Sit in on digital signal processing lecture to see how much of a joke engineering "classes" are

>sit in on digital signal processing lecture to see how much of a joke engineering "classes" are
>professor says Dirac delta "function"

Other urls found in this thread:

vvz.ethz.ch/Vorlesungsverzeichnis/sucheLehrangebot.do?lang=de&search=on&semkez=2016W&studiengangTyp=BSC&deptId=2&studiengangAbschnittId=65572&bereichAbschnittId=66155&unterbereichAbschnittId=66808&lerneinheitstitel=&lerneinheitscode=&famname=&rufname=&wahlinfo=&lehrsprache=&katalogdaten=&search=Search
vvz.ethz.ch/Vorlesungsverzeichnis/sucheLehrangebot.do?lang=en&search=on&semkez=2016W&studiengangTyp=BSC&deptId=18&studiengangAbschnittId=65584&bereichAbschnittId=&lerneinheitstitel=&lerneinheitscode=&famname=&rufname=&wahlinfo=&lehrsprache=&katalogdaten=&search=Search
ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-02-physics-ii-electricity-and-magnetism-spring-2007/
pastebin.com/raw/r5ctLwen
portal.vik.bme.hu/kepzes/targyak/VIHVMA08/en/
pastebin.com/raw/QjuYS76i
pastebin.com/raw/9VPmUHq9
portal.vik.bme.hu/kepzes/targyak/TE90AX09/en/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

did you at least call him out on it or are you too cucked for that?

This thread has happened before and will happen again.

So the actual jokes are the physicists which is confirmed by this thread.

this desu senpai

i will keep posting it until engineers understand that they are in a low IQ containment major that offers absolutely no value to society

Wikipedia calls it the Dirac delta function too. It's not technically accurate, but a shitload of people do it.

>offers absolutely no value to society
I hate brainlet engineers are much as the next guy, but this is really not the argument you want to make

>They are in a low IQ containment major
Correct
>that offers absolutely no value to society
Incorrect.

>t. contributed nothing and never will (maybe some extremely autistic derivative shit if lucky)

The dirac delta is a function if you approach it from the measure theoretic perspective.

Haha, all these mad physicists because the EE guy at their university is doing some heavy physics work in semiconductor technology or does applied physics research in wave propagation related to radars and stealth craft.

Or maybe you guys are just butthurt because the guy with an EE MSc got accepted into the Applied Physics PhD program at your university while they didn't give a shit about you.

It must be real bad that you need to do a full degree in what most real engineers teach themselves by opening a book and yet you don't know shit until you get your PhD and even after that it's still questionable, because you lack the basic sense of practicality.

Oh wait, it's not that, it's simply the fact that popsci and black holes aren't really that cool irl... you shouldn't have chosen your degree based on information from Stargate SG-1.

Bait

But I am in EE you dumb fuck

You wish... that post is quite accurate, a bit long though. Most of the average or a bit above average physicists are crying due to similar reasons.
Mentally challenged probably. Is this the best bait aspiring physics students can muster?

You guys seem like that guy is spot on.

>It must be real bad that you need to do a full degree in what most real engineers teach themselves by opening a book and yet you don't know shit until you get your PhD and even after that it's still questionable, because you lack the basic sense of practicality.
This is the only bait sounding piece there, mostly cause of the last part regarding practicality. It seems like a retarded reason.

kek engineers think they know physics
is this what they resort to after they claim they know math because of knowing calculus and get BTFO?

physicists think they know physics, but can't handle a simple buckling problem or model inviscid flow

he just mad becuz an enggy fugged the grill he orbits.

This fucking thread. Kill yourself.

>Skill-less physicist in distress.
Where is my popcorn?

Engineers getting roasted itt

You wish... kid.

>I memorized some formulas that they gave to me, so I'm at the same level as someone know knows physics

this is saying
>mathematicians think they know maths, but can't handle a simple triple integral problem or solve a cash flow

>>I memorized some formulas that they gave to me
Ahahaha. Real engineers derive their shit.

no, they don't. they don't take physics classes, they take engineering classes.

being given a magic formula and turning it into something else is not deriving

>I am an absolute expert on every engineering program in existence

Let me guess: you're American too

>don't make fun of me please
post your program so I can make more fun of it

>no, they don't. they don't take physics classes, they take engineering classes.
This implies a bunch of things:
A, All engineering education is the same and they're exactly like you imagine it in your head.
B, Being an engineer somehow means that all you did was get a degree in engineering.

In reality I talked about "real" engineers, who are talented and capable of auto-didactically learning shit. These skills applies to physicists too, just choosing math or physics doesn't make you automatically better, kid.

Implying in your shitty physics bsc you ever derived anything.

