle feel like to me.

I haven't read Dune, so I can't judge if it's a good adaptation but it's pretty at least.

Tom Hardy as Ishmael. Shutup fangaybay. He would be a shit Ishmael.

Pic related would be much better. And Djimon Hounsou for Daggo. Pleb

>the rock as Queequeg

Close, but no dice

Queequeg was a Malaysian cannibal, not a nigger.

Go back to /tv/ and rejoin your circle jerk over that no talent hack that has been shit since the wire.

yeah

>Lynch's script for Eraserhead was influenced by his reading as a film student; Franz Kafka's 1915 novella The Metamorphosis and Nikolai Gogol's 1836 short story "The Nose" were strong influences on the screenplay.[8]

I've never seen Ishmael to be a big guy, it doesn't fit his character at all

kek

I'd love for this to finally get made but I wouldn't be surprised if Kevin James starred as Ignatius or something

1984 in the style of The VVitch

Blood Meridien

Directed by Alfonso Cuaron
Cinematography by Lubezki
Vincent Donofrio as Judge Holden
Christian Bale as Glanton
Introducing [unknown] as the Kid
Paul Dano as Tobin the Expriest
Jerome Flynn as Toadvine

tobey mcguire would be the perfect fit if he hadn't already played nick in Gatsby

Wasn't it already made?

>Nolan would CGI that bitch to no end
Nolan's notorious for using practical effects when most other directors would've used CGI.

youtube.com/watch?v=8PhiSSnaUKk
youtube.com/watch?v=0I4291XXZJw
youtube.com/watch?v=hRgq12XOhjc

You can make a lot of criticisms of Nolan as a director, overuse of CGI is not one of them.

wow, and that diarrhea dump I just took was influenced by proust, the holy bible, and leo tolstoy

(this does not mean my bowel movement actually captures the artistic qualities of any)

james franco and james franco

Idris

Adding to this:
youtube.com/watch?v=9BfWd-jJ_8c
>It's a depressing day when you have to shoot green screen.

No one's made a 1984 film in a long time, I'd like to see an updated version.

Haven't put a lot of thought into the director, but maybe Alex Garland or the Wachowskis.
face of Big Brother: Colin Farrell
Winston: Shaun Evans
Julia: Alia Shawkat
O'Brien: Andy Serkis
Mr. Charrington: Christoph Waltz
Parsons: Robbie Coltrane

Dante's Inferno by innaritu.
Michael Keaton as Dante.
Edward Norton as Virgil.
Emma Stone as Beatrice.
Done in one tracking shot.

>toby mcguire as ishmael
wow that's pretty much perfect

The Man Who Wasn't There is the closest to a modern adaptation of The Stranger you're gonna get bud

>Dante's Inferno by innaritu.

Yes.

Paul Thomas Anderson

Tao Lin as Paul
Megan Boyle as Erin

James and Seth

Wow, I guess you have to admit you are wrong about him not reading though.

Michael Haneke already did it

tao and megan would be terrible actors.

this movie would be so unejoyable.

Thanks, familia, I was completely unaware. Looks good too.

>Forgets Queequeg
Fuck off
>Tfw Queequeg faded into the background

This is such a shit thread.

thats the point

PTA would get them to forget about the camera and just be themselves

just watch mumblecore then

but with the PTA visuals. and score. would be amazing

Keke I was thinking of 120 years of sodom

For the love of FUCK don't have Nolan direct Moby-Dick. He'd compress it for time and he'd add his weird cinematic symmetry to it, and it would be awful.

I actually think PTA would be a great Moby-Dick director. The final cut should be five hours long and should come with a twenty minute intermission.

I'll add that Terrence Malick would also be a fantastic Moby-Dick director. Above all else it can't be a pop director. It has to be someone that knows how to depict the passage of time, since that's a huge part of Moby-Dick.

>someone that knows how to depict the passage of time,
linklater desu

del Toro/Cuarón
JGL as Severian

Michael Mann
Johansson as Molly

Jack Kirby production designs ftw

I'm not sure about director, but Ethan Hawke would make a good Continental Op
And incidentally, why has this never been made into a film when every other Hammett was in the 30s and 40s??

Dune could be made, split in two at the point where Paul and Jessica go into the desert
This gives you enough time across two films to do the whole story
Russel Crowe as Duke Leto
Cate Blanchett as Lady Jessica
Simon Callow as Baron Harkonnan
Alexander Siddig as Stilgar

>faded into the background
You mean sinks into the ocean

Not familiar with the director but that's a good lineup. Paul Dano would be a good expriest for sure, but he could also make a good Kid.

desu

Nah, Spike Jones + Charlie Kauffman

Is he even jewish.

I volunteer to play Blazes Boylan.

I know it might conflict with the story because he's black, but I feel like Hannibal Burress is the best candidate for Ignatius.

> Christopher Nolan directing Moby Dick

Do you lack any actual sense or taste, OP? What the fuck, go watch some actual films.

> implying Werner Herzog isn't the only director who should tackle Moby Dick

You know 1970s Herzog would have the film shot on a giant whaling vessel and he would only shoot scenes with Moby Dick if there were actual sperm whales found in the water.

Refn is a hack desu

Thomas Hardy's The Withered Arm, directed by Thomas Vinterberg. Starring Tom Hardy.

Vincent Donofrio would make a perfect Judge actually. Shave his hair, eyebrows and go full method-actor and get him to shave his whole body and pubes and it'd be perfect.

Not Christian Bale though. He's not a bad actor but I don't think he'd fit in Blood Meridian.