Algebra based physics

>Algebra based physics

When will this meme die? At my university we have two introductory physics classes, one called General Physics ( Algebra based for the pre-med students and such) and one called University Physics which is actually calculus based. Why do we allow fuckery?

Other urls found in this thread:

desy.de/uni-th/lqp/psfiles/AQFT.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What the fuck? That is actually a thing?

If you are learning physics without calculus, you aren't learning physics. Plain and simple.

TRIPS OF TRUTH!

Holy shit user, that is horrible. Both Newton and Leibniz are probably spinning in their graves from this.

It's grade inflation bullshit.

Idk, this is some pretty cool shit.
desy.de/uni-th/lqp/psfiles/AQFT.pdf

top kek. My uni allowed engineers to take algebra based physics.

Suck it you autistic physics fags. I bet you're virgins too.

t. Computer engineer making $85k a year

What do they do? Learn the formulas as they are without knowing how to integrate and derivative them?

Obviously we're talking about basic algebra here, bucko. Not "real" algebra.

>one called General Physics ( Algebra based for the pre-med students and such)

Yeah, those dumbass medical students would never understand something like calculus or physics.

Actually, it's required for pre-med students at my university.

I believe they do things like constant acceleration equations and don't learn vectors and such. I don't exactly know to be honest, because I hate most pre-med biology students. They're all "Grey's Anatomy, House hurr durr people will respect me now hurr"

I don't understand why they make computer engineers take physics. It's not an engineering discipline in the traditional sense. You don't fucking need to know physics. It's bullshit.

I suppose it's for those who choose to go onto graduate school.

>don't learn vectors and such.
I don't see why not, to be honest. If they're not going to use calculus, what harm is a little trigonometry going to do?

>implying a computer engineering major is going to remember anything from their first-year electromagnetism course

I was a grader for this course
at a major Uni, and the academic
level of the students seemed about
second-year High School.

>robots
>simulators
>videogames
all need physics

>Physics for poets
Sounds like a fun class to teach :^)

God forbid you learn something fundamental about the way the world works that won't be directly used in your career.

>3+1 dimensional physics

When will this meme die? At my university we have two introductory physics classes, one called General Physics ( calculus based for the engineering students and such) and one called University Physics which is actually in 10+1D. Why do we allow fuckery?

>10+1 dimensional physics

When will this meme die? At my university we have two introductory physics classes, one called General Physics ( 10+1 dimensional for the engineering students and such) and one called University Physics which is actually N-Dimensional. Why do we allow fuckery?

my Professor liked it, but he
didn't even look at most of the
work his students turned in

>N-Dimensional physics

When will this meme die? At my university we have two introductory physics classes, one called General Physics ( N-dimensional for the engineering students and such) and one called University Physics which is actually infinite-Dimensional. Why do we allow fuckery?

hehehehehe yes excellent

>allowed for pre-med students

Big-Pharma just wants more pushers m8.

>God forbid pay you tuition money to learn something fundamental about the way the world works that you could teach yourself and which will never benefit you professionally.

>you could teach yourself
>but didn't

I should never have bought this stupid book. Why did I do that? Bcz it's "the best book on algebraic topology. You won't need much of prerequisite of algebra (this was alright), and boy, that guy surely knows what he's talking about ".

>Lack of real motivation
>Proofs are so simplified that I fucking hate them, and rather take things for granted.
>His examples are either too trivial or rather un-creative.

To be honest, i much more enjoyed in that little part of algebraic topology in Munkres book "Topology" than this shit. Are there some alternative books? Someone mentioned Rotman and Munkres's book Algebraic Topology.
Peace out

>Why do we allow fuckery

So we don't have to deal with annoying premeds in our physics classes.

>My uni allowed engineers to take algebra based physics

Your engineering program isn't ABET accredited.

>t. Computer engineer making $85k a year

Even high school kids can get jobs as software """Engineers""".

Differential Forms in Algebraic Topology by Bott and Tu

Because universities are for profit.

They can offer a high school class and make money off it because algebra is less scary than calc.

>computer engineer
>software engineer

>God forbid you don't take [random class that has nothing to do with your major]
I'm all for being generally educated, but college should be a time to focus on your specialization. I can learn about other things well enough on my own.

computer engineers need full physics

software engineers if they want to be worth a damn (program robots, simulators, etc.) should as well

I see where you're coming from, and I could never argue that that is incorrect. On the other hand, I feel differently about the early part of university. For one thing, many kids coming out of high school don't know anything. It's good to let them experience a broad range of things they've never seen before. Also, one never knows from where an insight or analogy will spring. I think this makes a case for having a sound basis in at least other technical areas. I think this is what Caltech does, but I'm not sure.

>networking engineer

heh heh got ya this time!

Ideally, high school students should be going into college already having that broad knowledge. That way they have at least some basic amount of insight before deciding which career path they want to take for the rest of their lives. Instead, high school education is usually abysmal and they have to waste time in college getting up to speed. Oh well.

Never heard about that

>visiting back home
>parents ask me what I'm working on
>they force me to be specific
>in my spaghetti i mutter something about clifford algebras
>"algebra? didn't you learn that in middle school?"

with algebra-based physics you mean based on Lie algebras and quantum groups? and algebraic methods for differential geometry?

or like, high school physics?
if you mean high school physics then fuck off you retarded fucking child

>introductory physics classes
>Algebra based
>for the pre-med students and such

Last time I checked, pre-med students don't have that much mathematical background.

Because CpE is EE dumbass. Of course you need physics