/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Edition edition

What's your favorite edition or set of SFF books?

Previously: Recommendations:
>Fantasy
Selected: i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
>Sci-Fi
Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

It's from Heinlein on invisible exposition, as in you don't have to explain how we are in the future and doors are circles that open like irises when you can just mention that the door dilated.

Should I skip it or is it worth it?

i liked it

First for Surrealism as a weapon (If the Bakkerfags can do it, so can I)

Bumping with Dick. Currently reading The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch and I'm liking it so far. What by him should I read next? I've read all the obvious aside from VALIS.

Only one third of Faded Sun?

I really enjoy Now Wait for Last Year

>reposting because no answer
The prose in this (pic related) is very basic, it's like how a primary school kid would write.
So far I've only seen one instance of GRI, it was only a glance and typically it's because some Horny Indian kid heard noise and "wanted to see" and it's was a little past the middle of the book.
They also have a lot of designated areas... seems like Indians trying to build up their society to more than it is.

Well I guess when a white writes he does this automatically, so when an Indian does it he will do the same. I wonder if the same applies to blacks and Chinese?
I know the Japanese in their literature (anime/Manga) always makes it seem like Japan is the only country in the world, or that Japan is a continent spanning the entire Earth.

Do you guys know if African and Chinese written fantasy does the same? (N. K. Jemisin doesn't do this, she doesn't blatantly say that the protagonist is pitch coal black and that they run the world).

What exactly is the question here

Read Ship Breaker instead.

>what is last line
the previous is just context

So you're saying that reading this unabashedly Indophilic book led you to believe that books by Westerners are just like that but it's invisible to you? Look, sometimes it's just a bad book. Bad African authors and bad Chinese authors do it.

Unless there's some wildly popular Western fantasy where people are going on about how great whites are and how they rule the world. I bet there isn't. Westerners love showing off lots of foreign surnames in their books, they often have their Arab or Oriental stand-ins teach their protagonists valuable lessons, and so on. How much anime is about a white person showing Japanese people how restrictive their culture is, teaching the kids to dance and lie to their parents and such?

And Jemisin shoves race in the readers' faces, don't even start with that.

Come on, I've read plenty of CN where chinese are the overlords of the universe. Just read their xianxia where their chinese MC became gods and ruled the world.

t. not even white

>Because, while he has imagined a stupendously great world and characters, his mediocre story-telling ability and shit prose chokes its potential to come truly alive.

In the early books? Certainly. He started out writing basically as good as anyone off the street would.

He improved pretty quickly, though. In the later books, as well as some of the off-series stories, I think his storytelling and prose improved far beyond what's typical of genre fiction; enough that I'd say it's actually good.

There wasn't a single time between, say, the third book of BotF up until Crack'd Pot Trail where his writing was anything but clear and well paced, and that's leaving aside how fantastic his dialogue has always been.

The Healthy Dead was a bit clumsy in it's way, but it was in general a very Discworld-esque satire of health nuts.

Crack'd Pot is a ridiculous detour from the typical shit, but it's also a big jump in his use of language. It's almost unreadably dense and absurd in it's exaggeration of storyteller's / poetic prose, but at the same time you can tell he's learning a lot as he stumbles through it.

To me, a bad writer is someone like Sanderson who has been making, essentially, the same dumbass mistakes throughout his entire career. I don't think Erikson can, by any definition, still be considered a bad writer.

(unless you count the ridiculously lengthy endeavors of anthropology he takes in the prologues for the Teblor and the Tiste Edur. I kind of liked those, though. You can skip them without missing anything, but you can also read them if you're into that sort of thing.)

Repostan

'Hoid' is a worldhopper but he's basically THE worldhopper. He isn't a Herald. Speaking of Heralds, we don't even know if the Heralds originated from Roshar themselves.

Hoid has been in every Cosmere story except for Shadows for Silence in the Forest of Hell and First of the Sun, as far as I'm aware. Even his appearance in Shadows is debatable between Sanderson and his main editor.

I don't know what you mean by SQW, user. Also, Warbreaker takes place on Nalthis. Just call it by its planet name. It isn't its own universe.

