What are the essentials for a truly great meatball sub?

What are the essentials for a truly great meatball sub?

Are additional fillings aside from meatballs, melted cheese and marina sauce permitted?

Pickles and raw onions

Enough vegetables to carry the sub (Cucumber, Tomato, Lettuce)

Soft bread. You don't want the sharp bread to destroy the roof of your mouth.

A good marinara. Still haven't perfected this one but this is the key.

Good meatballs. Obviously.

The cheese will be warm and most taste pretty similar anyway.

Nothing. Else. Matters.

A meatball sub is never truly great. The idea of it is always better than the experience of actually eating it.

Ranch dressing

Meatballs should be pan fried with garlic and oinions, not baked, so they have a nice crisp exterior

black olives and bacon stripes of course, that's the proper way if you order it at subway

MEATBALL/PROVOLOGNE/MARINARA/GOOD BREAD. AND BY GOOD BREAD I DONT MEAN TOO SOFT. IF ITS TOO SOFT THE INGREDIENTS WILL DESTROY THE TEXTURE OF SOFT BREAD.

The meatballs need to have a breadcrumb and milk slurry in them (preferably with a fuckton of parmigiano in there) and they need to have been cooked in simmering sauce for at least 30-60 minutes.

Nothing grinds my gears more than someone frying meatballs, cooking them in the sauce for 5-10 minutes and then plating it.

The texture is completely different. If you cook them for an hour the slurry in the meat will absorb a lot of liquid and they will be super soft.

An abundance of hot peppers.

The best meatball sub is a hamburger. Fight me, faggots.

I'm inclined to agree with you, fuck stain. However many folks enjoy the presence and texture of meatballs themselves.

No veggies, splinkled with parm, toasted bread.

Am I retarded for thinking bell pepper strips? I thought strips of raw green bell pepper was THE meatball sub veggie It's how I have always eaten them.

olive oil

Slap them meatballs in a baguette boi.

>destroy the roof of your mouth

I thought this was a meme until I got cancer and chemo made my mouth and gums super sensitive. I've had to swear off chips and bad bread because I'll bleed a fuck ton.

>Literally got cancer from Veeky Forums.
You hit the memes and the memes hit back. What did you expect?

Never seen, nor heard of this bullshit before. You might be retarded.

Happiness

Use the cheese to make it less messy.

I adore how Firehouse does this.

When you don't contain the marinara, each bite is an adventure in dripping.

Always with Cheddar and Pepperjack (pay extra to double the cheese heh heh)
Black olives, onions, tomatoes, and a few pepperchines. Get it toasted when they ask.

No cheese
Marinara sauce
JalapeƱos
Onions
Olives
Black pepper

That's for phillys bro

sounds like you'll give a mean blowjob

>No cheese

intothetrash.jpg

he means homemade you noob

I really hope you make a full recovery, friend. :)

True Phillys don't use green peppers.

True Phillys are a myth

fennel seeds

Seems strange. Are they in the meatballs or just sprinkled on?

Every vegetable available and a good load of ranch, obviously.

>tfw used to go to this small, hole in the wall restaurant near my college campus that served kicking meatball subs
>they closed down
>have never been able to replicate or find something so good in my life
F
I paid my respects, damnit, but it's not enough

Best meatball sub I had was just meatballs, toasted bread, lots of melted mozzarella. They might have buttered the bread or something, I don't know. There was a little cup of hot marinara for dipping, but very unnecessary.

Really if the meatballs are good, you need very little else. Problem is people just carelessly make meatballs like they're lumps of gray meat and nothing more.

hi,

here.

It wasn't OSU, was it? Your story sounds much like my own.

Thick enough bread to not melt and get too gooey from the meatballs, I'd even say toast it under the broiler for a minute, then put the cheese on and brown it before putting on the meatballs
Do NOT overdo it with the sauce unless you're eating the whole thing in one sitting. That shit seeps into the bread and makes it too soggy

I'm more impressed when somebody can make the sandwich better to eat rather than making meat and cheese taste good

this!

>italian herbs and cheese bread
>white cheddar
>lots of parmesean
>lots of oragano
>lots of pepper
>good bit of ranch

thank you,

jalapenos, bacon

>ranch
kys

why would you eat fresh bell pepper when pickled or roasted tastes better?

Ah no, it was in Miami

crunchy, adds texture

don't you ever just snack on s few strips of bell pepper or carrots?

Vegetables are expensive, user, especially the fresh ones that taste good. A green bell pepper will cost me over $1, let alone the better tasting yellow or orange ones which are $2, and there's not much "meat" on them

>six limes
Every single time. This woman does not know how to cook.

>six limes

It's actually seven.

>a dozen eggs
>various greens i don't know all the names
>corn
>garlic
>onion
>tomato
>brown rice
>tortillas
>black beans
no meat?
how are you going to make every taco bell item without meat?

Two real questions then, for you, Veeky Forums.
What would you make with that?
What would you realistically buy for $29 a week ($116 a month)?

I live in the northeast, so a good meatball sub is a given unless you go to some shitty chain place.

It's the suace, has to be proper red sauce simmered with the meatballs for at least an hour, followed by the meatballs which honestly p hard to fuck up
>I WILL know if your store uses frozen. motherfucker
and the bread, which MUST be that exclusively East coast/Northeast very soft, chewy, but still tough to tear bread from a proper local bakery. basically nothing like the bread at Subway of Jimmy fucking John's at all.

and sharp provolone. not sweet, and no fucking mozzarella. Ever.

i'm no american, but am i right if i assume that those have been bought in some kind of whole foods or other overpriced store? surely you can get at least twice that much food at aldi or whatever?
correct me if i'm wrong

>What would you make with that?
tortillas and eggs: the world's saddest breakfast burrito
most of the rest: mexican stew?
limes: beats me

If you waste all of that money on all that different garnish and seasoning you deserve to starve. I'm sick of all these political celebrities with only speculative knowledge about how poor people can and should live.

Also that's not what a snap family has to live on for a week, they get around $200/month for each bastard under one roof

More than likely.

Regardless of which location she shopped at that is an absolutely abysmal weekly shop.

>6 limes and an avocado...

>What would you realistically buy for $29 a week ($116 a month)?

Well, she got the eggs, beans, and rice part right. These are nutritious, calorie dense, and cheap in bulk. I'd also add some potatoes and carrots. I'd use whatever is left (and there should be a decent amount) to buy some frozen veggies and some frozen ground or cheap cuts of meat.

You can eat on that kind of budget (and even lower) and still get everything you need nutrition wise, it's just a miserable joyless experience.

Oh, and oatmeal.. steel cut oats are dirt cheap in bulk, filling, nutritious, etc..

>mfw a millionaire cunt pretends to know anything about financial assistance
>these are the people in charge of influencing new voters
If you get $29 a week in food stamps, you either have a full-time job or you are rolling in alimony

This was a few years ago when I could get $189 a month for my foodstamps ebt thing.
now I don't get anything

gravy son

You got it, Paulie. Pass that sub here.

mobsters called sauce gravy dumbfuck

No shit, loser. I saw Sopranos.

sauce doesn't have meat in it
gravy does

What about Worcestershire Sauce? It has anchovies in it.

>putting the sauce on the bottom
You're just asking for it to fall apart.

Also bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms if they are not already in the sauce.

fuck off, I aint fuckin with no cheese