I was just gifted one of these things. Any of you cu/ck/s have one? All I made so far was nuggets..ideas/opinions?

I was just gifted one of these things. Any of you cu/ck/s have one? All I made so far was nuggets..ideas/opinions?

seems like they take way longer than just frying them in a pot with oil

I have an T-Fal ActiFry.
Makes good nuggets and fries.

More or less anything that doesn't have a sauce on it and will fit inside can be cooked.

But I'd stick to frozen dishes that are suggested to cook in a oven.

It does take longer but it adds less oil to your food, is walk away safe for the cooking duration, is easier to clean up after.

>It does take longer but it adds less oil to your food, is walk away safe for the cooking duration, is easier to clean up after.

that makes sense i've never heard of these before so i'm interested

If you have ever cooked a frozen food in an oven it would likely be faster and crisper in one of these air cookers.

So fries come out about 90% like a deep fried fry rather than like oven fries.

Nuggets are about the same but are done in 25min and aren't stuck to the tray.

Chicken strips have a max size and tend to lose a lot of breading if they are too large but are faster and don't stick.

Wings are viable but only if they are sauce after cooking.

Hashbrowns are good but only if they are the small tiny cube size. The bigger ones made of shredded potato formed into a tot fall apart when cooked.

How does it work differently from an oven anyway? Does it blow hot air over them instead of just heating it up inside?

It blows air on them and most models have an agitator that pushes the cooking food around so it doesn't burn.

The air is at a higher temp than the suggested cooking temp but only acts directly on the food for short periods of time. Between the mixer and the air you can get a crisp cooked food without needing a deep fryer.

thin slice some onion, toss in seasoned flour, fry, and bam you got a tasty treat/steak topper

Does this only work with frozen french fries?

I like to make fries out of fresh potatoes. I either slice or wedge them and oil them up and season them and then bake in the oven. Could I do that in one of these? Seems like they'd stick together and not get done all the way.

Throw it away, buy a deep fryer, remember what flavor is.

gift is not a verb you shit

Yes it is.

When they weigh the food before and after cooking, regular fryer vs this air fryer method, they swear the food absorbs less oil.
So, for people who are really health nuts but who come from cultures that fry a ton of foods, it can help them still eat their rich cultural cuisine with less guilt.
Ex. plantains.

I'm going to suggest you just use it when you feel like frying.

I've resisted buying one of these because where I live electricity is expensive and gas is cheap

I own a rice cooker but I choose to cook my rice in a pot on the stove

Is gas expensive or not widespread in America? I'm curious. Here it is cheaper to boil water on the gas stove than it is to boil am electric kettle.

I live in the west coast of Australia if it matters. The price of gas on the east coast of Australia, where the majority of the population lives is expensive compared to here

Get rekt faggot

As for me (in texas), my apartment doesn't even have a working gas line. It became corroded years ago and has never been repaired. I've contemplated keeping a propane tank but it doesn't seem worth the hassle, and I know it may be irrational but I have a fear of highly pressurized tanks exploding while I'm near them. Thus, electricity for me.

In the US, gas infrastruces (neighborhood pipelines) are owned by local companies and price varies. Gas prices also rise in the seasons, so very expensive in winter for those that use gas to heat their home. In general, gas appliances like water heaters or clothes dryers are thought to be more efficient in their use of energy than electricity, so the variable is if a house finds their overall price of gas to be affordable, or if they are close enough to the "tap" to even get gas. Not all communities have the pipes laid especially in areas of the country without much of a winter.

In Florida where I live, we have the least expensive electricity in the nation. It doesn't much make sense to have gas not even for your swimming pool heater, which you'd only use about 2mo out of the year. You'd get a solar roof system instead. In areas near expressways, restaurants, hospitals, your neighborhood might have them, but for instance, in Miami, you'd find that you would instead have to have a huge tank outside of your house, and that you'd pay a $400 service visit to get it filled, or else some kind of $90/mo charge to keep it filled. Neither option is worthwhile or competes with electricity prices. In the heat of summer with several zone ACs running in Miami, in a 4500sq ft house, your overall electrical bill might only be $250-350, with a pool pump running 12hr day too. This is about half what northerners can pay for a similar sized house to heat it via gas. Though foodies like gas stoves, and I've had both, I don't really like the idea of gas dryers or home heating, so I wouldn't ever make it a priority on a future home to be in a neighborhood that had it, or fiddle with a tank.

Some building owner are just too cheap to have gas lines laid throughout their building and only one apartment (the one closest to the sidewalk) will have gas.

>I've resisted buying one of these because where I live electricity is expensive and gas is cheap
Even if electricity was very expensive it's still cheap.

So the wattage draw is about 1400W. So 1.4kW.

If you ran it for 1 hour it costs 1.4kW/hr of power. I pay a total of 20 cents per kW/hr. For fries it's 25min. So it uses 0.58kW/hrs. At 20 cents an hour it costs $0.116 to cook my food. If you used it for 25min for 30 days you would pay $3.48.

>I like to make fries out of fresh potatoes. I either slice or wedge them and oil them up and season them and then bake in the oven. Could I do that in one of these? Seems like they'd stick together and not get done all the way.

It should work they won't stick because their is an agitator the pushes them around.

These things make the best sweet potato fries around

Used to have one till it blew up. Pretty much just cooked frozen chips and shit in it. Glad it blew up because my wife got really lazy and only cooked our son nuggets and chips.

So it's an undersized electric convection oven. So undersized it requires an agitator to keep from burning the food.

What's the advantage over an actual, (cheaper) countertop convection oven?

>So it's an undersized electric convection oven.

Pretty much.

>What's the advantage over an actual, (cheaper) countertop convection oven?

Counter top convection ovens aren't designed for frying, coating potatoes or chicken in a bit of oil might not end well.

Personally, I'd like to find one with a rotisserie that isn't shit.

I personally have a Phillips, my mother really hated it and wanted to throw it away so i took it.

So far i think it's like a microwave 2.0, it's as if you're using an oven but quite faster and easier to clean, also less oil so no need to waste a pot of oil for one bag of fries.

Used it for many things, fries come out perfectly, along with hash browns too.

But what really surprised me when i put a chicken tortilla in it and it came out crispy with a golden brown texture, was quite amazing.

I suggest you to add a tiny bit of oil on top of the food, like a sprinkle, along with the seasonings too.

Lived with one for about 4-5 years instead of a fryer. To be honest, they're not that great. We had a Tefal Actifry, and while you could cook stuff in it it was never as good as the real thing.

>no need to waste a pot of oil for one bag of fries.
You can filter the used oil and put it back.
You don't even need some special filter, a paper towel over any kind of sieve will work just fine.

It's a gimmickey piece of shit that takes up valuable counter/cabinet space.

This. You want to fry something perfectly? Put some oil in a pot with a thermometer. Wala! Magic.