As far as the original trilogy goes: he was an informant for Kelsier in the first book, leader of the Terris refugees in the second, and an informant again in the third book but spooked Vin so she didn't talk to him.

No clue. I'm sure he'll pop up. There's a nobody figure that is speculated to be him but nothing to confirm or deny it.

Is this series any good?

Very.

"Who?" he roared in his sacred tongue.

He hacked at the riderless horses barring him from his foe. One went down thrashing. Another screamed and bucked into the knotted heathen ranks.

"I am Cnaur Urs Skiotha," he bellowed, "most violent of all men! I bear your fathers and your brothers upon my arms!"
Heathen eyes flashed white from the shadows of their silvered helm. Several cried out.

"Who," Cnaur roared, so fiercely all his skin seemed throat, "will murder me?"

Forgot
>4 days until The Great Ordeal

Its pretty good.

how is the Era 2 Mistborn stuff? I liked the first Mistborn trilogy and I like Sanderson in general but the wild-west setting is kinda off putting for me.

Based Cnaiur. Best character in the series.

Been reading Iron Dragon's Daughter but am wondering if there's anything with a girl protag that isn't filled with drug use.
Any recommendations?

/sffg/, I'm sure many of you are aware of Le Guin's comments on Harry Potter. She called it 'ethically mean-spirited.' Does anyone know if she ever expanded somewhere on what she meant by this? I ask because I had the same feeling and wanted to know whether she had similar reasons to mine. I can't find anything form her except that short quote.

David Gemmell's Hawk Queen series.

Thats not Sorweel

>15 year old cuck
>best anything

The entire Thousand Tenples is laughing at you

>is immune to the Dunyain sight
>is backed by an Elder God
>implying he isnt the most dangerous kid in Earwa right now

its only a matter of time

Surprisingly good. The main character(s) is/are older so you see more maturity present. It's only Wild West-y in some parts, like the Roughs; otherwise, city is around the time or right after of Industrialization. Also, best character of the whole Cosmere is in Era 2.

In my opinion, yes.

>white person showing Japanese people how restrictive their culture is, teaching the kids to dance and lie to their parents and such?
You really think kids in Japan don't dance and don't lie?

>I know the Japanese in their literature (anime/Manga) always makes it seem like Japan is the only country in the world, or that Japan is a continent spanning the entire Earth.
Where did you get this from? Retarded shit like Mahouka? Or did you fall for memes?

Could some kind user please dump all the humourous Man in the High Castle Dick meme images? I would be grateful.

What are your reasons?

Jesus Christ this is so awful

Yeah every single Bakker excerpt I've seen here has unbelievably shitty prose. I think the hype is all memes.

No, it's the cretins in the thread who unironically think that's great writing.

this is the funniest thing ive read today

Almost every other POV character is better than Sorweel.

Bakker's prose is purple as fuck, but you don't read Bakker for the prose.

Why does everyone hate Sorweel?

Who has better prose, Sanderson or Abercrombie?

>"Who," Cnaur roared, so fiercely all his skin seemed throat, "will murder me?"
I cringed a little reading that.

People used to kill each other in hand to hand, it's not pleb shit.

Sanderson.
He's bad, but doesn't directly assume the reader is mentally challenged.

He's just a very vanilla and boring person who happens to get swept up in events.

Abercrombie, although it took him a while to get there. Blade Itself had pretty poor prose.

Abercrombie is right in assuming his readership is mentally challenged, since they read him.

He's not the most ambitious sure, but I found him to be one of the more entertaining POVs next to Kelmomas.

You are absolutely correct, but it's pretty bad when someone who isn't retarded tries to read his drivel.

Lil' Kel is definitely the best POV from the 2nd series.

In fact Kellhus's kids (natural or otherwise) are the most interesting characters by far.

What is some good obscure fantasy worth reading?

I can ageee to that.

There's loads.

Then give me some titles, asshole.

The Worm Oroborus

Pretty much anything by Nick Harkaway, Chaz Brenchley/Daniel Fox, Paul Kearney or Felix Gilman.

The Epic of Girugameshuu

Friend of mine suggested the broken Empire trilogy with all the titles with "Thorns" in it.

