Whats the "dadrock" of literature?

whats the "dadrock" of literature?

/mu/ posters should be banned

/sffg/

I think it's actually a decent question.

I'd probably say Southern Gothic or maybe Pomo, that'd match the time period.

definitely Tolkien

Tom Clancy

Hunter S. Thompson, Tom Wolfe, Jack Kerouac, etc.

truer words never spoken

Anything by Tom Clancy.

all the king's men by warren

This.

One of the first posts I read on this board was "lol go back to mew"

It was true then and it was true now.

Starting with the Greeks

Kipling, Steinbeck, Miller.

Dead White males, if you can meme it.

Kerouac for sure. Shit that was sooooo progressive in his day and man you kids don't even understand but really isn't that deep or interesting and honestly wasnt even that transgressive in its day.
I would give Thompson more cred cause he was and remained sharp till the end, always piercing any political or corporate bullshit. His article right after 9/11 was great for example. But I guess he still qualifies. Not all dad rock is bad after all.

fpbp

Hemingway and Fitzgerald is the only right answer

>His article right after 9/11 was great for example.
that article is amazing, but mostly he died as a writer after the rumble in the jungle
I think he wrote one supposedly good book after that, haven't read it

Really depends how pretentious your dad is.

non-fiction about ww2
historical fiction about rome, samurais, vikings etc

>required reading in the 60s and 70s but irrelevant today
>teenagers misguidedly brag about reading it
>it's complete dogshit
fits the bill pretty well I think

Damn you can't be more wrong. Fucking Aarfy man.

My dad's favorite author is Steinbeck and his favorite musician is Dylan, who I guess is dad rock? Idk, I like Steinbeck and Dylan too but I don't pay too much attention to curating some identity for myself based on what I like.

I think it's sort of a dumb question, desu. Why does there have to be an equivalent? Maybe there isn't one.

/thread

Sports autobiographies

Kurt Vonnegut
Stephen King
Haruki Murukami
James Patterson
Discworld bullshit

this

What is worse than suburban white men in their early 20s who think their tastes are obscure and alternative because they like the beats?
triggers me bad

Judging by my dad
>Greene
>la Carre
>All key Russians
Currently doing Leatherstocking Tales by Fenimore Cooper

do people really think it's alternative to like the beats in 2016?
i mean i like the beats, but liking kerouac is like liking hemingway at this point.

Arthur C Clarke

Edgar Rice Burroughs, Rudyard Kipling, Joseph Conrad, H. Rider Haggard

throw in William Burroughs, Henry Miller, and DeLillo to a small extent

Kingsly Amis

The Beatles - Kerouac
The Rolling Stones - Orwell
The Beach Boys - Hemingway
Bob Dylan (acoustic) - Steinbeck
Bob Dylan (electric) - Burroughs
Pink Floyd - Faulkner
The Doors - Huxley
Grateful Dead - Vonnegut
Led Zeppelin - HST
ACDC - John Le Carre
Kiss - Tom Clancy
Bruce Springsteen - Cormac McCarthy

>Not liking Discworld

Nigga

I've never seen my dad read a book

Gay beats are still a little transgressive.
Kerouac was just a drunk who liked black and Latina grils.

As far as literature goes, I only ever saw my dad read Don Quixote, Moby Dick, and Shakespeare. But even then he read those while he did the bulk of his reading when he was deployed (US Naval officer) and would be finishing them up when he came back home. At home, he only read historical nonfiction; things like biographies of Napoleon, John Wilkes Booth or Lincoln. But most of the time he'd just drink and watch baseball.

Add in Tolkien and Herbert but yeah, this is the most dadcore lit.

nobody thinks they're edgy for liking the beats except like sixteen year old boys lol

I can tell you some of what was on my granddad's bookshelf:

>Richard Llewellyn - How Green Was My Valley
>Tolkien - just Children of Hurin for some reason
>Richard Condon - The Manchurian Candidate
>James Herriot - All Creatures Great and Small + sequels
>Walter Isaacson - Einstein
>David McCullough - 1776
>Scrabble and crossword dictionaries
>Different types of Bible
>Louis L'Amour and assorted Old West nonfiction
>Sherlock Holmes
>Lots of King, Koontz, and

I miss him.

Norman mailer john Updike and Saul bellow

Suckle on my knuckles

Burroughs is the static you get when turning the radio to the point between the local college radio station and the station thats basically an infinitely long sermon given by a conservative, loud preacher, a point that's 90% static but occasionally touches on a semi coherent phrase or song from the two nearby channels. These 2 channels are often close together but not always close enough to do this.

Anyone mention Norman mailer? Because Norman mailer.

HARDY BOYS

fucking /thread

In what way is that /thread? post is pretentious and answering a question nobody ever asked

negative one million/10

This 100%

Clive Cussler

military sci-fi like Ringo, Scalzi, Heinlein et. al

any 20th century American lit basically

Anything mentioned in the dead poets society
This is irrefutable

im surprised noone's mentioned Dean Koontz

Those are all insane comparisons. Hemingway and the Beach Boys? Bruce fucking Springsteen and Cormac McCarthy? Actually nearly all of them.

They're not even connected by time period. Music hasn't really been influenced by literature for the most part. But it's obvious how it influenced Kerouac and basically all writers since the invention of rock and roll.

Lee Child, Ken Follett.

The Catcher in the Rye

kerouac obviously

>Music hasn't really been influenced by literature for the most part.
>

Many of the writers ITT started as counter-culture and with the progress of time, they became dad-lit. Not just the Beats, but Kingsley Amis, who now seems the very image of Brit dad-lit, started out as part of the Angry Young Men.

My vote is for the writers who were always dad-lit, like Cussler (), Clancy () or Koontz (). Plus Harold Robbins, who was the king-daddy of them all.

"Banned" books aren't even banned on a federal level, and are mostly banned because some helicopter mom in a town of 500 or less complained about their edginess and got them removed from a shitty school, despite the edginess being the only redeeming feature of most of them that contributes to their legacy, your pic related being a pretty good example alongside Catcher in the Rye

You'll never find ACTUAL banned books at a banned books display

Pulp and the Beatkniks

Shogun
Killer Angels

No dad-library without those two.

This

Gay beats are literally less transgressive. At least the cis-centred ones are still sexists. The Gays are lorded and any aggression or violence is just "understandable anger " get fucked

>My vote is for the writers who were always dad-lit, like Cussler (), Clancy () or Koontz (). Plus Harold Robbins, who was the king-daddy of them all.
They're dadcore but they're not really literary.

I agree with the following as being dadcore authors I only really see talked about by old people:
>Henry Miller
>Joseph Conrad (sans Heart of Darkness)
>Charles Dickens
>John Steinbeck