Open course ware

Im going to a community college and I'm starting Calc 1 in the fall. I've been wathing the MIT open course ware for Calc 1 and on there this guy has pretty good ratings. I'm almost done with the playlist. For those who've also watched the YouTube channel, will it be exactly the same as that? I understood most of it so I'm just hoping the one here at CC would be just alike.

Yes, Calculus is easy, don't fall for the meme

only normies fear Calculus

Yes, if you understood the MIT videos, you will be fine. Chances are, the community college course will seem very dumbed down compared to the MIT course.

And like said, calculus isn't as difficult as people make it out to be. The people who say calc is hard are the "hurr durr i just ain't no good at math" kind of people.

I used the opencourseware for a few course and just to put it into perspective: Specifically their course in chemistry covered in one semester what my school covered in two.

Calculus is easy, it's the algebra that people don't have a strong base which makes solving shit in calculus much more difficult.

The hardest part of calculus is algebra.

So fucking this.

Fucking nothing like working through a page-long implicit differentiation problem, doing all the calc perfectly and realizing you forgot to change a sign on line #3 and that shit done cascaded.

No you retard. The lectures don't mean anything. It's the practice problems that makes you actually learn. Sign up on Khan academy and do the calculus modules.

Calc 1 in a nutshell is derivative identities, integral identities, trig identities, limits, very intro maximization/minimization and some methods for solving problems that will be verified to be completely fucking useless in calc 2 and 3.

Good luck! on a scale of difficulty from least to greatest
calc1>>calc3>calc2

God we have such a culture of not-trying where I come from. It fucking pisses me off. Literally everyone has time to drink coffee with friends or hang out on Facebook all the fucking time, but never to do any fucking work. I thought calculus would be the hardest thing ever when I took it in highschool.

Why? Only because literally everyone thought it was easier to plot an invasion into Russia than to do calculus. So I'd grow up around people like that, and they would all go "omg you're so smart, you can do calc like it's easy."

Bitch it IS easy, just sit your ass down and do the assigned work instead of texting your "BFF" every 5 fucking minutes. There is no talent to it (or it's very minimal) but YOU TOO could do integration by parts if maybe you opened your god damn textbook once in a while!

Sorry. Shit like this makes me vent, it picks a nerve.

>professor is covering the product rule
>student raises their hand
>"Yes user."
>:When will we ever use this?"

I walked out of the room and took a 15min break. I wanted to kill the little shithead but he failed out anyway.

>"When will we ever use this?"

Fuck people like this.

i like that handwriting

cool people, nice. wow. so life.

it's motivating for some people to know the real applications of what you will be learning

There's a difference between asking about somethings application and questioning the professor's lesson choices.

IT'S THE MOTHERFUCKING PRODUCT RULE

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

IT'S THE SAME AS ASKING WHAT ARE DERIVATIVES GOOD FOR

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

OH THEY ARE GOOD FOR NOTHING, EXCEPT YOU KNOW, ENGINEERING, PHYSICS, ELECTRICITY, THE COMPUTER YOU ARE USING RIGHT NOW

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>it's motivating for some people to know the real applications of what you will be learning
No. The only reason people ask this question is to be a smartass and have an excuse to take a shit on the subject.

I'm guessing you've never tried to answer this question to someone before. You cannot convince them that there are useful applications, because they are only seeking to confirm their assumption that it's all completely meaningless and abstract, and they want you to assure them that they don't really need to learn it.

>"when will we ever use this?"
>"on the exam that you have to pass or you flunk out, smart ass"

I have 96 IQ (car accident when I was a child) and I passed calc 1
Just study and bring a formula sheet (sneaky)

>Chances are, the community college course will seem very dumbed down compared to the MIT course.

if its anything like my experience with org chem, mit will be easier. my average org chem percentage at mit was 6% higher than my community college. i found the exams at the comminty college more difficult and that was reflected by my lower average.

>formula sheet
Disgusting.

How long did it take you to work through the playlist?

>Chances are, the community college course will seem very dumbed down compared to the MIT course

nah. most of the coursework in the US is standardized. Calc 1 is Calc 1, and that shit hasn't really changed in almost 100 years.

the stuff you learn at community college is pretty much identical to what you would learn at any other institution.

LOL!

"elitist" fagggots BTFO

Okay, I was exaggerating when I said "very dumbed down." Yes, you do learn pretty much the same material. Still, in my experience, the courses on MIT OCW go slightly more in depth than their equivalents at my university.

Yeah and you can always improve! I wasn't good at all but in my last year of high shook I got inspired by people who took math competitions. Anyway I worked at it and improved.

Calc 2 professors might give you a help sheet for series/sequences, but you shouldn't be getting a help sheet for calc1 or 3

>series/sequences
Is this really why everyone says Calc 2 is the hardest of the three?

I honestly don't understand why everyone thinks those are hard, at least at that level. It's just a bunch of memorization.

I don't understand either, it was the easiest part for myself too, but its what most people in my calc 2 class struggled with the most.

the OCW MIT calc sequence is pretty standard. if you can do it well, you can do any calc class anywhere in the world reasonably well.
what are you majoring on, user?

>calc 2 professor
>in the middle of washer method lecture
>"This might be hard now, but you'll learn how to do it easily in calc 3. So don't worry too much now. The beast we have to tame will be the last chapter. Series kicks the most ass, but its the most kick ass part of undergrad math."