Is it true I shouldn't bother trying to read Umberto Eco if I'm not madly well-read already?

Is it true I shouldn't bother trying to read Umberto Eco if I'm not madly well-read already?

>reading Italian Dan Brown

There's just too many god damn books

>that awkward moment when you realize the only books you can read the author on are his
nah, you can read him without reading anything else, most girls do.

>forcing this weak meme

>most girls do
???

Are you saying Eco's an author for women?

Well read is enough.

No, it's quite the opposite. He is a great starting point.

most of the people i know who are big fans of his are women, yeah.

you know some patrician women then

the three biggest female fans of his i know all took classics, two went to uni on manuscript handling he's not that patrician, but he's better than some of the things which seem to attract mostly female fans.

did you fug?

they're all straight

Tits or GTFO

Show tits or get the fuck off my board

b-but i-i'm not even p-published.

If you're going for Foucault's Pendulum, be prepared for the first hundred or so pages to be wildly impenetrable. Eco said he did this to weed out the plebs.

This post confirms why women should not be allowed on Veeky Forums (or be allowed to read/write desu)

is that one bird screwing the other bird or what
or talk to me irl

What are /b/tards doing on Veeky Forums? Are the migrations from /pol/, /mu/, /tv/, and /v/ not enough?

>he thinks Veeky Forums isn't on Veeky Forums
>he thinks birds aren't important
>doesn't even bother with pretending he read eco
you shouldn't be allowed on adult websites, it's cruel to ask this much of you

they're not /b/tards, they're noobs who would think this is /r/ if they knew what /r/ was and are trying to fit in

they are epic references summerbro (this means ur new here) and if you had known about the meme classics you would have upvoted those posts for sure

is there a word for something you know is an ironic joke but still makes you want to claw your eyes out reading it?

I call it good shitposting

>says the retard who never saw the BAVI wars
>even calls other people summer
jej

Let's get back to Eco: is his anthro shit any good or is it just Shakespeare in the Bush again?

>Eco thread
>not discussion semiotics

>says the retard who never saw the BAVI wars
can't find this on knowyourmeme

thats name of the rose idiot

>can't find this on knowyourmeme
jfc leave

i've read him saying that too, but still don't get it. how was the first 100 pages of notr difficult? the only boring thing was the abbe vallet and some other guy "found manuscript" nonsense, the actual story didn't seem any more difficult at the beginning compared to the rest

Never read his anthropology shit, though I do have a book here.

His other aesthetics / semiotics stuff is very good, though. I specially recommend Apocalypse Postponed and Open Work.

Mate, better let that ship sail, people simply don't care
Also, Foucaul'ts Pendulum is a very good book, ignore Veeky Forums plebs memeing him as Dan Brown, this nigga was one of the most well read people on the planet and it shows

>most well read people on the planet

I don't doubt it. I've seen claims of 40,000 books read and have to wonder, though, how the fuck did he manage it? Was he skimming most of it? Was he some kind of rainman type savant?

Well, his profession involved a lot of reading.

Now, must of us have other shit to do, but if you sit down and read for 4 or 6 hours straight, you can tackle a book a day, specially considering how a lot of older books (his main field of study, at least early on, was the middle ages) were rather small (on the wordcount, of course).

how to travel with a salmon was pretty funny. i don't know how relevant it is now. based off of that i got TNoTR. (mainly because i wanted to feel smart while understanding what i was reading)

>TNoTR
what

Die name der rozenblom

I studied a lot of Medieval philosophy once upon a time.

Picked up The Name of the Rose, it was a comfy read with all that Scholastic philosophy getting thrown around.

Having attempted to tackle Foucault's Pendulum, I would say yes.
Also, does anyone else remember that episode of Millennium where the way they showed this kid was a prodigy was that he read DeLillo and Eco? DeLillo I can handle, but Eco was a bit much.

I feel like reading TNOTR.
I fucking loved the movie, it's so genious and comfy to watch. I feel like one of two things (or both) will happen:

>I won't like the book
>I won't understand it

Is it a bit like Dan Brown or is that just a meme?

Sort of.

Eco's actually mocking people like your typical Dan Brown conspirator fan thorough the book. Actually, the discussion about the index of secret societies is one of the funniest things I've ever read.