I am going to be making Beef Wellington for my family of six (including myself) for Christmas...

I am going to be making Beef Wellington for my family of six (including myself) for Christmas. I've never made it before and am way too poor to do a practice run, so I'm gonna be winging it. Just seems somewhat intimidating. I don't even know how much fillet to buy.

Anyone particularly good at making it / tips on how not to fuck it up completely? Is it even worth the hype / the sum of the parts? Pretty early to be asking though.

I will be using this Gordon Ramsay recipe, naturally. youtube.com/watch?v=5uXIPhxL5XA

practice with pork fillet?

Not a bad idea at all.

I forgot to mention though that the part that seems tricky is pan searing and then cooking in the oven for the exact amount of time each to get that perfect medium rare.

>"very hot pan"
>olive oil
>it doesn't burn on contact

what does he mean by this?

I did the same thing, but I made the mistake of using normal ham instead of what gordon suggests.

There was water everywhere inside. Be sure the mushrooms are totally dry and that you won't have a leaking mess.

not so hot it smokes

No advice to offer as I've never made it personally, but
>Is it even worth the hype / the sum of the parts?
Yes, for sure. Wellington one of the token 'fancy' dishes that absolutely deserves its hype. Every step adds something and the wow-factor is undeniable. Your family will love it.

I would hesitate to call a pan that won't smoke olive oil "very hot" though.

You would hesitate, but Gordon knows that in context, hot enough to cook, not scorch his olive oil

Were you the OP of the Turducken thread? If so glad you went with this, hope it turns out great.

probably because you're shitty at cooking

But if cool enough to not smoke olive oil is "very hot", then what's hot enough that high heat oil is required? Super hot? Extremely hot?

I would assume he means let the pan heat up before using it, rather than the gas setting.

a pan left on medium heat for 5 minutes to heat up is "very, very hot"

Thanks for the advice / encouragement. I did not OP the Turducken thread, always been curious but seems like it's more of a meme.

Didn't expect the hot vs very hot semantics argument.

olive oil is a high heat oil

unless you're a pleb trying to cook with extra virgin

By the way OP you don't need to follow Gordon Ramsays method. Any beef wellington is good and probably a little less complicated.

Beef wellington is pleb tier. Make a real dish like a turducken (or the lesser-known reverse method known as a chuckey) and deep fry it

you don't consider 200+ celsius very hot?

KYS

>pleb tier.
>deep fry it
'murica

>Make a real dish like a turducken
You mean an American meme dish of something that's been made in Britain since the Middle ages?

Buy an instant read thermometer. They're pricy, but a good investment. If you can't afford one, buy a meat thermometer. Either is a crucial kitchen tool. Also consider a oven thermometer, a lot of ovens (like mine which is old as hell) the dial temp and the internal temp are off, that can rat fuck you hard. Finally, I'd definitely do a dry run, if your making your own pastry the cost is nominal, (or you can use frozen puff pastry), duxelles is cheap to make, and your butcher or meat counter guy will be able to find a lesser cut that won't hit your pocket. This is Christmas dindins for the senpai m8, you don't want to fuck it up.

>I'd definitely do a dry run
This.

I'm English and if you do a full Christmas dinner, then bear in mind you will be messing about with the oven for other stuff too (Roast spuds.parsnips, Chipolatas with bacon and ham or beef you will also cook)

Yeah don't forget your collard greens stuffed watermelon to go with your fried turducken. Dumb nigger

Yeah I'm making Wellington as well for Christmas this year. We're having turkey for thanksgiving anyways so I'm getting tired of making it again within literally a month apart. I would say follow Gordon's recipe to the tee. Every recipe of his as long as I followed it exactly came out amazing.

buy the pastry premade if you dont have alot of cooking experience
puff pastry is hard to get right

Hi Gordon

>He thinks Gordon Ramsey invented Beef Wellington.
Fucking millennials.

One day I will find you and cram a printed version of that pic down your throat and present you on a plate like the suckling pig you are.

No I don't and no I'm not. But thanks for your input.

relax dude. it's just a meme.

For everyone to enjoy minimum no seconds
6 persons x 200-250g per portion = min of 1200g baked filet
Good luck with that

>just a meme

No it's not. It's just some imbecile who thinks he's being cute when he uses it to shitpost. It has in no way spread or become widely accepted. It's one moron's poorly executed attempt at humor.

Fucking hell, user.
You've posted a few times about this, what don't you like that it makes you this fucking uptight.
I hate frog posters and reaction images in general but I'd don't publicly lose my shit over them

Not him but it's really annoying. The images are supposed to compliment the post or be standalone. When some guy keeps spamming the same pic to be 'funny', it's like nails on a blackboard. It's not a meme, it's one persons autism.

>autism
Now that's a phrase that really grips my shit.
Veeky Forums has never learned to use it in an appropriate fashion.

How autistic of you

BEEF WELLINGTON SEEMS LIKE IT WOULD BE DIFFICULT TOO MAKE.

That's the first post I've ever made about it in my life. I was pointing out the error of calling it a "meme." I usually just hide it, but the improper and overuse of the term "meme" bugs me.

THE WORD MEME IS A MEME YOU FUCKING DONKEY. IT IS LITERALLY IMPOSSIBEL TO USE IT INCORRECTLY

Your anger will only make him post it more fgt.

Never understood why anyone would make Beef Wellington when they could just spend the money they're dropping on everything besides the fillet to get some good seafood of your choice and make a nice surf and turf. More filling, less complicated, and just generally tastes better

No one cares what you think faggot.

If no-one cares what anyone thinks, why would they converse on an image board about opinions and information regarding cooking (or anything else).

Why come here if you don't want to know what other people think?

Or are you just lonely?

Maybe, just maybe, its you who is the "faggot" [sic]?

Sorry if the truth hurts.

desu, if you can afford a filet mignon and foie gras, you can afford a thermapop, an electric thermometer is an essential kitchentool anyways.

Not him but I think he meant you specifically

I sort of agree with this. Beef Wellington is very good, but at Christmas, we usually have a day full of activity already, and there's not as much time for cooking as there is on other days. So I usually try to keep it nice, but simple, normally either some nice aged bone-in ribeyes and some kind of accompanying seafood dish (it varies depending on what's fresh at the market), or some Sauerbraten (to appease the souls of my German ancestors). We also always traditionally have soup on Christmas Eve (it's been a tradition in my family since before I was born), served with homemade yeast rolls and salad. The soup varies from year to year, but my go-to's are usually either Cream of Mushroom soup (made with a mixture of different mushrooms), or Cioppino.
I do like making Beef Wellington for New Year's Eve, though.

Who said anything about foie gras?

to be a real beef wellington it has to have foie gras in it

Try to find the episode of Two Fat Ladies wherein they cook Beef Wellington. Should clear it all up for you.

>so I'm gonna be winging it

exactly how you ruin christmas. never make a dish for the first time for a special event , and especially not for other people.