What languages do you speak? Was learning them worth your effort?

What languages do you speak? Was learning them worth your effort?

My mother tongue is Russian, I'm learning English now. What language should I learn next and why?

>What languages do you speak?

English, French, German reasonably well, bits and piece in other languages

>Was learning them worth your effort?

not really. i tend to communicate mostly in grunts and snarls

native korean but fluent in English. Debating whether I should learn a romance language or another germanic.

you should learn chinese brother

Interslavic

What's your native lang?
>you should learn chinese brother
Are there a lot of good lit in Chinese?

a bunch of classics plus post maoist stuff that might resonate with a russian.

Aren't classics written in old chinese wényán, a separate language? Do you speak chinese?

Just English at the moment.

Would like to learn Spanish, maybe French or Italian. Considering Mandarin as well. Problem is i'm quite lazy.

How do you guys learn? Duolingo?

English, Spanish, French fluently or near fluently, and can read Ancient Greek. Currently studying German and Latin. In the future I plan to learn Russian, but it's pretty tough from what I understand.

Yes, I've always found the language learning process to be incredibly enjoyable.

I watched Sponge Bob, then Futurama, then a shitton of Youtube videos. I also read lotsa Wikipedia articles and shitposted on Veeky Forums. (I'm OP)

yes, but you weren't seriously going to learn hanmun/wenyan just to read Three Kingdoms right? Read translations. That's what I do, or at least what I try to do.

If you're naturally an autodidact, learning on your own through Duolingo isn't difficult. But you say you're lazy, so I'd be concerned with you getting started only to give up when things became challenging. It might be beneficial to take a formal class so you're held accountable. I can only speak from a US perspective, but in my experience they're not difficult to find almost anywhere.

English and going to study Finnish because I'm moving there

>it's pretty tough from what I understand
Well, at least it's indoeuropean. There are some cognates
nose - nos
brow - brov'
cheek - sheeka
milk - moloko
son - syn
etc.
There are also a lot of latin, french and recently english loanwords.

No classes around here for the ones I want to learn. So if I want to learn Spanish I have no choice but to do it solo.

Ukrainian, Russian and English, but English for a fact seems to be so much inferior than my mother tongue, I was really frustrated with its pretty rigid word order and absence of adjective diminutives. Wish I learnt something like German or Spanish.

That's encouraging. Perhaps I let former instructors get in my head about it. Thanks.

Don't live near any colleges/community colleges (I assume you live in the US)? They'll usually offer language classes, and they'll certainly have Spanish instruction.

But if not, Spanish has a vast amount of resources available to anyone wanting to learn it. Duolingo should be just fine, provided you dedicate yourself to it.

I'm not in the US and not really. The two closest ones don't do Spanish.

Is French more useful than Spanish?

Only if you wanna convert to the religion of peace

(in rough competence order):
English (native)
Korean
French
Italian
Ancient Greek
Mandarin

totally worth the effort. looking forward to putting more effort into them and into many other languages in the future. if I wasn't doing what I'm doing I think I'd want to go into linguistics (of which second language acquisition is only a small part, of course, but you queers get my point,) or some shit like that.

knowing how to say several words and phrases doesn't mean you can speak the languages

you speak korean? heh. we're not exactly the centre of global academic relevance. what made you decide to learn it?

Did you learn Korean for doramas and KPop or is there interesting lit in it?

just wanted to come to your shithole and ravish your women

thx for the wisdom user, I owe you a nickel.

to watch movies mostly. 박찬욱 is the goat, and I hate reading subs. plus I wanted to challenge myself.

this is weird then because our language is so unimportant and our women are the most ugly ones on the whole planet. You must be merely kidding me.

Ah, then it seems like Duolingo it is. Don't worry, Spanish isn't that difficult to learn.

Honestly, it depends on what your goals and interests are. For example, do you plan on using the language purely for literature? Do you actually want to use it in everyday conversation? If so, do you live in a certain area of the world where Spanish/French speakers are more prevalent?

It's tough to say which would be better for you to learn because I have no idea what it is you want from a language. Once you figure that out, deciding which to learn shouldn't be too difficult.

>Don't worry, Spanish isn't that difficult to learn.
but harder than that simplistic English

>do you plan on using the language purely for literature? Do you actually want to use it in everyday conversation?
Oh, I just though it could increase my chances of getting laid in France

park seems to be a hit with americans, at least that's the impression I got. if you're watching movies without subs you must be pretty fluent.

