What's the point of "Young adult" literature? When I was a kid I went from kid's books to just reading "Grown up" books...

What's the point of "Young adult" literature? When I was a kid I went from kid's books to just reading "Grown up" books. Mostly in science fiction or fantasy. I never really set foot into "Young adult"

What's your experience with it? It just strikes me as weird. Like, the authors don't want to write kid's books but they're also not good enough to write "adult books" either. Somehow that's worse to me than just writing kid's books

It's for normie manchildren who want to feel sophisticated for being "readers" but don't actually like reading.

I thought it was books written by teenagers for teenagers

It's for big dum dums

Uh I think you mean "Dump dumps"

it's for women and leftists

>manchildren
heh, funny how it's mostly girls that read it/
Guys that read it stand out though and are easily spotted thanks to their potato faces.

>men
>reading

pick one

Infantilisation of culture and thence society.

>YA
>"reading"

>implying I implied that

cuck

>implying I was implying that you implied a thing that you are now inferring to me
Cuck

What are soon good books for free on amazon Kindle?

Some*

Please, define more exactly what you mean by "young adult" books, or even better, give me an example. Though, I have a feeling I know what type of books you mean. If it is something like "The Catcher in the Rye", I personally didn't like it, and I don't like that type of books in general. I sincerely don't care about some guy telling us his narrative of how he attempts to get a girlfriend, drinks coffee or whatever, walks and rambles incoherently about basic bullshit like how much he hates people wearing certain type of wear and similar.

In general, I personally disliked it because I am not fascinated by "young adult lifestyle", and I am not fascinated by any story that depicts it or glorifies it or anything. It bored me to death.

Edit:
also, why does every book of this sort constantly propagate the retarded meme of a wandering obnoxious bitter slacker? is this supposed to be the typical teen? it is idiotic and a meme that needs to end.

It takes a lot of skill to write a good children's book. You have to take into account the age of your readers, limiting a lot of what you can do and how you can present it. And you've still gotta write something good, and (because these are children) also engaging on a basic level.

YA doesn't require that. YA is basically for the laziest of the lazy; it's genre fiction, without the standards that some (idiots) might expect for adults, and without the necessities that come from writing for children.
I've mostly only seen right-wingers reading YA, because of the whole "if I'm reading then I'm an intellectual, no matter what it is that I'm reading". Leftists, being generally more involved in literature/liberal arts &c., are more likely to at least read literature (even if it's shit).

>Implying you never read one of these page turners in high school.

Not OP, but I did, but I didn't think they were that good. I just read them to spend time (because I had a lot of it). I did read actual adults' literature as well, like OP says, so the transition isn't exactly unlikely.

On the other hand, fucking Eragon was my favourite book for a while (alongside other, genuinely good books).

its a market niche. its an industry that creates profit for publishers and employs writers.

I actually preferred the WWII series Muchamore started 2/3 into the Cherub series. They were pretty badass tbqh senpai.

YA was finished as a concept after pic related

>When I was a kid I went from kid's books to just reading "Grown up" books. Mostly in science fiction or fantasy. I never really set foot into "Young adult"

Uh.. yeah you did.

>Somehow that's worse to me than just writing kid's books
There's nothing wrong with writing children's books.

Teenagers experience live differently from children and adults and have their specific thought and struggles. So there is nothing wrong with addressing these topics for a teenage audience which would be the bridge between children's and adult literature. However "young adult" doesn't seem to be much about that. The name suggests that it's for people who are already technically adults but mentally infantile.

Interestingly, of all the people I know, a right-wing woman is the most avid YA reader.

They used to just be called children's books, "YA" is just a marketing ploy. They are childrens' books

I never did, actually. I was the kid who got into reading by reading books that had film adaptations. I read A Clockwork Orange and 2001: A Space Odyssey in school because I was a Kubrick nerd.

>A Clockwork Orange.

Sure you did.

This is me. Reading Tin Drum now because I want to watch the film. Great book.

Manchildren doesn't have to specifically refer to men. The more inclusive term is "kidult" or some shit but that just sounds retarded.

I genuinely did. It took me a while due to its peculiar use of language, despite the length of the novel, but I read it at a young age because I was obsessed with the movie.

>Manchildren doesn't have to specifically refer to men
when has anyone besides you EVER used the term 'manchildren' in reference to women

Who cares? I'm doing it.

