Holy shit the first Kim Clark chapter is so fucking bad and it's like 30 pages...

Holy shit the first Kim Clark chapter is so fucking bad and it's like 30 pages. Up until this point every chapter was very good... This chapter is unbelievably shitty.

Oh shit waddup

WHO'S BANE AND WHY DOES HE WEAR A MASK?

I thought a few lit people had read this?

You were wrong, user.

redpill me on this book

I've heard good things

I've heard bad things

I don't want to get memed into reading it because reviewers blew their loads over the mere fact that the author was a darkie, only to find out that it's shit. That's happened a few times.

>lit reads

you got memed son

Disregard all that you've heard and just make your own opinion. Read it and judge it for yourself.

There's just one guy who keeps posting about how much he liked it.

Naw there is discussion. When it won one guy said he read it and there were some good threads in the weeks after. The problem with Veeky Forums, as always, is that it is 50% 16-18 year olds who are cutting their teeth on Huxley and Orwell, 40% undergrad philosophy majors, and 10% readers, 90% of which are goodreads thread regulars who are just trying to show off to each other.

She isnt an engaging character until midway through the book, although I found the portrayal of the "moneyed" Jamaican middle class interesting.

I take month-long breaks from this shithole every once in a while so I must've missed those.

I really like when awards season comes about, even if the winner is typical leftist pandering, there are usually one or two books that honestly try to address the human experience.

Fair enough... Right now she's just a housewife with anxiety and I'm not a fan. I thought the previous characters were all compelling, Alex Pearce and Barry DiFiano probably the least out of the bunch. They were the most generic, I thought.

>goodreads thread regulars
>show off to each other
The goodreads people are the most sincere people on this board. The interaction taking place there is mostly encouraging each other's reading.

>Right now she's just a housewife with anxiety.

Um...you know who Kim Clarke is right?

Wardine be cry, mon.

No

Bomboclaat

He was being interviewed yesterday on English-language France 24. Had no idea it who he was, i tuned in in the middle, he was talking about Marley and how the political parties were trying to latch on to him, then he talked about how homophobic Jamaica is but that's beginning to change and how he's into that Odd Future band The Internet.

They showed the book at the end, but i assumed it was non-fiction. Sounds like it's akin to historical fiction, though.

It has lots of magical realism in it. It is basically a Jamaican Godfather with some aspects of the Latin American lit boom.

His earlier books were better desu. John Crow's Devil and Night Women were fucked up.

she gets better

Yes, the first couple chapters with her are torture to read, and they're also the reason so many women have praised the book for "getting them". Push past it, even her story gets much better.

Not "lots", barely any, less than the hamlet amount, even, to the point where it isn't worth mentioning

Why do you even fucking come here if youre just gonna trashtalk every type of "reader" that comes here? You probably fall into a category thats just as bad as any that you mentioned.

You come here, you click the burgers, all that to reply and bring attention to a post not worth replying to
Me too

I've only read one excerpt from the book but this basically describes it

>so many women have praised the book for "getting them"
The more I read about this book from people who like it the more it sounds like utter shit

This looks like a novelized Tarantino movie and I hate his movies so I'll bet this book sucks