Should I read it? Seems gay as fuck with all that 'set in global warmed Europe' map it uses.

>Seems gay as fuck with all that 'set in global warmed Europe' map it uses.
I just saw the map. That is gay as fuck.

It's bad don't bother.

What makes it bad?

The main character is a 15 year old boy who rapes and burns and murders a small town with his cool band of mercenary friends because no one can stop his genius and swordsmanship. That's just the first chapter.
It's garbage.

>The main character is a 15 year old boy who rapes and burns and murders a small town with his cool band of mercenary friends because no one can stop his genius and swordsmanship.
That's awesome though.

You have to be 18+ to post on Veeky Forums.

I envy you and your simple pleasures if you really are that retarded that you can find joy in such filth.

You guys are silly.

Do you like edgy teenagers?

Who doesn't?

Is this whole series worth it for someone new to the genre or is there a better place to start.

I've only read LOTR and the First Law trilogy.

No, it's bloated and mediocre. You could be reading 2-3 other series in that time which would all be higher in quality.

Just check out the recs in the OP.

Check out Mistborn and Stormlight Archive. They're pretty entrance-level friendly.

That Stormlight series looks quite promising. Think that's where I'll go next.

Thanks, famalanos.

It's fine for someone new to the genre.

Soon.

offended weeb autist (not the guy you replied to btw)

if you play video games at all the story line is at times going to seem very familiar in weird ways. probably not an accident, the release of this book.

anyways I'm actually reading this right now, in release order. finished revelation space and chasm city, both were pretty good, and I just started the second book in the trilogy. (i hope we hear about sky hausmann again).

>You really think kids in Japan don't dance and don't lie?
White kids dance too, but (((white))) people make movies about uninhibited minorities showing up to teach them some lesson.

All I remember about Le Guin on Potter is her saying her friends were telling her about this delightfully creative story about a magic school and her thinking, "oh, the one I wrote thirty years ago?"

And all she was saying was that Harry Potter isn't original but that's not necessarily bad, as far as I remember.

I guess I haven't spammed this in a while.

Maybe some of these. You feeling lucky today?

>her friends were telling her about this delightfully creative story about a magic school and her thinking, "oh, the one I wrote thirty years ago?"

top kek

She's right, the first Earthsea is like Harry Potter if it was written by an actually competent, non-hack writer.

if its not that its some white guy "going native" and ending up leading the proud-but-simple primitives

>tfw generational memes

Yeah, but they always teach him how to loosen up too.

>I don't know what you mean by SQW, user. Also, Warbreaker takes place on Nalthis. Just call it by its planet name. It isn't its own universe.
It was a typo, it was suppose to be "saw". He saw hoid in warbreaker, I'm sure he would shit breaths if he saw hoid in stormlight.

>some white guy "going native" and ending up leading the proud-but-simple primitives

I actually liked The Last Samurai. It was a good movie.

>shit breaths

Isn't that just called "farting"

>Most modern fantasies blend genres together. A Song of Ice and Fire blends fantasy with history, The Lies of Locke Lamora blends fantasy with a heist novel. If I had to put a label on the Cosmere, it would be fantasy meets the Marvel Cinematic Universe, taking the best things from each.

Here's what I've got, don't think it's all of them though

1/4

Its okay.
It gets more and more anticlimactic as the books continue and the characters are totally inhuman and bizarre. Not as amazing as people led me to believe it would be.

a bit of an obvious statement considering that this has always been the case. before tolkien, fantasy was pretty much "middle ages with weird elements" after tolkien it has been "middle ages with fairy tale races and fictional mythology".

2/4

3/4

4/4

..... Have you read warbreaker? I thought the pun was obvious. Go read how warbreaker's universe works.

>Hodson
>Morris
>Dunsany
>Hoffman
>Eddison
What middle ages with weird elements are you referring to? Spenser?

It's accurate for sure, but I thought it was funny because the author seems to think that comparing Sanderson to capeshit is favourable on Sanderson's part.

welcome back dinosaur chan, I missed you

>responds to a specific statement about an era of fantasy
>obviously hates new things that aren't by old people

I'm sorry dino chan, it's just that I didn't see you for the past 3 threads, I missed you, and got excited.