Fish as a main protein source?

I want to take on a vegetarian diet with the addition of fish, but mercury and toxin levels in fish supposidly mean I can not eat fish every day as a main protein source.

Are there any fish or shellfish with such low levels that I could eat lets say 300g a day, every day? Even if it's just a 150g portion a day, is this something I can do without seriously putting my health at risk?

I know tuna, shark, swordfish etc are off the menu.

Other urls found in this thread:

fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/Metals/ucm115644.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

there is actually a lot of low mercury seafood, generally things lower on the food chain don't live long enough to accumulate much mercury in their bodies

What said.

Fish low in the food chain generally don't live long enough for bioaccumulation to occur, and the food they consume (phytoplankton, weeds, etc) generally have only trace amounts of mercury.

You'd be pretty safe eating prawns (inb4 sea-roaches) and fish like anchovies/sardines with others listed as "safe" by the CRM.

so this is the same for PCBs?

thanks for the info, definitely a help

>Ahi tuna
>0.639
I should probably cut back on the amount of sushi I order with that

As an aside, the kind of diet you're talking about is called pescatarianism. It's not very widely acknowledged in like restaurants and such but that is the technical name for it.

maybe if they serve 8 year old fish, early adults caught shouldnt have even close to that much mercury. mfw HI-fag and eat it all the time

i hate people like you, op

You mean pescatarian

Is that cat's cake made out of Salmon puree' or something?

>shrimp
>fish
stopped reading

stop eating fish it's no better than meat ethically and it's literally poisonous

it's worse ethically

unless you stick to farmed mollusks

are fish oil supplements more ethical and healthy than eating fish?

These both specify "wild" salmon. Is farmed fish higher in mercury? I know most people prefer wild, but farmed is cheaper and more sustainable.

WHAT YOURE REFERRING TOO IS A POPULAR DIE AMONG THE PEOPLES OF THE NORTHERN CLIMES. THEY ARE FAMOUS FOR THE CHUBBY POSTERIORS AND ABSURDLY LOW RATES OF HEART DISEASE.

>ALL SIGNS POINT TO YES

same industry
fish has vitamins etc.
prefer fish over the pills I guess

fish oil is a scam anyways

You don't need to eat meat/fish to get protein. There's plenty in vegetables, beans, lentils, etc.

Vegetable protein is incomplete and less bioavailable.
Also good luck getting proper dietary iron from plants, nerd.

>Vegetable protein is incomplete
You can combine food sources to get the complete protein. e.g. combine legumes with grains or nuts.

shit i love swordfish

ur making a mistake by taking it off the menu senpai

i eat a ton of fish and i havent got mercury poisoning yet. swordfish, salmon, and tuna are probably the fish i eat most. i also eat alot of tilapia and haddock. halibut is too expensive for me.

damn

i love fish

so good

i would give up chicken before i gave up fish. top three meats easily. beef pork and fish. top 3.

when i cook swordfish i will typically buy a kilo of it and cook 500g at a time for a dinner. i eat swordfish like minimum once per week. it's usually twice because i buy 1 kg and then separate it into two 500g portions, and each one is a dinner. i probably eat fish like 4 - 5 times per week. i will always save 1 day per week to not eat any meat at all, just because that was the norm for me growing up as a kid, and its something i never really hated so ive carried on the tradition myself.

i dnot remember the point i was trying to make, but i dont think that much fish will kill you. ive been doing this routine for about a year now and again i probably dont have mercury poisoning so maybe you are ok.

i love swordfish man

man i love swordfish

could really go for some swordfish right now boys, lemme tell you that shit is delicious

gonna have it tomorrow for dinner

Hold the fuck up.

You do realize that chronic mercury poisoning takes a few years to show symptoms, right?

Fuck man, I love swordfish too, but I'm sure ain't fucking with mercury.

Why no beans user?

worms desu senpai

and yeah OP

Sardines are basically the god fish.
>low mercury
>not overfished
>cheap
>all the dank oils

>Today, most of the salmon available for us to eat is farmed. Early studies reported high levels of PCBs and other contaminants in farmed salmon – higher than in some species of wild salmon, such as pink salmon. Follow-up studies haven't confirmed this and the consensus among scientists and regulators is that farmed salmon and wild salmon are safe foods.

>Farmed salmon available in Washington state markets is produced in Washington State, Canada, Maine, or Chile. Studies on salmon from these sources have shown low levels of organic contaminants in the fish. Strict rules on contaminant levels in feed ingredients are now in place. Changes in feed have lowered contaminant levels in these fish.

fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/Metals/ucm115644.htm