What do you guys think about opening drinks and food inside a supermarket before you pay for them...

What do you guys think about opening drinks and food inside a supermarket before you pay for them? I usually do this but people say it's tacky and rude

Your thoughts?

Gross and makes you look trashy. People still have to scan that shit man, I don't wanna deal a soda bottle covered in spit.

its illegal, you did not pay for it.
its similar to dropping something accidentally, and breaking it in a supermarket. they dont make you pay for it for image reasons, but you would need to pay for the broken things from a legal point of view. opening/trying things in a supermarket is basically constantly putting yourself into a situation where you are legally in the wrong, and the market employees into a situation where they have to watch you/decide what to do about it.

tldr: rude

id say its different if you are a regular at a fruit/vegetable store, where trying a single grape or berry or w/e is considered morally ok if you buy some stuff, youd still be in the wrong legally though

I interpreted it to mean he opened a bottle of water or bag of nuts to snack on as he shopped, with every intent to pay for it when he checked out.

Nothing wrong with it at all as long as he's decorous and not shoveling it in like Cletus from bumfuck backwater in Wal-Mart or planning on leaving the empty on a shelf.

Wait until you pay to start drinking, unless it's an emergency and you're going to like, faint or something. And even then apologize or try to ask before.

it's extraordinarily tacky

yes there actually is something legally wrong with doing just that, its not within your rights to open and "snack" on something you didnt pay for yet. the moral argument follows from the legal one basically, and just because nobody enforces the law on you, it doesnt make it right

Honestly kind of depends on what you get for me.
If it's hot out and you pick up a water and start drinking it before you pay, whatever.

If you just can't wait to crack open those cheetos, you're gross. fucking wait.

I also give exceptions for things like fruit snacks. where there's one box, and then a bunch of smaller packages inside. you can pull one out and start eating if you want, just seal up the tabs before you go to pay.

There's something weird about property within grocery stores though. Go into someone's house and start collecting stuff and putting it in a handbasket and promise to put it all back before you leave for me. Record it pls.

if i'm thirsty i will drink from the thing i'm going to buy anyway

it's not often but i don't care

>Not going through self checkout

Do you still have mother wipe the drool from your bubbling lips, user?

it depends what it is. if it's a bottled drink or a granola bar, sure. if it's chips or anything with more than one piece you bite off of, no

I saw this kid slurping hot soup from the paper cups they provide at the self-serve soup area at my grocery store. These kids were just in everyones way and the fat Mom gave zero fucks as she gawked at all the different cheeses before selecting a large amount of American cheese.

They were black.

Definitely rude. Can you really not wait to eat your food?

drinks as long as they're small and nonalcoholic are fine.

>spend an hour trekking around walmart pushing my heavy ass cart
>not allowed to eat or drink when i get tired even though i'm going to pay for the them later on

It's really equivalent to taking it off the shelf and putting it in your cart, legally. Until you leave the store without paying for it, you can put it in your pocket, stuff it down you're shirt, or whatever. Theft, by definition, can't be proven in court until you walk out the door.

So no, it isn't the same as stealing, legally, or even by implication, since he has every intent to pay for it.

what would be legally wrong with it? just cause you think it's morally questionable doesn't mean it's illegal. I mean you're also paying for your meal at a restaurant after consumption right?

sorry, but you are just plainly wrong here, theres really nothing to discuss. you know so little about law that you think im talking about theft, so ill just stop here

for most contracts, theres a timeline and system, you are confusing a services with goods.
at a supermarket, there is no contract until you buy the goods, so its illegal to consume them.
at a restaurant, you contract a service the moment you order,in the knowledge you will pay for said service afterwards.

>theft argument shot down
>guise I wasn't talkint about theft
>but I won't tell you what I was talking about
ok son

This, I honestly think it's for plebs. Pay first, you plebian fuck.

active damage of property
would be the literal translation from my 1st language

I love doing this, especially if I am only getting one thing, and finishing it in the store and leaving the bag or container on the shelf and walking out. Let the wagies pick up the trash! Sometimes I ask for a straw

Sometimes I used to take donuts out of the bakery at Krogers and eat them while i walked around shopping for other stuff.

