Is there anything more cancerous in modern math education?

Is there anything more cancerous in modern math education?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lRxKHC7AlHc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yes, teaching calculus without rigor

This fucking God-forsaken anti-intellectual shit heap of a board

I don't exactly see the point? It's 16/3 written in a easier way. I can convert it into decimal far faster this way too - 5.3 recurring.

/thread

underrated post

It's ambiguous you moron.

not at all

>ambiguous
I know. I should've said that it's 16/3 written in another way that makes it easier to convert to decimal or something along those lines.

However, I still don't understand OP when he says mixed fractions are "cancerous" to modern mathematics education.

goddamn I just love sucking dick

It's a master-of-none compromise between decimals and fractions that no one ever actually uses, yet children are taught and tested over it for years as if it's a fundamental part of their education.

>that no one ever actually uses
speak for yourself

I suppose you're right, I tend to only use improper fractions when doing calculations. Mixed fractions are easier for calculating mentally IMO.

It’s not 16/3 you USA cuckold it’s 5/3.

(You)

>tfw mixed fractions wasn't even taught to me
>learnt it from self studying american textbooks
feelsbadman

[math] 5 \frac{1}{3} = \frac{5}{1} \frac{1}{3} = \frac{5 \cdot 1}{1 \cdot 3} = \frac{5}{3} = 1 \frac{2}{3} [/math]

Isn't that equal to 2/3 by your logic? You should finish the proof mate.

>the number 10 is ambiguous because it could be read as 1X0
If it were multiplication it would be written as 5(1/3) or (5)1/3 or (5)(1/3).

>I can convert it into decimal
Absolutely haram. Decimals are for numbers with finite precision, and repeating decimals are a stupid meme only good for trolling highschoolers with 0.(9) = 1.

>the number 10 is ambiguous because it could be read as 1 + 0
Try again.

Amen, brother. Teach analysis or don't teach calculus at all.

>b-b-ut what is Δx and dx?

It means a tiny bit of x, little Timmy.

>whats the difference?

....I am underqualified for this job, Timmy, and the state has designed a curriculum that caters to academic competition and occupation preparation.

Welcome to Veeky Forums, fucking summerfags everywhere

This is totaly bullshitness in your head, calling this cancerous... In modern math education fact we dont have 3 and 7 money notes is more cancerous...

i remember discovering this in 7th grade and showed friends who all thought i was retarded, why the hell do they take the plus sign out???

But 10 isn't ambiguous because it's written in a familiar and widely used system of notation. Just like 5 1/3.

>5 1/3
>familiar and widely used system of notation

so you've never gone past elementary school or had a real job, huh? how's mom's basement this time of the year, does it get stuffy?

I actually read this as 5 * 1/3 , maybe I am autistic, it never occurred to me it could mean 5 + 1/3 .

There's no way they don't teach the difference between deltax and dx... Right?

lmao dude

And one more.

fucking retarded.

Holy shit I forgot about the imperial system. USA truly is the cancer of science.

I remember an American professor at my non-American university tried to justify the imperial system on my university subreddit, he got downvoted to oblivion.

>in b4 youtube.com/watch?v=lRxKHC7AlHc

This notation should only be used to help children understand fractions. It wasn't until my final year of high school that my new math teacher told me how impractical this notation was, and I was so happy that I didn't have to deal with this shit anymore.

It's less than ideal for most scientific and mathematical contexts, it isn't impractical at all for everyday measurements.

they do, dx is smaller than delta x

Ɛ
The decimal system

>>the number 10 is ambiguous because it could be read as 1X0

No, it's not. A series of digits is always considered one number.

Right, as is an integer followed by a fraction.

>Right, as is an integer followed by a fraction.

No, it's a considered a multiplication. Read any Calculus book, that's the consensus.

Now get out.

Show me one example of a number like 5 1/3 meaning multiplication. Pro tip: [spoiler]I seriously doubt you can.[/spoiler]

From Baby Rudin, first chapter:

>1.13
>(a) One usually writes (in any field) ... xyz, ... in place of ... (xy)z, ...

Are you being stupid on purpose? Obviously mixed numbers can only be constructed out of actual numerals. Notation is different when you're dealing with other symbols, x y/z doesn't mean x + y/z, but neither does xyz mean 100x + 10y + z. You're seriously grasping at straws here to justify your autism.

I hope you're kidding.

>doing math with numbers
>using numbers at all

Is that [math]5\fract{1}{3}=\fract{16}{3}[/math] or [math]5*\fract{1}{3}=\fract{5}{3}[/math] ? Usually [math]\fract{a}{b}[/math] implies [math]\left\fract{a}{b}\right[/math] and [math]a\left b \right[/math] implies [math]a*\left b \right[/math]. If your notation is ambiguous. Then your notation is shit m8.

fuck latex

>513=5113=5⋅11⋅3=53=123

[math]\frac{a+b}{c-d}[/math]

Uh

mixed numberss are useful in addition and subtraction, which is in the grade level that fractions are introduced

I verbally abuse any of my students who use this notation.

how? you will still need to get to a common denominator

But you don't have to deal with numerators as large.