twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Canada

Leacock - Sunshine Sketches of a Small Town
Carson - Autobiography of Red

That's it.

China:
None.

You're being a tad bit rough on yourselves

Also, do you live in China or were you just born there?

Lahuta e Malcis - Gjergj Fishta, Albania

Hory shit, $300 for the english version on Amazon. Albanian version's only $50 though. Is your language hard?

Croatia
Miroslav Krleža - The return of Phillip Latinowicz

I'm learning Finnish and like to read, want to be bros?

Not him but there's no similar languages so it's probably pretty difficult

>Winter's Tales by Isak Dinesen
>Denmark

Being an American of Irish descent in playing this game on easy mode.

Mexico

Ukraine
Kobzar by Shevchenko

>Brhuezil
The Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas, Machado de Assis

Dom Casmurro, Machado de Assis

Grande Sertão: Veredas(The Devil to pay in the backlands), Guimarães Rosa

and many more.

We are all brothers on Veeky Forums, where are you from?

If he's half as good at writing as he was at kicking the ball then you are onto something. Funny jokes aside, don't you consider Gogol and Boulgakov ukrainan?

"If on a winter's night a traveler..." by Italo Calvino, Italy
I'm American, but Italian descent

USA, living in Tampere.

I also want some easy to read finnish litterature. I'm a dumb hurri who's not anywhere close to fluent but I want to perfect my finnish.

>Italy

Giorgio Manganelli

Marinetti

>your country
I was gonna make a King Leopold joke but then I felt it was too edgy.

A huevo.

Also, Pedro Páramo and El laberinto de la soledad.

norway
Kalle Knaus

the foundation pit, andrei platonov

russia

>Gogol and Boulgakov ukrainan?
gogol in dead souls and gogol in his ukranian tales are two different entities

Lithuania

Ričardas Gavelis - Vilnius Poker

>Start with the finns
A very brief overlook of finnish literature
As you are a member of the ankdammen, you could probably start with the swedish texts, stuff like the Runebergs (both of them) and Topelius's stories, then proceed to finnish through Lönnrots poem collections, then to Kivi, Aho, Kianto and Canth, then to Sillanpää, the Tulenkantajat-group members (most importantly Waltari and Kailas), then to Linna, Jansson, Huovinen, Paasilinna, Mukka, Hyry, and finally to Hotakainen and others

But if you are still learning finnish, you should start from the more modern books as the old finnish text is quite a bit different and you should choose books that don't feature dialects, as they might be difficult to read through. Why are you perfecting your finnish? Do you live in Finland or Tornedal?

>Tampere
Nice! I haven't been there, but I've heard it's the best finnish city right after Helsinki, what are you doing here in Finland?

Answer is boring I'm afraid, just living with my wife. Got my residence permit a week ago and I'm busting my ass studying Finnish, looking for work, etc.

>If on a winter's night a traveler...
Ah, we read parts of this book in school when I was 12, was pretty baffling. My first experience with experimental literature

Never heard of Hyry. I suppose I ought to read Uuni, it seems quite interesting. I'm actually really sad, that I haven't read more of my countrys literature.

Good luck, bro. If you want some easy reading, I recommend Donald Duck- comics. They're intended for children, but still widely read by everybody. You should be able to find them everywhere.

t. another spurdospärde

Thanks, I might be getting some old Aku Ankka soon. Right now I'm going through the first Harry Potter which gets easier all the time. Helps I read it a million times as a kid though. Can't wait to read Finnish lit in Finnish.

Kannattaa ihmeessä lukea Hyryn juttuja, ehkä vakavastiotetuin suomalainen kirjailija joka sekoittaa filosofiaa ja kaunokirjallista loistoa keskenään.
Toi mun lyhyt tiivistelmä postissa on mielestäni ihan pätevä jos kiinnostaa sukeltaa kotimaiseen kirjallisuuteen, sieltä vaan jos löytää oman oksanhaaransa niin antaa mielenkiinnon viedä suuntaansa.

Yeah, Aku Ankka is good :D
If ylilauta has a Veeky Forums board it's probably interchangeable with the Aku Ankka discussion forums

how's Kalevala?

>Belgium
Eh.
Probably "De Kapellekensbaan" by Louis Paul Boon.
For something that I know for a fact to be translated into English, "Cheese" by Willem Elsschot.

Germany
Wolfgang Koeppen

Austria
Gert Jonke

Switzerland
Max Frisch

>Norway
"Sult" by Knut Hamsun.
"Hunger" in English, I believe. One of my best reading experiences. I haven't checked out the translated version, so I'm not sure how good everything translates, but the original version is easily some of the best Norwegian literature ever written.