It's the same as destruction of property, if you destroy the product so it cannot be resold.

Its fucking boss. I do it all the. Eating appels and stuff and not paying for it too. If they see it they either dont care or they asume you brought it inn

Self serve soup area???? The fuck is that? The fuck?

Does anyone just outright steal stuff?

Like for me I only have 1 grocery store nearby and despite being big, it has very poor selection on most things and a pathetic fruit and veg section.

So I often just pocket one of those small pricey glass jars of spices (because they don't sell large cheap ones like asian shops) or some chocolate

Fuck that place

Yeah! Good on you. And if you get lynched you just stop going there. No bigie.

The whole foods near me used to have beer singles in a cooler thing (at waist level it was for drinks) and had a sign that invited people to cut back and have a drink while they shopped. I thought it was odd. You could also buy a single beer and drink it at a table with lunch. They would even open bottled beers of you asked.

A few weeks ago I was getting lunch to go and grabbed a beer for later and the lady at the checkout made a point to tell me you could no longer drink beer in the building. I wonder if they got busted, lol.

Typically it is a station that has 3 different types of hot soup that you ladle into paper cups. The cups have UPC barcodes on them so you put a lid on the soup and they scan and charge you. Literally Every. Single. Grocery. Store. Ever. has this from the beginning of time. Every Safeway, Fred Meyers, Winco, and Costco within a 1,000,000 mile radius of my house has'em.

How have you not seen this?

You're paying for it, imbecile, when you go through the cashier line. How's that destruction of property? Good luck with your prosecution.

There's an implied contract with groceries as well, in that you are permitted to remove product from shelves, place them wherever (your belly, cart, pocket, etc.) with the expectation that you will pay before you walk out the door, enforced legally, only then.

So, your point is....?

I guess we dont have that in Norway. But that explanation cleared it up for me.

I was thinking it was like a food samplethingy fpr fat people or whatever

you're wrong and an idiot.

Yes he is lel

My aunt and cousin do this and it's absolutely mortifying.

I guess it depends on the neighborhood? I know in mine people generally dont cause trouble or steal so I think the stores are ok with it. I have done it...but not often.

When i used to work at a drug store people would do it and I just assumed they would do the right thing and pay for it and only 1 time did a guy (who seemed like a real piece of garbage) i think steal what he opened and ate in the store.

Oooh and also this couple came into the liquor store I work part time at a few weeks ago. The guy did this, and him and his gf were both very rude and shitty people. Because of their bad behavior we pulled up the cameras of them and caught her stealing a 50$ bottle of booze. We had happened to capture his ID before he left and he will be (if he hasnt already) be getting a visit from the police about the theft.

Literally no one whether its some korean cornerstore or walmart will stop you from opening a soda or pack of chips and eating it before you pay. Are you autistic? These rules were decided before you were even born. Unless youre being really fishy no store will accuse a potentially paying customer, with a cart filled with $100 of groceries, of stealing a 2$ snack. They will not dream of prosecution until you step past the register or the exit.

bump

>Recently moved from a heavily Muslim-infested suburb in Sydney, Australia
>Local supermarket chain has a 'free fruit for kids' stand where kids can get a free piece of fruit while their mother does the shopping
>Muslims grab several pieces of fruit per kid and a couple for the parents
>Soon, individual families start cleaning out the free fruit stand every chance they get
>Subsequent families start bitching to store manager that the free fruit stand is always empty
>the more free fruit is put out, the faster it disappears
>free fruit stand disappears overnight after a few weeks
>so now our middle-eastern friends simply go to where it used to be and help themselves to anything they want in the general area, and wander around the supermarket eating it
>grapes, peaches, nectarines, apples, bananas, mandarins, oranges
>cores, pits and peels getting dropped on the floor and tucked into shelves

