Is rap technically the most Veeky Forums musical genre?

Is rap technically the most Veeky Forums musical genre?

Nothing else in music has such a focus on the effective use of language.

Other urls found in this thread:

sys.Veeky
allmusic.com/subgenre/singer-songwriter-ma0000002855
genius.com/Mf-doom-my-favorite-ladies-lyrics
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

music is its own language you fucking retard

no and stop making this fucking thread

sys.Veeky Forums.org/lit/imgboard.php?mode=report&no=8250204

Rap is focused on "muh beats" and "muh bass" and the only literary merit that it has (rarely, at that) is that some of the lyrics sometimes approach cleverness.
The most Veeky Forums genre is the umbrella genre of classical due to the high number of literary works set to classical music.

You're either being purposely obtuse or do not realise the context of discussion. Perhaps both.

Yes I make every thread you don't like, watch out

>There is this guy Eminem. He has created a sense of what is possible. He has sent a voltage around his generation. He has done this not just through his subversive attitude but also his verbal energy. (Seamus Heaney)

Won't you lend your lungs to me?
Mine are collapsing
Plant my feet and bitterly
Breathe up the time that's passing.
Breath I'll take and breath I'll give
Pray the day's not poison
Stand among the ones that live
In lonely indecision.

Fingers walk the darkness down
Mind is on the midnight
Gather up the gold you've found
You fool, it's only moonlight.
And if you stop to take it home
Your hands will turn to butter
Better leave this dream alone
Try to find another.

Salvation sat and crossed herself
And called the devil partner
Wisdom burned upon a shelf
Who'll kill the raging cancer
Seal the river at its mouth
Take the water prisoner
Fill the sky with screams and cries
Bathe in fiery answers

Jesus was an only son
And love his only concept
But strangers cry in foreign tongues
And dirty up the doorstep
And I for one, and you for two
Ain't got the time for outside
Keep your injured looks to you
We'll tell the world that we tried

See, the first thought is that classical = literary music but I think it's more of an association with the time period or image. If we remove the associated literature than classical music has no individual literary merit.

Rap, on the other hand, stands on its own rather than being 'set' to something.

What is singer-songwriter

Not a musical genre

>Rap is focused on "muh beats"
>and the only literary merit that it has (rarely, at that) is that some of the lyrics
not read much poetry then?
currently. bardic traditions are probably the most Veeky Forums overall

allmusic.com/subgenre/singer-songwriter-ma0000002855
>Although many vocalists sang their own songs, including early rock & rollers like Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly, the term Singer/Songwriter refers to the legions of performers that followed Bob Dylan in the late 60s and early 70s. Most of the original singer/songwriters performed alone with an acoustic guitar or a piano but some had small groups for backing. Their lyrics were personal, although they were often veiled by layers of metaphors and obscure imagery. Singer/songwriters drew primarily from folk and country, although certain writers like Randy Newman and Carole King incorporated the songcraft of Tin Pan Alley pop. The main concern for any singer/songwriter was the song itself, not necessarily the performance. However, most singer/songwriter records have a similar sound, which is usually spare, direct, and reflective, which places the emphasis on the song itself. James Taylor, Jackson Browne, and Joni Mitchell were the quintessential singer/songwriters of the '70s, and most of the songwriters that followed them based themselves on their styles, or Dylan's. Singer/songwriters were at the height of their popularity in the early '70s, and although they faded away from the pop chart, they never disappeared. In the late '70s, artists like Rickie Lee Jones and Joan Armatrading that were heavily influenced by the sound of the original singer/songwriters crossed over into the pop charts, as did Suzanne Vega and Tracy Chapman in the late '80s. This resurgence of the style in the late 80's led to a new popularity and exposure for a new crop of contemporary singer/songwriters.

If you're going to be pedantic than rap isn't a music genre either, hip-hop is. Rap is a vocal style that's employed primarily in hip-hop, the same way scatting is a vocal style that's primarily employed in jazz yet can be heard in many other genres of music.

So a specific style of pop/country music

>genius.com/Mf-doom-my-favorite-ladies-lyrics

Here's an underappreciated song by even most rap fans. Personifies all his favorite vices as women, clever idea with some clever wordplay, baby.

>So a specific style of pop/country music
>So a specific style of music
So, in other words, a music genre.

And since you seem to be ignorant to this style of music, it has firm bases in blues, folk and rock.

>You're either being purposely obtuse or do not realise the context of discussion. Perhaps both.
no
read adorno you fuck

Why would I listen to music for literary merit when I have centuries of books to read? Why would I ignore centuries of music good at being music for someone's notebook scribbles?

Classical can also function like BGM which is even more lit in the sense that it stays the fuck out of the way when you're trying to read something.

Because not many authors have to live in a neighborhood full of crackheads, drug dealers, and gangbangers. It's just a different perspective on life, Mr. Fancypants.

I think you chose the most terrible community to discuss rap as a literary subject.
Rap is poetry, if it is done right. Otherwise it can be just another facet of pop culture.
The combination of a beat and spoken word timed to it can be fascinating.

Because the canon's all there is, right? There are plenty of books focusing on the subjects prominent in rap (and singer-songwriter, to show I'm being as unbiased as I can be in this discussion), you seem to be ignorant, willingly or unwillingly, to these works.

I didn't mean to be derisive of it, I was just giving my understanding of your description (which you have helpfully expanded upon)

Listen to better rap.

I don't mean to be condescending when I say this but if you only have a vague knowledge of something as well-known as singer-songwriter you might not be the most well-rounded person to be making this argument. It's a fairly popular genre of music, especially on the internet and with acts like Dylan, Cash, Springsteen, etc, it's also fairly popular in real life.

If it means anything for my money if I had to pick a genre that fits the description of what you're talking about, singer-songwriter and hip-hop would be tied.

Because some music has great literary merit? Even if you are only interested in classics ignoring the value of hymns is a massive oversight.

when you consider the rap game as a whole eminem is pretty gay