ITT: recommend good but recently published books

ITT: recommend good but recently published books.

Other urls found in this thread:

newrepublic.com/article/122228/its-time-writing-took-something-back-internet
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Adam Johnson's The Orphan Master's Son

I thought it was good, maybe I'm a shitlicker, but I liked it.

My Struggle, Brief History of Seven Killings and... uh...

I think the Ferrante books were a hell of a lot more interesting than the Knausgård ones.

You forgot to say that the pic isn't related, OP.

The guy on the cover looks just like Jim Carrey, wouldn't you say?

Sellout by Paul Beatty is really good. A little life is a trash and sentimental schloop

i have a few people around me i respect and read this book, they all told me not to waste my time, that it doesn't do anything more interesting than inflict pain
why'd you like it, OP?

New printing of Moby Dick every few years. And Dickens not long ago celebrated his 200th, so many new printings of that...

How is this? Much as I appreciate you're respecting Veeky Forums as an image board, you care to put words to your image?

Not great but good and very entertaining. There doesn't seem to be too much going on under the surface other than "Cold War ain't end in poor countries, damn white man doing illegal things, oh and Jamaicans are shitty people, too"

I like inflicting pain on myself.

Looks more like Roddy McDowell to me.

>the Corrections
The fuck, that was in 2001.

They were right, although I must say that it definitely went all out creating muh feels, and succeeded admirably. Still, not a very good book insofar as prose, plot, literary exploration of the human condition, or as far as developing characters. It is pulp, but unique pulp. It obviously got the accolades from the liberal press because it wants to be the Great Gay American Novel, but NYRB gave a more nuanced review.

I think that, Harper Lee, and Coates are trolls.

OP here, I thought the dialogue was shit.

I agree. The only redeeming aspect was how far the author was willing to twist the knife in Jude's gut to get a reaction out of the probably middle class female reader going so far as to develop Willem just to die a horrible death and push Jude over the edge. Gotta admire her willingness to maul her creation for 600 pages.

Finishing these. Really amazing great books that belong as a hallmark in the "new sincerity" meme.

Yes! They're great, luckily some of the more recent editions have covers that look less like chicklit bargain bin

>tfw when the narrator writes with obvious disgust at the ideology driven narcissist that she became, and chronicles in depth her failures as an educated person, her hypocrisy regarding feminism, and her failures as a mother and human being

The Three-Body Problem was extremely mediocre, The Cartel was fun, Submission was overhyped, My Brilliant Friend was amazing and well-deserves the hype, H is for Hawk was meh, haven't gotten far into Book of Numbers, not sure if it's boring, or too pretentious, or I'm too dumb (likely the last)

Some other good recent-ish books, fiction and non-fiction:

- At The Existentialist Cafe (personal-ish non-fiction about the major points of the existentialists)
- The Invention of Nature (a biography of Humboldt)
- The Book Of Strange New Things (sad that Faber stopped writing)

>haven't gotten far into Book of Numbers
I sorta think the author was pushing that book here. I have never heard of it anywhere else.

Likely!
He's trying to present himself as the first author who "gets" the internet, so him pushing his stuff on Veeky Forums would make sense. but what I've read of him doesn't convince me that he grew up on the internet.

This interview made me painfully aware of that: newrepublic.com/article/122228/its-time-writing-took-something-back-internet

>hurrdurr let's use gogle chat and discuss how we're using google chat like that matters

>2013