It's fucking stealing. I never open or consume anything prior to payment without invitation (pic related) and regard people who do as scumbags.

fuck muslims

>muh law
god, you're retarded. nobody stops you from taking a sip from a bottle in the store as long as you pay for the bottle at the counter. that's perfectly fine, legally and morally. if you consume something within the store but you don't pay for it at the counter, that's where it becomes illegal

If you pay for it you should be fine. Legit when I was younger my dad would do this shit all the time. The only time it might be rude if is your stuffing your as with chips and I dunno maybe make your bottle look like you shoved up your ass. Besides that I think it is fine to do that.

>walking around beer
Fucking genius

you're a retart

It's tacky

This. I really don't give a shit about what the store staff will think about me, I was thirsty and paid for it so who gives a shit. People just overthink these thimgs and worry about their "image" only ones who really care about trivial shit like this are teenage girls and soccer moms which aren't really that far apart anyway.

>This is how a group of cheapskates ruined everything
>Oh wait, it didn't stop them from stealing

Dude, wtf

Clearly tacky and rude. But as long as you pay for them before you leave there's no real issue.

it's illegal, you are consuming something you havent purchased yet.

>durr
shit would never hold up in court in places where english is first.

>I'm so fucking retarded
you are litterally everything wrong with this world that you think this is a muslim thing. I say this as the sheltered est of fucks. I know because when walking around in haloween with some kids for the first time, I was flabbergasted that when they saw a bowl of candy they took all of it and left none for anyone else. if anyone could get away with it, anyone would do this. There is no difference between muslims and white people. and no, I was not in some poor hood. these kids where upper middle class and almost always white. they where old enough to be in upper middle school to high school

It's tacky. Also, people these days are poor and stupid. Everyone I've seen do this lately didn't have cash and decided to eat or drink something anyway. A few had their cards declined. So a tacky snack becomes stealing when you can't pay for it at the register.

When they build that wall, I hope they bury your kind beneath it.

Does that mean getting a haircut is illegal because you're reviving a service that you haven't paid for yet? What about a doctor's visit? Eating at a restaurant? There is plenty of precedence for a situation in which you get something first and then pay for it afterward....

>go to restaurant
>order food
>eat food before paying

DAS ILLEGAL

kill yourself.

The difference being if you don't eat that shit, they can still get it back

As someone else already explained, service=/=goods.

I used to do that when I was a kid with my mom at the grocery store. I used to get those Handi Snacks cheese and crackers, that shit is so good. But we would buy the box and I would ask if I could have one and she would open it and give me one.

So you scan the box not the individual snack which meant no mess for the cashier.

i don't know about you, but i pay my doctor appointments first

You do? What backwatershithole do you live in?

Why? Because he pointed out the truth that no single group of people has a monopoly on selfishness, greed, and stupidity?

Oy vey

>(((8264518)))

I dunno user, I grew up in a respectable household where my parents had jobs, and I didn't have to be told to say "please" and "thank you." The thought of opening something before paying for it never occurred to me

To add, you're implying that this is an urge people have to fight, but they resist because they're worried about their image. For most non-niggers, it's never been a thought.

>I'm out of arguments
It's okay, just hide the thread

No single group, yes, but a disproportionate amount of said behaviour is observed in muslim and negro societies.

As an ex-muslim, currently atheist individual living in one of the most muslim infested asian countries on earth, Islam is one hell of a drug.

Pakis and sandniggers are even worse. You ain't seen shit.

The rights to the property remain with the store until such times as a contractual obligations have been fulfilled to transfer those rights to another party, namely the proposed purchaser of said goods.

By defacement of the goods by virtue of the fat fucks shovelling them into their fat fucking faces, the fat cunts, they have denied the owner of the rights to the property their legally protected rights to that same property.

