"Hey Professor, can you explain something you mentioned previously in class? I didn't quite understand."

>"Hey Professor, can you explain something you mentioned previously in class? I didn't quite understand."
>What the fuck faggot, you are not supposed to be seeking teachers for help. In fact you are not supposed to be in the position of seeking teacher for help, ever, unless it is in a fucking lab or on a machine. Either read extended literary works that expound and build upon the shit you were given in classes, or become a helper at a workplace related to your fucking studies to see how shit works and how that shit is applied. I'm not here after class to spoonfeed you beyond the basic necessity because then your brain would never develop independent critical thinking skills. This isn't fucking highschool.

He's right, you know.

Incorrect.

>"HIghschool teachers said I could get proper explanations in college. They were even less likely to solve my questions, so what do you mean by this isn't highschool? I am asking you a simple question specifically related to the subject that you teach. If you say you don't know, then why are you a teacher? And if you say my teachers were wrong, then I was right to mistreat them, and I would be right to not consider what you say because I am going deep for a PhD. Do you think I am satisfied with you? Then how are you unsatisfied with my simple question? And how is any student who thinks critically satisfied with your shameless sophistry? I don't want you to suffer any formal punishment if you are simply able and willing to answer my question now. Do you think I am here for free? Do you really think I am happy?"

/this
>pic related

>some old fuck writes a script based on a book
>holds regular meetings where he just writes the script on a black board and then goes home
>students attend these meetings just to read and copy the content of the black boards to their notebooks
>they could just buy the book for 40 bucks or photocopy the script for free
>they pay thousands of dollars for this and get themselves in debt over it

Aren't universities great?

well to be fair, the point of college is that the old fucks will make sure you understand the content and that you will be given a certification (your degree) that you understand the content

furthermore, if the only thing you are doing in college is going to class, and you're not taking advantage of the opportunities universities provide (jobs and research), then you deserve the student debt due to your retardedness and laziness

You aren't wrong about it being too damn expensive, though

Lectures are a retarded idea. Forcing everyone who wants to do a PhD to teach students is a retarded idea. Fortunately, as mentioned, that's not everyone that there is to an university. I'd add also lab classes, and opportunity to work with expensive equipment in general.

*everything dammit

If you're asking about assignment or schedule details then fine.

If you can't figure something out and don't want to learn why you can't learn, you shouldn't go to the proff.

Anyone can understand a proof or analytical technique if the motivation and process are explained. What you should be doing is figuring out why a solution was developed the way it was.

Tldr: socratic method of learning is shit and you shouldn't rely on it.

>the point of college is that the old fucks will make sure you understand the content and that you will be given a certification (your degree) that you understand the content
No it isn't. That's not the point of colleges at all.

It started as people coming together with a shared interest in a field of study. Those with equal knowledge converse, dispute, and challenge each other. Those with more advanced knowledge instruct those with less advanced knowledge, and are pushed up from below by the questions and challenges of their students, which find the flaws in their understanding.

The point of college is to develop, sustain, improve, and disseminate the most polished understanding of subjects.

Using college degrees as certification for job qualifications for the general population is absurd. Expecting this type of student to attend for years, under the pretense that they're being trained, yet largely have to self-educate is shameful.

Certification needs to be separated from training to be honest, effective, and efficient. The students who are only interested in being trained to get necessary certifications for employment should not be studying at colleges, but at tradeschools.

The trouble is that governments started using college degrees as qualifications, and not only as helpful indications of ability, but as absolute prerequisites, which pushed everybody who wanted a decent job into the colleges and, in order to prevent people starting "fake" colleges to hand out these certifications, resulted in centralized standardization and monitoring of colleges.

The system is now a farce, corrupted beyond repair.

wtf i hate professors now

>It started as people coming together with a shared interest in a field of study. Those with equal knowledge converse, dispute, and challenge each other. Those with more advanced knowledge instruct those with less advanced knowledge, and are pushed up from below by the questions and challenges of their students, which find the flaws in their understanding.
>Using college degrees as certification for job qualifications for the general population is absurd. Expecting this type of student to attend for years, under the pretense that they're being trained, yet largely have to self-educate is shameful.
Thanks user, your post helped me understand what exactly is wrong with today's higher education.

Lectures are typically there to supplement the textbooks. I don't see anything wrong with asking them for help, it's literally what they're there for. At best one could argue that they should speak to their TAs or visit the prof/TA during office hours.

Otherwise there is no point in paying for the course. You may as well study through the material on your own.

>Using college degrees as certification for job qualifications for the general population is absurd
It's also why it's so goddamn expensive and so many college students aren't interested in learning new things. This is one of my biggest pet peeves.

>it's literally what they're there for.
>Otherwise there is no point in paying for the course. You may as well study through the material on your own.
That's naive.

Most of the students in college are to get a degree for increased status and income, and most of the rest are there to break into academia, which also requires getting a degree, at absolute minimum.

Nobody goes to college anymore just to learn. There's no proliferation of unaccredited colleges that compete on quality of instruction. Education on the free market is organized *very* differently from the college system.

One more thing...
>Lectures are typically there to supplement the textbooks.
I was told by more than one professor, "Oh, don't read the textbook. It's just so I can assign problems in it."

The textbook industry, and method of selection, is FUCKED. Most textbooks now are a 50th-generation echo of some original good work, with all the readability stripped out and irrelevant clutter added in to replace it (and to justify requirements that another year of students buy the new textbook and not use the hand-me-downs of last year's students).

The professor writes out what serves as a textbook on the blackboard and you copy it down to study from when you do your assignments and prepare for exams, instead of having either a real textbook or a proper lecture.

It's all a part of going through the motions of an education, without the colleges having to turn away paying customers or real, research-oriented professors having to interact with the unwashed masses.

To be fair, in my experience most professors are openly aware of the textbook industry scam and accommodate accordingly.

Shame you can't just tell the students to use libgen.

>Certification needs to be separated from training to be honest, effective, and efficient. The students who are only interested in being trained to get necessary certifications for employment should not be studying at colleges, but at tradeschools.

I cant remember the last time I actually asked a teacher a question (aside from a rhetorical one used to point out a flaw in their working), even in highschool

ITT: brainlets need handholding instead of slogging through questions by themselves to cement their understanding

I don't know where you're studying, but that's not my experience at all. I've talked to many of my lecturers before, and so long as you didn't obviously sleep through the lectures they've been happy to talk about the subject.