If you walked off a really long wooden plank or something that was placed on the ground, could you walk into space?

If you walked off a really long wooden plank or something that was placed on the ground, could you walk into space?

Yes but your plank would have to be impossibly strong to stay rigid

considering the fact that world is flat, No.

Kerbal Space Programm simulates that with their airfields. When starting planes on the end of the runway they start rolling forwards because the airfield is perfectly flat and quite big relative to the planet. Its ends are higher up than the middle part.

If it was longer, and perfectly flat, you could drive into space.

>you could drive into space
What about gravity?

Yeah you need a force > gm to launch into space

Meaning a force greater than the gravitational force.

Wooden would break.

People would die at that height.

If you didn't die for whatever reason, at certain point the gravity pull would not be uniform. It would be harder and harder to walk it, as it basically becomes as hard as walking on a wall.

Wouldn't gravity Tear it apart no matter how powerful it is? Even if the matter is stronger and denser than the earth, this would cause massive tidal waves in the plates and cause the earth to break apart violently. It isn't as simple as plasing a stick on a wooden ball in your hand, this is the Earth that weighs 5,972,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons we're talking about.

What if I had Velcro shoes?

your legs would snap

What if my bones were made of stronger stuff, say titanium?

it's no different than climbing a real huge mountain

hmmm??

it would be possible but further out the plank would get steeper so it would be exactly like just climbing your way up

>impossibly strong
Not impossible. You can fashion a member with high enough section modulus, cross-sectional area, and rigidity to get the job done. It would just be enormous.

The question becomes, however, why you wouldn't just build a tower. It's a shorter distance radially than tangentially.

yes it's possible with two counterweights outside the earth's orbit

The real answer is a build up of
Photons in fiberoptic cable and centrifugal force ,

im not sure how far space is from sea level but this would need to be taken into account because the angle of gravity as you walk outwards may have ypu slide backwards.

This.
Let's assume the plank is as long as the earth. At the end of the plank, you would essentially be climbing up a 45° slope.
Let's say we just want to have a plank that gets to LEO, however. You would need a plank that is only 2872 km long, for which the slope is only around 13 degrees, which is not all that bad.
I think the problem is that it would be fucking huge and would probably snap like a twig anyway due to the unbalanced forces. It would naturally want to curve inwards.

>you would essentially be climbing up a 45° slope.

I'm ripped as shit, so I could handle it.

Screw the space elevator...this is the way to go.

Forgot to mention that this would have No practical use since you would still need to accelerate to keep speed with any space station