Vacuum Airship

Has mankind developed materials that will allow for vacuum airships to be feasible?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=knb6lVUY1tU
youtube.com/watch?v=ON1j2TJCoQU
youtube.com/watch?v=2k7iN9VR-rA
livescience.com/55204-huge-cache-of-ancient-helium-discovered.html
nextbigfuture.com./2016/07/unlocking-potential-for-ultra.html
youtube.com/watch?v=JO76dkzV28k
cnbc.com/2016/03/29/lockheed-has-liftoff-sells-new-airships-in-480m-deal.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What if it implodes?!

What would be the use?

What's the point?

They would use less energy than planes, would be less likely to explode (though they could implode like mentioned) than hydrogen airships, wouldn't waste helium like helium airships.

Airships without lift gas. So, same use as airships used today.

Then it implodes.

You don't know the answer to the OP then.

Making and maintaing a vacuum negates both of those points. Also, a vacuum could implode. Imagine that, for a moment. Dare I say, it's more dangerous then hydrogen.

Do you know what an implosion is?

>Dare I say, it's more dangerous then hydrogen.
I think the passengers' death would be quicker and less painful, though.

an instance of something collapsing violently inward:
"the star undergoes a violent implosion caused by gravity"

Depends on how the airship is cpnstructed. Also doesn't negate the fact that they die.

Airships are not stars.

"The airship undergoes a violent implosion caused by issues with the pressure vessel"

And?

I really don't get it. Things break. Normal airships break too.

My point is that is wrong in stating that an advantage of vacuum airships is that they don't use hydrogen, when they do use a something dangerous.

Why not launch a satellite?

>hydrogen
nobody uses fucking hydrogen
helium is expensive and we're running out

Not yet, any material strong/thick enough to maintain a vacuum makes the enclosed volume heavier than the air it displaces.

>when they do use a something dangerous.

I still don't get it. You don't use lift gas. Most airships have multiple chambers so that if one rips they will be able to safely land. I'd imagine a vacuum ship would be built in the same manner.

My point is that is wrong when claiming a degree of safety in vacuum airships

Finally, someone that isn't retarded, thank you.

>They would use less energy than planes
And also be a shit tonne slower, so why bother? Why not use a fucking plane?

I've got some bad news.

They are more dangerous than helium airships. An implosion would cause more damage than a burst envelope.

About what?

Are you an idiot?

I'm actually retarded, but at least I'm not dumb?

The worst that would happen is you hear something akin to a farting thunderclap and the airship would fall out of the sky. More likely, you'd see the ship list and come down under power with minimal injury to passengers.

Not being able to speak would be a plus for most people.

Ha!

We don't use airships for a few reasons
1. Slower than jets
2. More expensive than jets
3. Practically less useful than jets

People don't give a fuck about an airship because getting from A->B is more important than going 30 mph X000 feet up, not to mention descents would be fucking horrible

>Ask 1 question.
>get internet diarrhea posted
>1 out of 30 posts is a legit answer
>at least it hasn't devolved into /pol/shit

Taking the volume of the Hindenburg as an estimate, (200,000 meters cubed) and assuming that the vacuum-ship is located on the ground (Pressure is one atmosphere) the amount of energy released by a full implosion can be estimated at 2*10^10 joules, or approximately 5 tons of TNT.

How about instead of airships we work on a sub orbital flights or something that would make a concord like plane more practical?

Outside of military purposes, which all can be done with satellites or just a small drone ship the only thing you are left with is commercial. If you were to go to commercial how would you explain it taking a week to get from LA to NY to any paying customer when for 2-400 bucks they could get a ticket that gets you there and back in

This reminds me of the flying houses they were going to make in Russia;
youtube.com/watch?v=knb6lVUY1tU

I think Buckminister Fuller designed something like that. I saw something about a really strong material made with some sort of boron carbon allotropes but I'm not sure if even those can make a vaccum airship practical.

youtube.com/watch?v=ON1j2TJCoQU

No probably more like this, this channel reminds me of the thread

youtube.com/watch?v=2k7iN9VR-rA

FUCKING WHY

Just wait for anti-gravity engines.

The reason that star's implosion is so powerful is because gravity is suddenly and violently overwhelmed by electromagnetic interacion, and it causes a nova.

An airship is not gonna fucking go nova.

Yeah it won't go nova because because it will never be built in the first place

See
If a vacuum ship were to collapse, enough energy would be released by the atmospheric pressure overcoming the mechanical strength of its container to level a city block.

100% this.

>Has mankind developed materials that will allow for vacuum airships to be feasible?
No.

How did this post not end the thread already?

