Epigraph is in a different language than the language the book is written in and no translation is provided

>Epigraph is in a different language than the language the book is written in and no translation is provided

Is there anything more pretentious thing someone can do?

600 pages of rhyming phrases ending with the sound r, sorted by syllables and alphabetized (No. 111 2.7.93-10.20.96, 1997), everything he said for a week (Soliloquy, 2001), every move his body made during a thirteen-hour period (Fidget, 2000), a year of transcribed weather reports (The Weather, 2005) and one edition of The New York Times, September 1, 2000, transcribed as Day (2003).

oh wow you aren't shitting me

what the fuck

especially known for his minimalist poetry, famous examples of which include the one-word poem "lighght" and a one-letter poem comprising a four-legged version of the letter "m".

>2016
Not reading in Greek, Latin, French, Italian and Esperanto.

>2016
>reading Esperanto

>actually not knowing English, Old English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Latin, Greek, Arabic, Russian, Polish, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Sanskrit, and Hebrew

For the record OP, they only do this when the epigraph is so basically obvious or established by common usage that all but the most uneducated plebs can't figure it out

that sounds like confusing the cause and the effect

why write an epigraph that's completely obvious lmao

L I G H T
G
H
T

>he cant read german
my lord and saviour save me

you cant read Portuguese?

>that pic

oy vey

contributing to the wholeness of the work

What a pleb XDD

>2011+5
>not knowing dutch

absolutely disgusting

what about Old Church Slavonic?

Stephen Donaldson constantly using the word frangile instead of fragile

what about it droog?

learn Interslavic instead

Can someone explain what the purpose of an epigraph is? Surely the work should speak for itself. If you need to guide the reader to a certain idea or theme before you've even given them a word of your own, then aren't you a failure?

Can someone explain what the purpose of a title is? Surely the work should speak for itself. If you need to guide the reader to a certain idea or theme before you've even given them a word of your own, then aren't you a failure?

I do not like his beard.