Kalevala is great, yet the language can be a bit difficult as poems tend to be and there are expressions that can puzzle even modern finns, or at least me, due to their poetic form, old age or karelian dialects
For example, from 42nd poem the 21st cantata:
'jo hepo höryeleikse, luppakorva luonteleikse'

I'm guessing it could be translated:
'already the horse gestures prick up, floppy-eared acts by its character'

in normal usage 'to prick up (ones ears)' would be 'höristää (korvia)', here it is 'höryeleikse', which could be a poetic union of 'höristää' and 'eleillä' or simply the karelian dialect verb ending, '-eleikse'
The 'luonteleikse' practically means 'characterically' or 'by nature', which in normal finnish would be said 'luonteenomaisesti'. It is most likely just a karelian dialect word coming the word 'luonne' ('character') made in to a verb

So yeah, wouldn't recommend the poem for a person with insufficient skills in finnish, but hey, it seems that even I am one, so go for it if you feel like reading it since it really is a great peek into the mythos of pre-christian Finland

pic related, my copy of Kalevala

Thanks man.

Hurri here, Vaasa Pohjanmaa. Well I have decided I'm going to spend a considerable patch of my adult life in Finland so I'd better get going with the language. It's not at a level where I can read any older texts.

Not so much 'perfecting' as 'learning' maybe. I can hold conversations but my vocabulary is seriously lacking and my grammar is pretty bad. Figured I can expand my vocab by reading a lot. I'm doing a goodreads reading challenge and I have 10 books left for the year and I striving for them to be finnish litterature or litterature in finnish. You have any hipsterish books to recommend?

Sorry for hijacking your thread as well.

>You have any hipsterish books to recommend

The eternal fennoswede amirite?
Well one you are sure to enjoy is 'Vadelmavenepakolainen', the tale of a finn who wants to be a swede. Otherwise I'd recommend Hotakainen's and Paasilinnas books, especially 'Juoksuhaudantie' and 'Jäniksen vuosi'

>the eternal fennoswede

Heh it sure looks like it.

>Norway
> This
also "Min Kamp" (My struggle)- Karl Ove Knausgård
And "Digte" (poems) - Sigbjorn Obstfelder

"et dukkehjem" (a dolls house) - Henrik Ibsen
and not the tippest of the toppest
but check out Jonas Bjorneboe, Jan Erik Vold, Olav H. Hauge, Tarjei Vesaas, Erlend Loe etc.

Disser ikke Sult, skulle poste den selv
fra poster av

Is Knausgård actually worth reading? I've always found him a bit of a clown

Worth it (or atleast my struggle 1-4(but you shoud read the lot) He writes like no other norwegian has for a while.
I love his books, but he sometimes acts like a pretentious cunt.

La belle bete by Marie-Clair Blais

We have plenty bohemian romantics but they love their clothes and lounges more than words

Portugal

Cortes, by Almeida Faria. Directly inspired António Lobo Antunes.

I didn't think so. I read vols 1 and 2, but thought his writing style was shoddy and the books uninteresting. I thought it was the memoir-novel as boring blog or instagram photo of breakfast... dull and mundane. I understand that part of the appeal to other writers is the "written without filter" aspect of it, that he sat and purged his imagination into the text, but I didn't think it yielded enough pleasure to slog through the mud of his unedited bog of narcissism.

By all means give it a try, though. The first volume is a small investment in what might be a very pleasurable experience. It just didn't work for me, though.

Mexico
Rulfo - Pedro Páramo
Ibargüengoitia - Las Muertas

>pic related

Canada

Émille Nelligan - Poésies complètes
Gérard Bessette - Le Libraire

Three Kingdoms is rad as fuck dude

You clearly didn't read Under The Volcano

What about these bad boys?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Great_Classical_Novels

Or these.

i.imgur.com/x97GWbQ.jpg

>Max Frisch
FUCKKKKKKK
I want to read it sooo bad
I'm from Colombia and I wanna buy it
Do any of you know where I can get it?
Thx

Sorry, got distracted. Meant >Laiseca

:v

Who's Tao Lin?

>As you are a member of the ankdammen, you could probably start with the swedish texts, stuff like the Runebergs (both of them) and Topelius's stories, then proceed to finnish through Lönnrots poem collections, then to Kivi, Aho, Kianto and Canth, then to Sillanpää, the Tulenkantajat-group members (most importantly Waltari and Kailas), then to Linna, Jansson, Huovinen, Paasilinna, Mukka, Hyry, and finally to Hotakainen and others
Don't forget Volter Kilpi and F.E. Sillanpää.

What happened to MUH Camões?

Nothing enriches the senses, sensitivity and human desires, such as masturbation. I am completely convinced that a person who masturbates, and it does well, enjoy much better life, but is also a person who has more problems facing the world.

I had Sillanpää in there!

Also, 'hepo' is a short word for 'hevonen', 'horse', which has multiple meanings nowadays
google translate translates it as 'scag', slang for heroin, which obviously isn't the right translation in the context of Kalevala

Így írtok Ti by Frigyes Karinthy
Hungarian literature all in all is cool