Any books that manage to pull off a "jump scare" effect...

any books that manage to pull off a "jump scare" effect, or at least make you sit up straight and wonder what the fuck you just read?

>dankey kang
>not princess zorldo

>meriam bros.
>jabus
>captain forlkem

I shuddered when the bookshelf shrinks in House of Leaves. The delivery is very fluid. It's amazing what the simple word "scream" does to the imagination.

I remember jolting a little during 1984 when Winston and Julia get arrested i the hideout. "You are the dead"

The castration in GR

Poor Major Marvey... Shouldn't've put on that pig outfit.

>jumpscare

nigga it's just words

words can kill

papa pyncon see0s those eyelids comin down over your eyeballs, in slow motion and he knows what to do. "hey, you hear there's a giant octopus?" whatttt? no way... now you're sittin up.

This is what I love most about pynchon, you never know what kind of crazy curveball he's going to wollop you with next.

I had that happen with the eye in the sky in whichever Lord of the Rings book it was

The fellowship of the ring where frodo dreams about being in the shire and seeing the nazgul peering over his garden fence.

I Am Legend, when Neville is lost in thought, suddenly he realizes the sun is going down...he looks up and sees the ghoul hurrying across the street towards him.

kinda shit myself a little bit on that.

Catch 22 when Aarfy reveals that he's an insane prostitute murderer out of fucking nowhere.

But he's never payed for it. Not once.

It's not really out of nowhere, he talk a lot about how him and his rich fraternity bros would rape local girls at least once.

I like this meme, a lot

'Rats in the Walls' by HP Lovecraft, it's a short story so you can google it and have read it in half an hour.

Also 'House of Leaves', when they enter the house/labyrinth and hear things, never thought a book would scare me.

>yfw it's old pynch himself posting it

this. that part startled me too

When this image happens in the story.

I don't know why. The whole book was trying to show his humanity but when this happened I felt a shiver from just knowing he was out there.