After finishing Moby-Dick I became a full-blown prosefag. I'm still a pretty new reader, but what should I read next?

After finishing Moby-Dick I became a full-blown prosefag. I'm still a pretty new reader, but what should I read next?

jesus christ what a woman. name for this sperm worm?

Nothing else will come close to Moby-Dick.

The Border Trilogy, if you love prose
>and tortillas

She was posted before and some1 found her insta. Wasn't as good as that pic.

I know, but I want better prose than Slaughterhouse 5, which was next and finished today
Thirsty-ass mf

Ulysses
Lolita

Lolita probably has the best prose I've ever read.

Karina Padilla, aka bebeu4ev on Instagram.

One Hundred Years of Solitude

Prose isn't the best aspect of the novel, but every so often Marquez will blow your mind

post her feet, brah

Mason & Dixon

Once you get the hang of all the funky capitalization and accents, it's a goddamn masterpiece. Just read this:

This Christmastide of 1786, with the War settl'd and the Nation bickering itself into Fragments, wounds bodily and ghostly, great and small, go aching on, not ev'ry one commemorated,-- nor, too often, even recounted. Snow lies upon all Philadelphia, from River to River, whose furthest shores have so vanish'd behind curtains of ice-fog that the City today might be an Isle upon an Ocean. Ponds and Creeks are frozen over, and the Trees a-glare to the last slightest Twig,-- Nerve-Lines of concentrated Light. Hammers and Saws have fallen still, bricks lie in snow-cover'd Heaps, City-Sparrows, in speckl'd Outbursts, hop in and out of what Shelter there may be,-- the nightward Sky, Clouds blown to Chalk-smears, stretches above the Northern Liberties, Spring Garden, and Germantown, its early moon pale as the Snow-Drifts,-- smoke ascends from Chimney-Pots, Sledging-Parties adjourn indoors, Taverns bustle,-- freshly infus'd Coffee flows ev'ryplace, born about thro' Rooms front and back, whilst Madeira, which has ever fuel'd Association in these Parts, is deploy'd nowadays like an ancient Elixer upon the seething Pot of Politics,-- for the Times are as impossible to calculate, this Advent, as the Distance to a Star.

I really loved Mrs. Dalloway's prose.

prose before hoes, bro XD

Barry Hannah ( later collections ) and Leonard Michaels are both pretty innovative stylists.

Mason & Dixon is probably the comfiest book I've ever read.

>prose before hoes
TRU THANG

>prosefag
What? Is there anything else to reading other than prose and structure?

get some sleep, my bro...and then i'll get some hoes to prioritize behind you

I want to get all up in that under-bite.

>this woman

This. Except maybe Shakespeare, who is the obvious fucking answer.

Second most obvious answer is Melville's other books. The Confidence Man is sublime. His short stories are also tremendous: the Encantadas (especially if you're just after Melvillean prose), The Piazza, Benito Cereno. Billy Budd isn't without its charms, but not totally finished.

Ulysses (shocker), Dickens (Bleak House especially, but Great Expectations is probably Dickens at his finest); old Swift can turn a phrase now and then. Thackeray isn't terrible either. Pynchon is probably the best answer you'll get among the moderns, but stay away from his b-sides like Inherent Vice (if you're strictly after prose that is)

Also, prose-hound is a much better word than prosefag. Especially for a prose-hound.

And Faulkner, though I'm too under-read here to recommend anything specific. I dug As I Lay Dying and some of his short stories though (Dry September especially)

You've already read the best prose. Move up to poetry.

Not bad advice. May I recommend starting again with Melville?

Of course.

Thomas Browne

BLESSED BY EVOLUTION

For prose, I've got three recs:

Absalom, Absalom by mr. corncobby
The Waves by Virginia Woolf
The Death of Virgil by Hermann Broch

what do you guys think of these?

I'd go for some other Faulkner first. I think optimum order is AiLD, SatF, A,A!, although I haven't read A Light In August which is also often cited as one of his best.

i looked up that name and nothing came up. come on man i wanna wank

How about themes, meaning, relatable characters...

how are those all not derivative of prose? You sound pretty arrogant for someone who's so obviously a pleb

Its all one and the same

If your characters and themes are going nowhere then neither is your prose, you're just wanking without purpose.

Absalom, Absalom! Isn't the type of book you start anything with.

if you like prose like that - check out 'vanity fair' or 'the leopard'

Veeky Forums seems to pretend he's not good at the moment, but Cormac McCarthy.

Mason & Dixon

because he isn't

U N D E R B I T E

N

D

E

R

B

I

T

E