Why does Veeky Forums have such an enormous hateboner for this book ?

Why does Veeky Forums have such an enormous hateboner for this book ?

Veeky Forums has a hateboner for all books that are taught in high school

It's not just Veeky Forums; have you ever been in the real world? I've never met anyone that thinks highly of The Great Gatsby. Even as far as forced high school curriculum goes, it's far worse than The Lord of the Flies, Catcher in the Rye, Of Mice and Men, and To Kill A Mockingbird.

Yeah I've noticed people calling it shitty
What I wanna know is their arguments, since no one ever goes beyond the "it's shitty" from what I've talked with people
So I asked here
Why don't you personally like it, user ?

>marathoned
>chapter is literally like less than ten pages long.

There's not a single likeable character in the novel, and the only interesting part is the ending. I read it after The Sun Also Rises and it just felt like a poor man's version of Hemingway's work.

Just because characters aren't likable doesn't mean the book is bad.

Also Hemingway is utter shit.

>hateboner

Back to /r/outoftheloop you toxic piece of shit

>unlikable characters mean the book is bad
oh boy

>There's not a single likeable character in the novel
false flag comment

gatsby is dull and vacuous. "On purpose", its admirers say: doesn't make it any better. The prose is _not_ exceptional, the metaphors are poorly integrated and overreaching, and whenever it remembers its sensibilities it reads like a satire of what a technically competent writer would have thought good writing was supposed to attempt

that makes it average literature, in context. Excessively negative reactions, now, are in proportion to the undue attention given this book, and perhaps the frustration with seeing it dragged as a permanent testament to how desperate people were to establish an accessible american canon. It's the modern equivalent of all the mediocre latin poetry, now forgotten, which used to make up every student's learning material

>Tom Buchanon wasn't likeable

Spotted the nu-male leftist cuck.

It's one of the best novellas I've ever read.

>75 page of bourgeois out of touch first world problems

gee, I don't know

>Complains about identity politics
>Buys into class politics

because it's popular

> I've never met anyone that thinks highly of The Great Gatsby
K E K
E
K

highschooler / supermarket cashier detected

I don't mind The Great Gatsby. That being said it doesn't really have much applicable depth to it. I think more than hating the book, I have disdain for anyone who says it's their favorite book of all time or changed their life. It always came off to me as the book for 19 year old girls just getting past YA and John Green. It's not bad, it's just.. nothing much of anything.

this

OLD SPORT!

You were obviously not assigned The Grapes of Wrath

ITT: lost causes who wouldn't know a great book if it shot them in the head

Anyone else think it suffered from purple prose?

I wouldn't say that.
It's basically just a drama piece about the rich and famous. Nothing overtly complex about that.

I actually liked it, but it is what it is and and it is a book about first world problems.

fuck you
his short stories are great.

It represents something they can never have.

Specifically, having a rich playboy befriend them. It's a given that being the rich playboy is out of the question, but that just adds to their irritation.

>unlikeable characters are automatically bad

Watch out, we got a pleb over here.

On the surface, yeah it's a book about first world problems. But it's deeper than that. The symbolism is pretty rad, I have to say.

>Tom Buchanon
>Masculine
His wife literally cucks him repeatedly over the course of the book and he's described/depicted as constantly in need of approval from others. He's a little bitch and you're retarded for thinking otherwise.

Yeah, and Tom fucks other people too. It's not exactly a healthy relationship.

Yeah, if you force someone to do anything they're not going to like it. Our high school made people read Sinclair's The Jungle, which is a fantastic book and I thought it was great when I read it, but everyone was talking about how awful and depressing it was. I've heard the same thing about Dostoevsky and Hemingway when our high school class did those. People hate having to read books, and they especially hate books that aren't happy go lucky.

I read crime and punishment like a pamphlet and the great Gatsby I read like every page was 10,000.

basically

sounds like you got a shit translation of Dosto

The ending was embarrasing.

Because frankly, the majority of Veeky Forums is full of contrarian pretentious faggots. Like me

One of my uni buddies says it's his favourite novel. Although not my favourite, I do have a fondness for it also.

An unlikeable character is not a poorly written character.

The recent movie made it normie-core af. Advertising campaigns use the excess of the 1920s, specifically the image of Gatsby parties, to sell liquor and tuxedos. Rap music videos use it to give historical power to their excesses.

The recent movie was one big gin advertisement/soap opera and that's what Gatsby is in the public imagination these days. It's been defiled.

it's pretty simple. american kids on Veeky Forums shit on the classics they had to read in high school.

they don't shit on shakespeare, twain, homer or even much on steinbeck = your theory isn't simple, you are