>user attempts to get a rise out of a korean while not realising that not all are hopelessly nationalistic

kek are you seriously feeling insecure because I said Spanish wasn't that difficult to learn? Relax man, it's not a competition.

Oh, if you want to get laid in France, everyone knows you need to speak a little Spanish.

>>user attempts to get a rise out of a korean while not realising that not all are hopelessly nationalistic
assuming if Koreans eat dogs and rats then all do the same

I'm gonna be honest with you, fluent language acquisition for 20+ year olds is a near impossibility.

That said, you might grind to a state where you can struggle through a novel or two if you're smart enough and erudite russians are usually wicked smart, so I have faith that you'll do well whatever you pick

>I'm gonna be honest with you, fluent language acquisition for 20+ year olds is a near impossibility.

And this is based on what exactly?

>I'm gonna be honest with you, fluent language acquisition for 20+ year olds is a near impossibility.
Absolutely agreed except for the part about age. It IS impossible for a person to master any language after one's turned 14
>struggle through a novel or two
forget about it, If he hasn't been exposed at the age of up to 13 it is not possible.

>And this is based on what exactly?
Critical Period Hypothesis, look it up yourself

defeatist wimp

I've done it so it's not impossible breh

forget about reading novels and intelligent conversation on a native-like level

luckily language fluency is now quantifiable through levels tests.
convenient huh?

okay

I speak Finnish, English and a bit of Swedish
learning English has been worth the effort, Swedish not so much.

Tell me about your mother tongue a little bit and about its literary heritage, how hard is the grammar? I wanna learn it and move to Finland.

What's the language to get into if you're in it just for the literature?

this. Answer, polyglottofags

German (native), English (fluent), French (near fluent), I can read and understand Latin, I can understand Low German and Dutch

no one needs french, the other ones were given

Isnt there a hufe amount of literature and philosophy in french?

learn mandarin, they write really good internet novels

English tbqh. great native lit, great translations of most everything else.

well everything is translated

translation is distortion tbqhfam
Nobody controls the quality amd its shitty

How do you guys (especially non-European) learn new languages?

I always try and self-teach but it never really seems to stick.

see this

no wonder why it's so when you're over 13

I speak English, Spanish, and French fluently. I'm interested in learning Russian or Japanese next but worried that I'm too ~old~ to learn properly now like said

Das bullshit mane, don giv up on yo dreamz

I appreciate the encouragement. I'm definitely going to try, most likely Japanese because none of the colleges around me offer Russian

>but worried that I'm too ~old~ to learn properly now
good, at least you realise that i's impossible now

look at that 20+ body over there, you're so pathetic, and you WON'T make it

I'm not so retarded that I can't learn another language. What I meant is that I probably won't have the fluency that I have with the languages I already speak, especially since I haven't made the effort to learn a new one since I was around 9.

fluency is dependent on the time you spend actively using it, and it can even worsen no matter how long ago you had stared learning

Spanish
English
Indonesian

I can read and (more or less) communicate in French and German

Spanish and English
Learned English
Literally don't need to learn other languages. Maybe would pick up Russian just for the huge after-CCCP literary boom.

you're right. Despite being my mother tongue, my Spanish is extremely rusty right now. It is quite embarrassing desu.

French (mother tongue)
English (I study English)
Spanish (quite limited)
A few words in Breton

I tried to learn Japanese once. I was very drunk. Don't remember a thing

I just get a girlfriend that speaks other language, I've learned a couple languages that way.

English is mandatory in school.

I've had a Polish girlfriend in the past but I honestly didn't learn much seeing as she lives in the UK and is fluent in English (I'm French)
That and Polish is retardedly hard too

>English is mandatory at school

Kek, that doesn't prevent most French people from having a rubbish mastery of English

I've dated a polish girl for some time bit didn't learn a word...

But I learnt some latin with her

are you Lord Byron

Finnish (native language)
English (fluent, I was an exchange student in Minnesota during 2015-2016 )
Swedish (small talk, etc.)
German ( ^ )
Spanish ( ^ )

English was the easiest to learn (video games, movies, the internet), Swedish and German needed the most effort, Spanish was fairly easy

I know German, Ancient Greek, and Latin. For you, I'd suggest Latin and German. Ancient Greek is great to know but there's more works in Latin worth reading, and it's nice to know one dead language. German would be recommended more so to learn because it has the most literature and philosophy worth reading and operas worth listening to over other living languages.