>sorry math senpai, I know all engineering sucks. but you can totally be good if you auto-didactically learn!

don't worry bro, just be careful next time when talking to someone in superior math or physics. good luck in your freshman year, they say you guys have difficulties with calculus sometimes.

>just be careful next time when talking to someone in superior math or physics.
Yet, your reading comprehension is absolutely zero.
>auto-didactically learning shit.
This is a minimum requirement for any degree if you don't want to suck cocks. It looks like you missed it.
Also, what part of
>A, All engineering education is the same and they're exactly like you imagine it in your head.
you don't understand?

Let me translate it you in more simply words so that a pure science fag can understand:
Real engineering programs makes you real shit, deriving basic physics shit is easy. Most probably you can't even do that. Apart from that real engineers always improve themselves auto-didactically to be on the top. (For that matter anyone with serious interests pursuing any degree does exactly that.)

It's not in English so your small Anglo brain wouldn't understand it

ETH Zurich tho if you wanna search it

>Real engineering programs makes you real shit,
>Real engineering programs makes you *do* real shit,
typo

>water is blue so I'm right

you know why I know you aren't even in college? you distance yourself so much from "real engineering programs" and avoid at all costs being specific

good luck in your freshman year

itt
>the angry physicist who got turned down by the engineer he had a crush on, he managed to fall for the one heterosexual engineer
>3 math majors
>7 engineers

What "real engineering programs"? There are a number of different engineering problems. Though EEs are heavy on modern physics here. That's the one I'm most familiar with. Although we aren't fucking around in my CSE degree either.
Usually the EE guys are the ones who later get into physics PhDs.

jesus christ, this website is a fucking labyrinth
anyway, just like any other engineering degree, absolutely no rigor and filled with practical memorization subjects, as you can notice by the books they use

vvz.ethz.ch/Vorlesungsverzeichnis/sucheLehrangebot.do?lang=de&search=on&semkez=2016W&studiengangTyp=BSC&deptId=2&studiengangAbschnittId=65572&bereichAbschnittId=66155&unterbereichAbschnittId=66808&lerneinheitstitel=&lerneinheitscode=&famname=&rufname=&wahlinfo=&lehrsprache=&katalogdaten=&search=Search

what a fucking waste of my time

Here is english for youb tard
vvz.ethz.ch/Vorlesungsverzeichnis/sucheLehrangebot.do?lang=en&search=on&semkez=2016W&studiengangTyp=BSC&deptId=18&studiengangAbschnittId=65584&bereichAbschnittId=&lerneinheitstitel=&lerneinheitscode=&famname=&rufname=&wahlinfo=&lehrsprache=&katalogdaten=&search=Search

Expecting anything meaningful in a BSc course. BSc level shit is something you teach yourself at home, m8.
You're a joke just like most other pure science fags.

>make Calculus classes
>call them Analysis to trick engineers into thinking they take real math
how heartless

as I said before, nothing different from the standard engineering degree. first year is calculus and calculus-based introductory physics with some filler classes and this degree starts to go on into calculus-based EE as expect

I don't know why you give it to me in english and keep assuming I'm american

in math and physics programs worth anything, it's not. engineering is a joke.

Where the fuck is Electromagnetic fields/Electrodynamics? That's a core EE subject here at both BSc/MSc level.

> this degree starts to go on into calculus-based EE as expect
So what should they use?

the study of the electric force, a continuation of a freshman level calculus-based introductory physics class in E&M such as ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-02-physics-ii-electricity-and-magnetism-spring-2007/

what they "should" use? they use just what they should. engineering is using memorized formulas to quickly get up to speed with and be able to solve practical problems. that's all it is. that's why they use calculus and not analysis, and that's why they take method-based practical physics classes and not actual physics.

>EE doesn't use complex analysis

nice knowledge you've got there my friend

in the research group I work in (I'm a math major) we have plenty of EEs with us and they do just as rigorous of math as we do (channel coding)

So you know nothing about engineering. Good to know.
>engineering is using memorized formulas
Biggest bullshit in the history of mankind.

