Why are mathematicians one of the smartest people?

Why are mathematicians one of the smartest people?
Why the only other people who come close are the ones with a Physics degree?

Why are engineers the most useless, lowest form of skill-less losers?
Why can't they accept the fact that their degree in itself is useless and math can easily be used for anything else?
Why can't they understand that you can literally teach yourself engineering at home by opening a book? You can teach yourself a lot of other subjects that way as well, like physics, circuit theory, etc.

Just take a look at Grothendieck, envious engineers rejected his shit, yet in the end he was right. Just as mathematicians are always right.

>shit-flinging-threads will improve the board

no

lighten up faggot, is funny and I'll milk the meme as long as it goes

>lighten up faggot, → is funny

humour is the lowest form of entertainment

Is that an edgelord's phrase from some witless anime? It's the same tier anyway.

Lmfao go math!

no, it means if you keep creating threads "for the lulz" you'll end up with a useless board full of retards

It's too late for that user.

>Physicists come close

And what the hell are you talking about engineers, man... no one understands you

Ask Dunning-Kruger

that's becausemaths college majors are filled with a lot of people who have no business studying mathematics.

it isn't a very good indication.

The truth is that when you consider the distribution of "talent" or "mental strength" or "braininess" among people who study different subjects, mathematics has a fatter upper tail than the distribution of any other subject.

We're talking about that fat tail. among undergrad students that would mean students at ENS and l'ecole polytechnic and cambridge and harvard (who did math 55), or olympiad participants.

among those people, the majority of them would have been able to study physics at those institutions if they wanted to without any additional difficulty, but a higher proportion of physics students at those institutions would struggle to study mathematics.

This is true. Most of my high school buddies had no interest in doing any job related to math but they did a math major anyway just so that they could open as many opportunities as possible later on. Our orientation counselor basically told us smart people go for math and since everyone in my class was arrogant most people aimed for math and science.

>that's becausemaths college majors are filled with a lot of people who have no business studying mathematics.

Same could be said about Physics majors... And no, I don't think mathematicians have an easy time around Physics, I actually believe the opposite Physicists have an easy time with Mathematics, because there is DATA to support that, just like the one I have posted. Mathematicians have a very simplistic view of Physics, it is just mind bogging to see you all get this deluded. One of my explanations for this is that a mathematician is trying to find patterns and is ignoring a lot of irreducible complexity, while Physicists actually have to factor in such complexity, so we need a big working memory

High end mathematics is harder then physics, excluding the physics which is high end mathematics.

If you remove the i want to be a teacher crowed when sampling mathematics majors, the group IQ jumps.

Duh, engineers aren't scientists. They just take the stuff you guys figure out and use it to make stuff. They serve their purpose, why the hate? Not an engineer btw, even lower - just a filthy technician.

Mathematicians are schizos that get butthurt because engineers are popular and useful

Anime science thread was better than this.

But they're all useful fields, who fucking cares who's the best. That kind of dickwaving is not something you'd expect from smart people.

whoever thinks studying math exclusively is used for anything else than teaching is

wrong

Veeky Forums is the only place that I've ever seen treat the mathematics major with such reverence.

will maths ever let me look good bald?

Maths is not a useful field in the slightest.

And dickwaving is the EXACT kind of thing you'd expect from smart people. They have nothing else in their life and are terribly insecure. To be told what they do is useless destroys them, so they feel the need to prove to everyone else that what they do is useful ,even though it's not.

Im not smart. I got a fkn 26 on my ACT and got a math major at UIC.

Most likely math includes actuarial math here too.

>Physics&Astronomy
>20% Women

>Math
>40% Women

>Why are engineers the most useless, lowest form of skill-less losers?

I don't know about others, but I do it because I don't have this autistic obsession over something that will become useless to me when I die. I do it because engineering is fun. I like to create things, but I am not tied to those things that I create or help create. I look at it as a job and not as some sort of love. I keep my love interest into things that I myself feel matter more. Simple things like going for a jog and feeling the wind hit my face to going to a difference place that I have never been to before. Just enjoying life the way I want to enjoy life is what I prefer. Numbers and how those numbers work will always be there. Those numbers were there before I was born, they will be there after I die. Truth is that being the smartest does not mean anything because there are just as many smart people as you and there are some who are smarter. However, in the Math and Physics world, or any world really, the likelihood of contributing anything of importance is very small. Eventually, those things that you contributed will be replaced by smarter people who contributed to the field and your work will eventually be forgotten. Essentially, I prefer worrying about how I experience this world in the short amount of time that I will be here and not how smart I should be or what field I am in.

Are you implying that mathematicians don't enjoy doing math? If a mathematician enjoys their work, why is that worse than your jogs or wind? Granted, many researchers probably are obsessed with their success, but it's not like all people or like that, or even that success-obsessed people can't also enjoy math.

>Are you implying that mathematicians don't enjoy doing math?

No.

Because they get paid multiple times more over people with more "brainy" degrees and that makes faggots like you jealous

>Why are mathematicians one of the smartest people?
I think it's because math is a mostly intangible subject. Obviously, we can count things, compare things, touch a physical geometry, etc. But for a lot of really high math, it seems to be mostly abstract stuff. It combines the art of writing, music, etc. and combines it with the rigor of logic.

>Why the only other people who come close are the ones with a Physics degree?
Most really advanced physics is just a mathematical description of the physical world.

Lel. Engineering is by definition an empirical endeavor. We can't measure mathematical proofs, so what do we care? We obviously use math, but we are currently only equipped to measure certain things at a very coarse level. For some things, measurement is better than mathematical truth (Navier-Stokes equations for describing fluid flow).

>Why can't they accept the fact that their degree in itself is useless and math can easily be used for anything else?
We can, but the people that want to trade our knowledge and skill for money can't, so we're stuck.

>Why can't they understand that you can literally teach yourself engineering at home by opening a book? You can teach yourself a lot of other subjects that way as well, like physics, circuit theory, etc.
Does this not hold true for math?

why are you retards still posting in this shit thread? I made this to make fun of and nothing more, it's retarded

You created the thread but the remaining posters decide its value. The moment you posted the thread, you divorced any sense of ownership.

Not every math student is Ramanujan or Euler, nor is every physics graduate a new Niels Bohr.

Most college students are just quite average, some just get laid more easier than others.

>Why the only other people who come close are the ones with a Physics degree?
>Physics comes close to math.

This has to be b8.

I have a counter-suggestion.
GTFO from this board, meme-whore.

sage