Native: finnish
Fluent in: french, english
Basic communication: estonian, scandis (danish, swedish, norwegian)
Some words and phrases: german, russian, italian

I'd like to learn russian and north sami. Karelian would be cool too, but it hasn't been able to get formed into a book language

You're right, you learn as much as you're willing to learn

Another Finn here, there are a lot of different accents and dialects all over Finland, but the most commonly spoken accents are to be found in the Southern parts.
There is the official language which in Finnish is "Kirjakieli", which basically means "book language". That is used in formal speech (letters, job applications, etc.) and then there are the accents, dialects and slangs, which are used in talking. "Book language" is very long and slow to use for speaking, and you might sound amusing speaking it. So whatever your plans in using Finnish are, start learning either "book language" if you want to find a good job for example, or start learning the "slang" of the location you end up in Finland (for example the southern slang), and that is for making connections and socializing. Please learn both too if you want, but it will most likely be extremely confusing.
And of course, I'd say about 70-80% of the people form the southern parts of Finland are mostly almost fluent in English, so don't stress about talking to people. Not sure about middle, or the northern parts of the country.

Miten olet noin hyvä enkussa? Tips pls ;_; tai oikeastaan ymmärrän kaiken mitä sanot mut en ite osaa noin hyvin tuottaa tekstiä.

She was doing Erasmus and studied philosophy. My mother tongue is a romance language so her homework was easier for me than for her.

Anyway, she drank too much, I drank too much to keep up with her and had filthy sex and intersting conversations.

Also, I've always wanted to fugg a jewess so how could I resist.

Kuinka paljon tässä langassa on suomalaisia?
Toivotaan ettei tilanne vajoa /int/in tai yliksen tasolle

>he fell for the meme

English speaker, currently learning German

WAGNER
A
GOETHE
NIETZSCHE
E
R

Ainoa paljon Suomalaiset, milloin aloitin katsoa...

what were you trying to say?

Ainoastaan paljon suomalaisia, kun aloin katsoa...?

Yes but translations from Old Chinese to Modern Chinese are far more accurate than translations to English (generally)

Ylis on kyllä paskaa. Kuvalauta ajat olivat paljon parempia ;_;

order of proficiency
>fluent
Dutch
English
>able to have conversations at reasonable level
German
French
>basic
Japanese
>meh
Latin/Greek

>I was really frustrated with its pretty rigid word order and absence of adjective diminutives
>Wish I learnt something like German or Spanish.
>Spanish
>frustrated with its pretty rigid word

English, French and Italian fluently. Can read Spanish and understand spoken Spanish. My mother tongue is Albanian. Currently slowly learning Russian.
Each and every language you learn is worth the effort, a wholr new world opens up and not only in terms of literature.

Wow, the thread is still alive. Some messages were deleted for no reason, strange.

I doubt anyone in this thread actually speaks more than a couple of languages with some degree of fluency, and even that may be a stretch. Why aren't you people working as professional translators? One can make a considerable amount of money providing real-time interpretation.

Working as a translator is really hit or miss. My sister did Swedish English translation for some video game company and got paid decent money. A lot of the time they are just looking to translate basic stuff, and there is a huge surplus of people who are fluent in languages such as Spanish and French and German

Oh and I forgot to add that translator work is usually contract based or short term, good luck finding a steady job unless you have lots of prior experience

Anyone here learn a language with out classes? What did you use and how did you find it?

Me, learned french by living in francophone Switzerland. It was great

Got any links?

There are four aspects to a language. Written, read, spoken and heard. You can be pretty fluent in reading a language, but have a lot of trouble writing, and since you do not hear it you can have problems with that as well. But if I could read whole novels in French and someone where to ask me if I was fluent in French I would say yes.

Also being a translator requires a very strong grasp of at least two languages, as well as creativity and literary skills. It would be like saying to anyone and can read and write in your native tongue. How come you don't become a writer.

i am fluent in Tamil (mother tongue), English and telugu.

Ive been learning french but I have no motivation with me being a NEET desu.

>Google Tamil
>See bunch of qt Indian girls

Booking the next flight to India desu

I don't see any.