ITT: pages you read today or yesterday and what it was

ITT: pages you read today or yesterday and what it was.

70, near the end. Broom of the System by DFW.

Got slightly rustled by the cheating aspect, which is annoying considering how prevalent it is in every form of media.

"The time last night when [hot wife] cried in front of [bull] was the first time she had ever cried in front of anybody else, at all.

[Cuck] has cried in front of lots of people."

Rick Vigorous has cried in front of lots of people.

0, i dont read

About 50, I think.

Twenty-two, then I dropped the kindle on my face and swiftly fell into death-like sleep. I woke up as if in a different world. The kindle was placed neatly next to my bed and aligned with it, face up. It showed the main menu. I checked the last open page, I have no recollection of it.

About 150 in the middle of house of leaves (so 50 of these pages only had a few words on them). I'm enjoying it a lot but I'm still waiting for it to scare me...

I remember finishing that on a trip to Niagra falls when I was 17. Don't remember a lot about it, but I kept waiting for it to scare me, too, and it never happened. But apparently the descriptions of the endless black rooms really did it for some people.

Ya I guess, what did you think of it? a lot of people say the weird formatting is just style over substance but I really think it adds to it. I like the feeling that the text has passed through many hands before it got to you.

approx 150 or so?

Dostoyevsky:
White Nights
Meek One
Dream of a Ridiculous Man

+ a few essays by Leibniz (who is stupidly underappreciated around here) and a buncha poems.

120, nearly finished White Noise by Don DeLillo.

I'm enjoying it and will probably read some of his other work soon, who are some other similar authors?

I finished Broom. I am too dumb for this shit.

40 of Infinite Jest
>tfw I've been meme'd

Gone Girl.

From ~200 to ~270, and will try to read another 70 or so pages later tonight.

Just found out a (the?) major twist in the story, but theres little under a half remaining, so at this rate i'm expecting something even bigger.

My thoughts are pic related. This book is awesome.

>INB4 dude genre fiction LMAO!

I read about 65 pages yesterday. I finished Zamyatin's We (I only had about 60 pages left on it - I really didn't enjoy it) and I began Shakespeare's King Lear which, while not far into it, it has me pretty intrigued so far.

Gone Girl is pulpy as fuck, but I agree, it's pretty good fun.

About 200ish yesterday. Just about finished off the Sword of the Lictor and was reading some novellas by Pushkin.

about 50. from The Jamesonian Unconscious: The Aesthetics of Marxist Theory. It was pretty interesting, with a lot of stylistic indulgences and digressions on the nature of digression, examples on the use and abuse of the example, etc. All very meta.

Nausicaa- Ulysses
Portrait of a Lady- 30 pages

>The Jamesonian Unconscious: The Aesthetics of Marxist Theory.
nice meme book, gonna read zizek next, eh?

>ITT: pages you read today or yesterday and what it was.
None, but i'm saving my poop to continue the short story book I'm reading. I expect to readd 20 or 30 pages during my poopy time.

what did you hope to accomplish here?

an ideologic critque of (you)

faggot

Weak day, read the first 30 pages of John Hawkes' The Lime Twig. A little dense but enjoyable so far. Hope to read more of it, as well as this Machado de Assis book I'm reading, later today.

Haven't read anything yet today.

Yesterday I read the last 30-40 pages of The Clockwork Universe. The book was kind of disappointing. I did enjoy learning more about the development of early modern physics, astonomy, and calculus, but there was too much filler bullshit in between the good bits. Something I probably would have enjoyed more about 12-15 years ago, would recommend for someone in their mid-teens.

Also read the first roughly 60 pages of Sophie's Choice. I've mostly enjoyed it so far. I like Styron's manner of describing everything from characters to sights and sounds. He is more skilled in making everything real and alive than most authors I've read. I only have vague memories of the film as it's been years since I saw it and it's been about 6 years since I read the climactic chapter for a moral philosophy course, so I do have some idea of where exactly things are going, but I can tell I'll enjoy the ride. The two knocks I have (both related to each other) are that I feel he has the tendency to use unnecessarily arcane and archaic language and also to draw out his explanations and descriptions of certain events, settings, etc.

Later today I plan to continue with Sophie's Choice and also pick up where I left off with Tennyson's Idylls of the King about a week ago or else maybe continue with a book on pagan religions of the ancient British Isles I've been reading.

I really like her writing style - like how she writes the internal monologue going through their heads in italics and uses short sentences for much of the book.

Anyone seen the movie?

Sometimes I take a day break before picking up a new book. The day before I read about 75 pages of butcher's crossing

That's fucked up mayne

Been reading Les Miserables since morning, put it on and off for the week but the battle of Waterloo stuff was great, really insightful into the strategics that went on and I've just finished reading up to where Jean has slept at the inn Cosette works at. The meeting between those two in the woods when Cosette is fetching water has to be one of my favourite parts of the novel so far, everything about that whole passage was just wonderful.

Farenheit 451
As a dystopian future is acceptable. Main character is a little bit too bland and unbelievable. He goes from full pyromaniac to oh shit, our society is so fucked up. I don't know, maybe something got lost in translation but it felt as if it needed more development. The other characters are fine and even enjoyable. Beatty is a fucking ubermensch, the speech he gives to Montang when he "feels sick" literally gave me goosebumps and I got completely immersed to the point I could almost see him in front of me, burning out a book.
Again, I felt like the novel was too short. The ending was to abrupt. The message was clear but it felt so rushed, I think this novel would have gained a lot by adding a chapter in the begining showing how Montag could be open to change and one in the end so we see how society is completly oblivious about the war that is tearing them apart.

All in all I rate it 451/ 600
Not the best dystopian novel, but pretty good.

back from pooping, read 22 pages

the story was aight

Read all of Woman in the Dunes yesterday, fun stuff :) :) :)

What story was it? I'm reading flabbergasted oconnor''s stories

all of Between the World and Me
a chapter of V.
ten pages of The Once and Future King

60 or so. The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, just finished it.

It was ok. Not really my kind of thing, but fast, entertaining, and ~intriguing~ enough for a plane ride or vacation or something.

like 2 pages of Siddhartha. Saw it at the library so I checked it out despite having the ebook

75 pages of Gravity's Rainbow. Included was the eight page bit where Tyrone eats British candy and suffers, and where the reader first witnesses a V-2 strike near his sexual encounter. I haven't laughed out loud at a book in a while, but that section did it.

"Os sapatos da irmã" by Mário Dionísio

60 from All quiet on the western front, Also read a few old French Grimoires

Same

12 the rebellious man by camus
10 quine word and object
10 treatise on human understanding

The movie wasn´t good. Didn´t read the book though.

150 pages of My Life Leon Trotsky