That's just intro physics i/ii. It's a separate subject here.
Google translated physics 3:
pastebin.com/raw/r5ctLwen
EM Fields:
portal.vik.bme.hu/kepzes/targyak/VIHVMA08/en/

there's no use arguing with him, nothing you show him is going to change his narrow American mind

just as I said, this is the continuation of the standard freshman level calculus-based introductory physics class in E&M which finishes right at maxwell's equations. if you look closely, this picks up right at that point, studying maxwell's equations

>you know nothing about engineering
good luck in your freshman year

which uni? I'll call bullshit and claim no electric engineering degree has a complex analysis class (read: real analysis based study of analysis in C, based on Cauchy theory).

you don't need anything from complex analysis for this, you just need complex calculus

>claim there are "real engineering programs" that go full into the theory
>show the most standard possible classes
>it's not going to change his mind!
gee I wonder why

But what is wrong in calling it "Dirac delta function", it's just a name.
Also Dirac himself called the operator a function, and tried to give it a mathematical function definition, a shitty definition, but still a definition.

im not an engineer so i don't know if it's required but at Göttingen i had engineers in my complex analysis class

a lot of the circuit stuff goes into the complex domain so it's useful for them

EEfag here, I actually wish I there was more rigor in they way I was taught math, so I wouldn't have to self-teach it using babby tier books like Spivak. It's even sadder that many of my university colleagues still whine at the math we did have with "hurr derrp when we're even going to use covariance matrices or vector spaces" type complaints.

Implying that you need/can to go full into theory.

Engineering degree doesn't teach all the theory.
Physics degree doesn't teach all the applications and practical problems.
Guess what, you need to apply yourself a bit if you want to know about the other.

Fucking summer is here.

i think EE has the most mathematical rigour of any of the engineerings

lots of EE fields overlap with current math research (coding theory, signal processing, control, etc.) and in my experience at least in Europe it is not uncommon to find at the graduate level EEs and math people working together

really? post syllabus please I can't find it

>Engineering degree doesn't teach theory
>Physics degree doesn't teach applications and practical problems.

so you agree with me finally, amazing, good job
enjoy your shitty practical memorization meme and fuck off

Where do you put this:
Math I
pastebin.com/raw/QjuYS76i
Math II
pastebin.com/raw/9VPmUHq9
Math III
portal.vik.bme.hu/kepzes/targyak/TE90AX09/en/

Wait are you a mathfag? Cause that makes your opinion irrelevant.

why won't engineers realise that they are all fucking retards and that any math or physics major would literally get perfect grades in their retard major but we just don't stoop down to their intellectual level

This fucking thread.

Triggered

They tried really hard to make this look like analysis, but by going into the course listing I see the books are regular Calculus and Linear Algebra engineering books. The classes are structured in a weird way too, with things all over the place. But it seems like a fairly complete and nice treatment of calculus.

Just by looking at Math III you realize it can't really be complex analysis: you can't possibly cover Differential Geometry, Analysis on Manifolds and Complex Analysis all in once class.

>realizes I know the shit I'm talking about
>"you know about this so your opinion is irrelevant"

I get paid well with my BS. Who is he retard again?

Yes, from formula charts

>I'm a retard but I have money
you sure told him

>>realizes I know the shit I'm talking about
>>"you know about this so your opinion is irrelevant"
I think he means that all your pure math stuff is largely irrelevant at for most other majors and they gain math knowledge when they need it. It's useful though, but far from critical. Not even physics guys learn that much math.

I'm an industrial engineer and I make 65.000$ year after getting a electrotechnical diploma in an Italian HS

>$65 000
>anything compared to $300k starting
brainlet

>calculus-based introductory physics
Even physicists use calculus for their physics classes. What is this shit? Are you a math major spouting bullshit?

imo it's the most accurate way to describe the standard freshman level physics sequence

Yeah but I only have a high school diploma, in Italy the average monthly salary for someone who studied in an university is 1200€/month

WTF I meant that for

So itt a math major started to act like he is the real shit talking about how physicists do their stuff without knowing anything about it.
Physicists essentially learn the same physics as engineers or vice versa.
Why the mathmajors are the most butthurt people on earth?

>Physicists essentially learn the same physics as engineers or vice versa
lmao back to square one

I really thought this reached a conclusion at

just like math majors take Analysis to learn Calculus right, physics majors take Classical Mechanics to learn Physics I right, Electromagnetic Field theory to learn Physics II right, etc, etc

>physics majors take Classical Mechanics to learn Physics I right, Electromagnetic Field theory to learn Physics II right
The same way as engineering majors do. No difference there.

show course listing and I'll walk you through the difference

I think other did that before me. I saw some Electormagnetics up there.

even though the titles may look similar, course content is vastly different. just like it happens for "Linear Algebra", the actual content varies wildly

How *exactly* are they different? Considering that for physics classes most textbook recommendations are same for physicists and engineers.

are you looking at freshman/sophomore level Physics I, Physics II and Physics III? those are core classes for everyone

No, lake at something like EM fields for EE and Electrodynamics for physicists.
Maybe Fluid Dynamics for MechE.

again, post course listings and i'll take a look

Scroll the fuck up.

>It's a "physicists vs engineers" thread again

meh. Physicists should get a hobby desu senpai.

wtf

no wonder your uni is free