We're not running out. Surprise surprise, when you actually look for it, you can find big deposits of it.

livescience.com/55204-huge-cache-of-ancient-helium-discovered.html

>"We sampled helium gas (and nitrogen) just bubbling out of the ground in the Tanzanian East African Rift valley," Chris Ballentine, a geochemist in the Department of Earth Sciences at Oxford University, said in a statement. "By combining our understanding of helium geochemistry with seismic images of gas-trapping structures, independent experts have calculated a probable resource of 54 billion cubic feet [1.5 billion cubic meters] in just one part of the rift valley."

Airship are useful for getting to locations without any infrastructure. Which is why they are currently making a comeback. Especially for military use.

I'd bet on some sort of nano lattice doing the trick.

nextbigfuture.com./2016/07/unlocking-potential-for-ultra.html

www.nextbigfuture.com/2014/06/supermaterial-with-weight-and-density.html

90kPa @ 10.2 kg/m3

Density of air is 1.275 kg/m3 @ STP, so it needs to get about 8 times stronger, maybe ten to be conservative.

Wow it's like drones and high powered satellites don't exist!

>wrong in stating that an advantage of vacuum airships is that they don't use hydrogen, when they do use a something dangerous.
The two things have nothing to do with each other, your perceived threat has nothing to do with the fact that this doesn't need hydrogen as a fuel source

Why not build a moon base?

No. Materials to contain the vacuum are too heavy.

/thread

No. That's retarded and infinitely less useful than a plane or a drone.

Gas yourself, futurefag.

>Making and maintaing a vacuum negates both of those points
lol?

maintaining a vacuum takes no energy.

making a vacuum takes very little energy.

fuck off retard

love those ideal conditions:
no wind, no rain, no snow

>i have no idea how vacuum pumps actually work so ill just shit out of my mouth and act like that is normal

Airships could be useful in construction as you wont have to haul heavy as fuck cranes o the construction site

>people say "boooo" to airships
>same people want airship cities on Venus

Don't /thread yourself, it's gauche

For transporting heavy cargo to remote locations?
No there isn't a drone that can do it.

youtube.com/watch?v=JO76dkzV28k
cnbc.com/2016/03/29/lockheed-has-liftoff-sells-new-airships-in-480m-deal.html

>for when you need to transport bearded lumberjacks and dozer drivers to a remote wilderness location so they can destroy nature and make way for hydro fracking wells
>Lockheed Martin is there for you

kys hippie

GB2ur hugbox Marillyn Hewson

>Veeky Forums is a single person

Anyway, airships in general ≠ vacuum airships. Comparing the weight of helium to vacuum is dishonest, as they'd need to be much sturdier to withstand the pressure, and thus heavier.

There's a chance the new Magnesium based alloy stuff could do it.

>At 0 °C and normal sea level pressure a mole of gas occupies 22.4 liters, so a cubic meter of air has a mass of: 1000 / 22.4 × 0.02896 = 1.293 kg."

What material could hold back 1atm or pressure, encompassing 1 cubic meter of space, and have a mass of less than 1.293 kg? You wouldn't be able to have a complete vacuum, it'd only be an area of low pressure. If you can get it to 28inHg I'd be surprised.

The lightest and strongest material seems to be a magnesium-alloy syntactic foam that is 1 gram per cubic centimeter (density of water.) You'd be limited to less than 1293 grams of this material to make an enclosure that can withstand 28inHg.

I'm not seeing that happening any time soon.

Why is some of the coolest shit the most sci-fi related?

Vacuum Ships
Space Elevators
Overunity Machines
Long lasting electronics made after 1985

Why did you put the first two that are merely engineering challenges together with the physically impossible ones?

All of them are impossible you /x/tard.

>deliver a bunch of heavy equipment to job site out in the middle of no where
>no roads or rail to deliver supplies to it
>bound to only air travel for exporting and importing supplies

Sounds really useful...

>deliver construction equipment
>use it to build road/railway/airstrip/ship dock

Yeah. Quite useful.

Fucking retard

Imagination really only goes so far these days. You have to spoonfeed literally everyone everything.

>road way
Deliver it on road already being paved behind it.
>railway
They already do this by backing up supplies on the railway they are building
>airstrip
Pray tell why would you build an airstrip with no access roads?
>Ship dock
See airstrip reason

>Pray tell why would you build an airstrip with no access roads?
Because there are no access roads, and you need to bring supplies, peopleor equipment to a location?

>What material could hold back 1atm or pressure, encompassing 1 cubic meter of space, and have a mass of less than 1.293 kg?
Probably nothing.
Enclosing a thousand cubic meters would be much easier though - you would only need a hundred times as much structure, but you would produce a thousand times more lift.