Why do normals pretend that 500 pages is a 'long' book?

Why do normals pretend that 500 pages is a 'long' book?

Literally one evening of reading.

You can finish that in three days, two if you push it at 200-300 on the first evening

Literally bait (which I just literally bit).

The thing is there are few 500+ pages books worth reading

This

Imo a perfect book length is roughly 300.

Yeah maybe for a spot of light reading. Weaaaaak!

I used to be able to read 500 pages with no problem but thanks to shorter reads (on the internet) and more distractions I read in chunks now.

It's not a long read, I think, just a longer read if you know what i'm trying to say.

Reading quickly isn't something to boast about, you absorb fuck all if you read 500 pages in one evening

>he can read Ulysses in a single eve

Okay.

Do people actually read 500 page books in an evening? I read a 300 page book in one sitting once and it took me nearly all day

They "read" the first sentence of every paragraph, user.

Novels maybe.

The average book is about 300, so 500 would be "long", since it's significantly longer than average.

Of course, it's really about word count, not page count, but not many book have an easy way to find their word count.

totes

Muh goats.

>ulysses
>500 pages

Blame Marx.

I love how people still deny that real life applications of Marx did not have dubious results

Whoops, remove "not" from that sentence

Depends on how dense the book is, you can pound through garbage so bereft of ideas that your brain can automatically process what happens two chapters down the line that fast but why would you? Don't tell me you could knock back 500 pages of Hegel in an evening and have a reasonable understanding of what he's saying.

It would take me a week to read a 500 page book friend

Reading fast is meme garbage.You will never be able to understand or appreciate anything with literary value. At best it's useful for reading mountains of facts but you still will most likely only remember about 75% of the contents.

I have autism and I can count words in books.