How do I motivate myself to read more...

How do I motivate myself to read more? I enjoy reading but I can only go for about 40 pages at a time and I have a hard time getting started. I wanted to use the summer to burn through my to read list but I've yet to finish a single book.

Semen demon unrelated

Flagellation and burgers.

She a dwarf?

Eat less processed foods and sugar. Get more sunlight and fresh air. You will find your ability to concentrate on reading is improved. Your comprehension should also benefit.

When I start to lose focus I start reading outloud. I try to do it with enthusiasm... sometimes with changes in accent or pitch. It brings me back in the story.

This won't work for all types of books but I enjoy doing it.

>Tfw no children to read to

The answer to "how do I motivate myself to x" is almost universally the same. Pic related.

That aside, however, you should bear in mind some physiological quirks of motivation though. Your brain's a muscle, using takes energy (a lot of it, as it happens). Your brain can just as well get tired out from thinking hard as your arms can from lifting weights. The best time to keep your motivation going if generally soon after waking up from a good night's sleep and having a good breakfast. In the same way, 'exercise' is helpful. Push your page limit bit by bit. Can you only manage 40 before getting burned out? Push for 45 until it's your new normal.

Also. Every decision you make throughout the day, big or small, depletes your willpower a little bit. Some can be replenished by eating (stuff with plenty of glucose, preferably slow burning), but you'll almost always have less motivation at the end of the day than at the start. So if you're usually reading before bed, that might explain part of your problem.

tl;dr sleep well, eat well, the earlier in the day you do a thing the better, gradually build habits.

Is reading outside a good idea then?

pop science reader detected

I don't see how "stop eating like shit, get a good night's sleep and don't try to do things that require focus when you're tired" is a bad idea but whatever floats your boat.

Generally not a good idea. Like picnics, reading outside is overrated because of wind and bugs.

>he doesn't have his own plastic bubble

40 pages at a time really isn't bad at all for a casual reader.

I don't wanna be a casual though. My dream is to eventually be a writer. Granted I want to write genre shlock but I should still become a more hardcore reader before I pursue that career.

You're a rather insecure person, aren't you?

Like others have said, it's definitely a muscle. The more you read, the more your concentration will grow. This goes 10x for writing. Don't discount the possibility that you're just not truly interested in what you're reading. What are you reading right now ?

Second Foundation by Asimov. I'm interested in becoming a science fiction and fantasy writer.

My max is about 40 pages per day before I start getting bored or sleepy.

It might seem like a small amount, but it really adds up if you make it a habit to read 30-40 pages per day. A book every week or two is very good.

I'm a very voracious reader, but older stories like that definitely require a lot concentration to get through. What I'm getting at though, is have you considered the possibility that you just don't enjoy that style of writing? I actually don't know who the big contemporary sci-fi authors are, but when it comes to literature, I usually start with a contemporary author and work backwards through their influences.

digesting literature in large quantities is a skill just like cooking or playing a sport well. it takes practice and more practice. in concentration is an issue, try moving yourself to a "reading room" where there are no distractions. ditch the phone, tablet, laptops, etc. the reason you probably feel inadequate is because in this era of technology we have way too many distractions. I know what you want you want to be that wise old man you see in old painting surrounded by thousand page books. the truth is, reading is all they had to do for pleasure back then. you can certainly get to that point, but you have to try harder.

I've been going through the acclaimed classics in the genre mostly because I figured that's the best place to start.

This is just my opinion, but I don't think it is. Read only what specifically interests you. That'll build your "reading muscle" as well as reading the classics will. So why not attack the more challenging works with a more developed skill set? Does that make sense? If asimov genuinely interests you, read him. If you're only doing so because you feel like you should, then come back to it later.

That's what I have been doing mostly. Or at least, going off premises.