At 25 would it be too late for me to learn math and science so I can contribute in a significant manner...

At 25 would it be too late for me to learn math and science so I can contribute in a significant manner? I only know functions and basic calculus like rate of change and the slope of a tangent line. Stuff like limits allude me if I try to explain them to somebody else.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ZXsQAXx_ao0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No it is never too late. Yes you will be fighting an uphill battle, but not an unconquerable one.

you're still in your prime man, go for it

Well... you got a long way to go, to put it lightly.

You better start now.

Would khan academy help me brush up or should I read rudim and spivak to fully brush up?

It's too late. You have to acquire all your knowledge before you reach 22, because anything you're exposed to after that will simply elude your grasp. That's why college is designed to be finished by most at age 22. Of course geniuses, like the anons on this board, are special: they can learn until they're 30. This is not a troll by the way, the anons on this board truly are "special."

Start wherever you need to and slowly progress. I'm currently going through KA myself.

>special

>rudim
I assume you mean Rudin?

From where you are right now, you will want a book like Spivak that starts with the basics of calculus. Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis goes a lot more in depth and is really meant for people who are already familiar with calculus.

As for Khan Academy, it's a good resource. If you're rusty on your algebra you should definitely brush up before moving on to calculus, because in calculus you will need to be fluent in algebraic manipulation. I would not recommend solely relying on Khan Academy once you get into calculus and beyond, though. Textbooks will always be better.

Seriously just start RIGHT NOW. Just do it man seriously there's nothing else we can say.

The more time you put in to it the more you get out of it. If you pour ridiculous time into efficient learning you can easily catch up to where people are at. DO IT

but i currently work and i might have to take my classes soon. im really worried.

Fuck up. I work, have kids, and hobbies. You can still do it, just make time for study. Or don't and regret it in 5 years.

Everything is about sacrificing your time dude.

Just this

youtu.be/ZXsQAXx_ao0

This. Do it faggot

Ed Witten didn't learn physics until he was a grad student. He was a history major in undergrad.

In other words, yes.

What the fuck does this even mean? I mean, yes, you can but what the hell do you mean by "math and science"? Do you actually have a particular area of study in mind or do you just want to be a le smart scientist man? Either way I hope you figure your shit out.

You have very little motivation, my friend.

there are a lot of areas i'm interested in but i struggle in narrowing my scope. when it comes down to it i guess i'd like to study physics with a keen eye for applications, such as superconductivity and materials that adhere to its principles in a manner that can contribute to better electronics. thing is can i study something like physics and still get a chance to go into circuit theory or IC design, or would i be split away from that and focus solely on the theory of cooper pairs if i go this route?

that would be my main issue with forking off from the general science and math mantra i have at the moment. if i had to make a simplified list of areas i want to study it'd be these:

electroactive polymers

rotaxanes

Electron beam additive manufacturing

Magnetorheological fluids (specifically for applications in automotive suspensions)

josephson junctions

magnetocaloric refrigeration

Heterostructure TMO batteries

takomaks/stellerators

Flywheel energy storage

multijunction photovoltaics

and that's not even going into mathematics. before i get ragged on for how spread out this is, i genuinely do enjoy all of these equally and want to contribute as much as possible, because they appear to me as things that will change our quality of life. what do i do?

i guess what i mean to ask is, can i make a project or research thesis regarding a machine/system that utilizes all these emerging areas just so i can study them?

oh i forgot Plasma Wakefield Acceleration

That refrigeration one sounds cool. Does it have personal computer applications?

i was thinking it would help with josephson junction based electronics by making a more compact approach to keeping liquid helium cool, instead of the large layered system needed at the moment. so things pertaining to experiments for now but maybe for large radars and wireless telecommunication lines that implement CMOS Demodulators.

my only problem is that there isn't much right now in terms of fabricating josephson junctions with high resolution, so i think i would have to put chemical vapor deposition and optical fabrication methods into my area of study because we would have to form a higher resolution method compared to what's available now to make more junctions that rival transition metal oxide ICs. the potential is there it just needs some attention i'd say. i'm looking at it from a hierarchical perspective because i want the end result to be a bipedal robot capable of complex tasks and machine learning to a degree that doesn't rely on cloud networking nor cloud computing; it can independantly processing data of various types (audio/imaging/haptic) into commands that are based on various constraints that it can update on its own according to environmental parameters, again connected to the data it processes. this leads to what i would say is the ideal life.

i'd perform automotive research in electroactive polymers and Magnetorheological fluids, but they'd go towards limb studies as well.

josephson junctions for ICs, fairly universal and ubiquitous here, but would be the hardest section of all mainly for density.

Electron beam additive manufacturing, lowering the cost ceiling for mass production by relying on filaments instead of sintering powders and forged billets. doing this in an autoclave can help retain strength.

magnetocaloric refrigeration as a replacement for vapor-compression refrigeration allows for no need for a moving fluid. goes towards the robot for servo management.

Heterostructure TMO batteries for greater power storage than lithium ion, same with the flywheel.

multijunction photovoltaics for high efficiency solar cells, something a robot could use.

all in all i'm just trying to justify to other people the R&D of a robot without being upfront about it being for a robot as i provide the results for other industrial sectors. is this not viable?

A majority of my cohort are in their 30s.
It's never too late, people get a change of career all the time.

stewart wrote his texts with older adults in mind. stick with his texts.

latest editions i assume?

Take those pedo cartoons back to