>reading "Grown up" books. Mostly in science fiction or fantasy

That's what male young adult is stupid cuck, 10/10 I don't even know whats bait anymore

any
libgen.io
(kindles use .mobi)

read exactly none of those
I did read the patrician YA lit:

The Pendragon Series
The Harry Potter Series
The Alex Rider Series
The Forgotten Realms Series
The Abhorsen Trilogy
The Seventh Tower
The Keys of the Kingdom
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants Series
The Twilight Series

Uh, no. Never heard of any of them

The point is to sell shitloads of books by making shit that appeals to a target audience. YA is short for "this has stuff you might not want your little kids reading but your teenager might enjoy--just don't read it yourself, please, parents."
Like "adult" and "children's" books, most of it is disposable shit. Like "adult" and "children's" books, there are occasional well-crafted and imaginative stories, and every once in a blue moon, a great classic.

>I never really set foot into "Young adult"
>science fiction or fantasy.
>When I was a kid I went from kid's books to just reading "Grown up" books.
>science fiction or fantasy.

I know you're joking, but...

Personally, I read it starting at like 10, then read it less and less up until about 17, when I pretty much exclusively read adult books. I still read it occasionally, if a series is really break out huge for whatever reason though, I like to know what all the hype is about. Some are enjoyable, some aren't.

To make money off retards.

I read often when I go to my cabin on my property. Whilst there I have to chop wood, harvest, make fires, hunt (sometimes), etc. Mostly manly activities.

It is a sad man that doesn't broaden his mind and enjoy literature, history, or some biographies. It's also kind of fun to read by candlelight.

I went from children's books to King/Crichton/Rollins/etc. and then to real literature. I think the YA crazy started around the time I'd have been in the target demographic. I remember people reading and anxiously waiting for the next Twilight book in high school.

>right-wing woman
By right-wing do you mean American "right-wing" pseudo-christian heretic who accepts gays and "people" of color or do you mean /pol/ right-wing who wants to see all non-whites burnt to ashes?

Cucks
Bloom was right.

>yfw im not joking

what is it w YA and ppl feeling obligated/connected to it years later just because its YA? I genuinely disdain YA lit, but I ask this question very sincerely.

I read a ton of Stephen King at ages 10-14 or 15, but nothing would make me pick up something of his again. I loved hair metal for years, but I can't imagine caring if I heard hair metal had a new next big thing.

And it seems like the only thing YA has that makes it YA is the quality of being a book but worse. Is it a morbid curiosity? Like draining the pus out of a toe you stubbed years after you last bit it to the point of infection, just to see how bad it smells? Or do you like listening to medicore adult's mediocre thoughts?

I only ask because it's something I never encountered until I came here, and now I feel like I see people say it more and more frequently.

I think Muchamore's one of the better YA writers honestly. His books are hardly deep, but he's a competent writer, and appeals really well to his audience without compromising the story he's trying to tell, which a lot struggle with.

>what is it w YA and ppl feeling obligated/connected to it years later just because its YA? I genuinely disdain YA lit, but I ask this question very sincerely.

I honestly don't feel this way, I just enjoy reading, and if I hear people raving about a book I think "Well maybe there's a reason they're raving". They aren't exactly lengthy reads, so it's no big investment or anything, and sometimes they're good fun, so why not read them I figure?

YA is simply books that appeal to a young adult audience, too. The themes are too adult for children, but not mature enough to be fully adult texts. They're also not literary fiction obviously.

wow thanks! i was using bookzz + torrents but this seems better

>They're also not literary fiction obviously.
Then why read them?

Why read Veeky Forums shitposts or anything else?

but all the rape books in fantasy aren't young adult, they're genre fiction for adults

>The Seventh Tower

finally someone else who read this, it's my favorite Garth Nix series

>Twilight series
>patrician YA lit

you blew it

Shitposts aren't pretentious, are amusing, and don't waste much time.
Manchild

YA is Grown Up books

It is books for the now universally literate serf and petty bourgeoisie class.

I think the primary function of YA novels is that the protag is almost always the age of the audience the book is aimed at. Harry Potter, Alex Rider, Artemis Fowl, which allows kids to relate better. That said, those three series are about the only YA fiction I ever read, and I tended to prefer Fantasy and adult Action Adventure novels like Clive Cussler. By the time I left primary school (13) however, I was reading stuff like P G Wodehouse, J G Farrell and Chuck Palahniuk.

YA fiction is hardly pretentious either, I don't think you know what that word means though. People here act pretentious all the time, see

They're for young adults moron lol.

Before they were really a genre they'd just fall under childrens books. Not they're two things.

I read a lot of young adult fiction when I was a teenager. Now I'm stupid

>The Harry Potter Series
>The Twilight Series
>Patrician
Had a little bit of a giggle.

capitalism is about tapping into ALL markets, Anonymous.

>implying that 100-year old modernistic experiments about flatulence is mature