Evidently, it then follows from this that the fat fuckers are in fact committing an offence, by depriving the owner of the right to that property the means to enjoy those rights. Whether this is a civil or criminal offence would depend upon the jurisdiction under which the alleged offence took place.

looks trashy as fuck desu
but whatever, you don't have to care

The fuck, who even does this? It's called basic manners. You pay for your groceries before you consume them.

Despite your childish attempt at legalese, the fact is, no prosecution of an individual who opened a package, held onto said package, and did not leave the store without first passing through the cashier stations and presenting said package for proper dispensation of payment, has ever been, or will ever be, successfully prosecuted.

Stop shopping at Walmart in bumfuck nowhere and maybe you won't be surrounded by "fatfucks."

Literally, not an argument.

Also, eminently nonsense.

What if a 15 year old person drank a bottle of vodka in the store? Would the store sell it to him when he presented the empty bottle?

Quite honestly, I'd be embarrassed to be as misinformed as you.

It's tacky and rude to eat while walking.

It's completely ghetto to eat food off the shelves while walking around a supermarket.

>15 year old person drank a bottle of vodka in the store?

Uh, it would be illegal, because number one, he can't legally purchase it and number two, in many juridictions you cannot consume alcohol on premises not specially licensed.

False equivalencies don't cut it. Back to 6th grade rhetoric class, assfag.

user, you're free to present your case and have a proper discussion. but nobody will take you seriously if you backpaddle or try to move the argument to another topic. try again

>no prosecution of an individual who opened a package ... and presenting said package for proper dispensation of payment, has ever been, or will ever be, successfully prosecuted

>it would be illegal

You really are special.

Hm I'm not sure user. I grew up in an affluent town with people who made money and crime was virtually non-existent, and no one would give a shit if a kid ate some food in a grocery store. People just always assumed everyone is a decent person and would pay so it was never an issue ever.

You probably live in a ghetto.

you had your chance. but right now, you are yelling around with your fingers in your ears. here's my last (You) to you, i'm out of this discussion

>unable to comprehend simple logic
>blames others for their failings
>unwarranted sense of self importance

Yup, it's a leftist. I'd recommend a steroid cream for that massive fucking butthurt.

Insanity is never a good choice. Suggest a month long detox from Breitbart and /pol/.

>insanity
>choice

Leftists, everyone.

It's a fucking supermarket not a movie theater for fucks sake you can keep your trashhole closed for twenty fucking minutes i don't care if you weight 300 pounds and are a single mother

Why stop there, rotisserie chicken are best fresh, why not snatch a drumstick to eat while browsing the vegetables with your greasy fingers?
Hell might aswell make yourself a sandwich and open a beer while you wait in the checkout right? I mean it's not worse that when you do it in your pick up truck right?

>Supermarket has inside caffe
>You can bring wathever you want and pay for it there and sit in a table and eat it
>They even have a microwave and a toaster oven to warm the food for you
Fucking genius

>Fuck the store that offers me produce in a convenient, fast and available way near my home
>If they wanted me to pay for sheit they would have the same availability as that tiny Asian store factor away
Ask me how I know you are black

For niggers and incompetently raised kids.

>draining the contents of something and then putting it through an ePOS that weighs it for security

nah dude

>I'm sheltered as fuck
>Nothing wrong with muslims

Yeah sounds about right

So you are telling me Muslims act like a bunch of unsupervised kids on Halloween?

I was just about to post exactly the same.

Just curious, might you be talking about an Auchan by any chance?

I do not know what shit stain of a country you live in but where I live a prosecute has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.
Ask a jury what is more reasonable:
Someone with a cart full of product while eating one intends to steal that one product.
Someone with a cart full of product while eating one intends to pay that product as well.

Calm your autism. Just because you think it is wrong just shows your incompetence.

Going by the abnormally high posting of texas fans I would say HEB.

Yes, it is brilliant and delicious.

Slippery slope fallacy does not constitute as an argument user