terrytao.wordpress.com/books/analysis-i/
math.brown.edu/~treil/papers/LADW/LADW.html
people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/)
libgen.io/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bump

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Veeky Forums_Wiki

Anderson is GOAT when it comes to Aeronautics textbooks

Erothic photography? It comes to have really numbers in good mathematically explainable ratios...

Stewart is awful. Throw it away.

baby rudin

god no
please no
you have no idea how many enthusiastic math autodidacts I've seen crushed by this retarded book
use terrytao.wordpress.com/books/analysis-i/ instead, and don't recommend Rudin outside a classroom reference setting

>Reading Rudin before you have mathematical maturity
>Blames Rudin

That's like saying MTW's Gravitation book is bad for learning because enthusiastic popsci fan get crushed by it since they never studied freshman physics before.

I agree, apparently the consensus on Rudin is it's a great reference book
but that's exactly why recommending it in a board for people with little to no formal education in math who wish to self study is a bad idea

personally though, I dislike rudin anyway. I remember being grossed out by the sleek, unintuitive proofs. Some people might like that, who knows

I don't know about the brown rudin but man the black one is so good. I studied the first part, and partially the second and the third. If you think the book is hard you likely lack the very basics of topology.

>If you think
* If anyone thinks I meant to say.

It's a great book period. Plenty of students learn from it.

At the very least II would recommend to stay away from his exercises and to just get them from another resource such as a class page you can find online where the class uses Rudin.
Many of his exercises are ridiculously tedious or require ridiculously long proofs that give you significant diminishing returns. At the very least only do the exercises professors assign from whatever class pages you can find, doing them all is wildly impractical and you will probably hate math in doing so.

the exercises are objectively amazing and maybe the redeeming quality for self learning
it's the super-sleek proofs and condensed style I have a problem with.

fuckin garbage

the only "reading" you need to do

Why tho?

Not baiting, genuinely curious. Reading through it now (self-study), seems like a good introductory text.

Anyone read Introduction to linear algebra by Gilbert Strang? I really need a new linear algebra book and this one fucking sucks. It just seems like some parts are needlessly wordy, also there are no solutions. No clue if I'm on the right track, because 0 feedback. What do y'all recommend?

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad. Virtually every problem is interesting and worthwhile.

I think it's fair to have a problem with the ultra condensed proofs, but it's definitely the sort of thing where if you manage to get through it, you come out a lot stronger than if you had used an easier book.
It's fine for people who don't want to do math (i.e. engineering, physics, economics, etc.). It is trash for math people, but it's pretty common to be forced to learn calculus the non-rigorous way first for a variety of reasons, which creates the negative reaction

Are you doing math for math or for application?

math for math, i'm taking honors linear algebra in september, and i've heard some really bad stuff about my teacher. best lin algebra book?

it's here

Ah, good. My major is biochem, and I'm going through this book because I find calculus fun. If I want rigorous stuff explained, I just google the proof.

I like Linear Algebra Done Right by Axler, I've read this and can vouch for it. Other recommendations I've seen are Linear Algebra by Shilov. I tried this, it was too russian for my style, but some people like that. Finite Dimensional Vector Spaces by Halmos is a classic, you could try that as well.

if anyone's interested in class field theory and it's history and it's current state of being generalized into the langlands program, this book was extremely interesting and doesn't skimp out on the details

'Emil Artin and Beyond - Class Field Theory and L-Functions' by Della Dumbaugh, Joachim Schwermer

Is that a book for ants?

There's no such thing as a good Physics book or class. You just get through it.

Neukirch - Algebraic Number Theory
Truly an excellent book

>It's fine for people who don't want to do math
What about Stewart's exercises set? I have read Courant, but found his exercises pretty hard with no fun.

A friend recommended it. What's your opiniom, Veeky Forums?

>I'm taking honors linear algebra in september

Linear Algebra Done Wrong
math.brown.edu/~treil/papers/LADW/LADW.html

Hey, f a m. What are some good alternatives to this book for learning about proofs?

>Mathematics
Introductory Discrete Mathematics: Discrete Mathematics and its Applications by Kenneth Rosen; Discrete and Combinatorial Mathematics by Ralph P. Grimaldi
Calculus Sequence: Calculus Early Transcendentals by James Stewart
Real Analysis: Real Analysis I & II by Terrence Tao

It is quite nice

is there some place where i can get all the pdf's and/or ebooks of the books in that list?

Raven's plant biology is the best plant science book an undergrad could ever get.

who the hell reads textbooks

people smarter than you

Book of Proof by Hammack (people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/)
A Transition to Advanced Mathematics by Smith, Eggen, and St. Andre
Conjecture and Proof by Laczkovich

>Discrete Mathematics and its Applications by Kenneth Rosen
>recommending this to anyone beyond the 9th grade

libgen.io/ should have almost everything.

Shush, brainlet.

Any opinions on this book?

looks like a meme

shlomo sternberg and loomis, without a doubt.

>shlomo
That's not a real name.

Found the engineer

frankly, it's the best thing I've ever read by a /pol/ dummy account, and the only advanced calculus book I've ever seen which offers and introduction to banach algebras, for example.

yes it is

>schlomo stemberg

Boob-chan goes to Post brat instead.

bretty comfy

Exercise 1 of chapter 10 is 15 pages long. And don't tell me you learned anything by doing the convex set exercises where it's just 10 lines of manipulating function compositions. These are only some examples.

Very pretty cover

>Reading past chapter 8 of Baby Rudin.

brat is shit taste

Take your pedophile cartoons back to .