Teleportation

With teleportation as it's portrayed in Star Trek, would it kill the person being teleported, spawning a new complete person with the memories of the old? Or is the exact same consciousness moved? Does the teleporter kill you?

Other urls found in this thread:

existentialcomics.com/comic/1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>If this thing with no realistic basis existed, how would it affect this thing humanity doesn't understand?

McFuckingKillYourself

If you need this for science fiction, then you can handwave the philosophical problem away with the quantum no-cloning theorem. Otherwise,

If i wanted a REALISTIC answer I wouldn't have asked you, why so aggresive?

Quantum teleportation (real, possible teleportation) works in the following way:
Entangle two particles.
Measure one of them.
Move the unmeasured particle some distance away, and entangle it with a knew known particle
Retrieve the information on the measured particle, feed that into a machine, and out pops a copy of the measured particle due to algebra.

Not faster than light, information still needs to be transferred, and it clearly creates a copy of the original.

Fuck off back to /x/

Erryone who saw da leprechaun say yea.

As I understood it, and seeing as how Riker was cloned and the clone was left alive, the transporters do actually kill the person to build a clone of him/her somewhere else. No one will know the difference, expect the person who was just killed - his/her life ended that instant.

I doubt the technology can somehow transfer consciousness; it is so binded to our mortal shell. This is proven by the fact that there were two Rikers - would you be concious of and be able to control a clone of you? You wouldn't, you couldn't.

I think the only way to transfer conciousness to another body is to gradually replace the neurons and cells of your body, one at a time so your conciousness, whatever it is, can slowly embed into and take over the added parts.

>guys I want a scientific answer to this unscientific meme fiction question.

fuck off back to

Why not cloner? :D Cant we have summ of same atomes being created there?

Why Enterprise havent replicated itself allover untill it will reach the replicator limit of conquering universe?

The scarier thought is that our consciousness is only temporary, flickers of logic circuits that are only temporarily active, we die every time we stop thinking about being alive, every few seconds there exists a new version of ourselves resetting each time the brain changes tasks, consciousness is just an illusion

fug, I should check what exactly I'm downloading next time. anyway existentialcomics.com/comic/1

before we go into the idiotic rambling that these threads devolve into, let me give you a clear answer

LOOK at your definition of dying, and how you claim the magic paranormal quantum social feminist teleporter works. COMPARE with the situation. CHOOSE the evident right answer.

Example: A person dies if his brain stops working, "his" meaning the closest brain in makeup/distance as measured every arbitrarily short amount of time. We have a quantum EM drive teleporter that duplicates a person, creating a second one with the same genetic makeup from available supplies in another place. After it does its work, it kills the original person. Clearly in this idiotic situation that only a reddit tier faggot would think up, the first person died.

From many other points of views, this doesn't mean shit, because the second person has all the memories, experiences, etc of the first and is, by many definitions, that person.

>From many other points of views, this doesn't mean shit, because the second person has all the memories, experiences, etc of the first and is, by many definitions, that person.

No it's not. It's a fucking clone, you autist.

>the exact same consciousness
There it is again, that poorly understood and poorly defined meme word.

>let's rehash this forty year old discussion again

>With teleportation as it's portrayed in Star Trek, would it kill the person being teleported, spawning a new complete person with the memories of the old? Or is the exact same consciousness moved? Does the teleporter kill you?

Depends on the series, desu.

I think ST:teleporters are explicitly stated to shunt your bits through subspace to materialize at another location, and you are conscious the whole trip.... so....?

mfw word filters for "I-------- Guess"
and "You ' re"

science-fiction is NOT science

Well consider this;

The atoms in your brain are being replaced. Your brain is your consciousness.

Over a 7 year period or so all atoms in your body are replaced. (or atleast extremely significant portions of your brain).

Despite this you don't see yourself as a different consciousness as you were 7 years ago.

Similarly, if we use the teleporter to copy the position of every particle in you, destroy it and replace it in another location, then it would still be 'you'; IN the same way you are still 'you' from 7 years ago, (Despite a complete change in physical matter).

Although, you are being destroyed, and there will be points in time when there are no physical copies of you that exist.

I think your question presumes that 'consciousness' is a real 'thing'. And so presumes there is a difference between the two scenarios you presented in the post.

Yes it kills you. But the new person is a perfect copy of the first. You'll only find a problem if the machine malfunctions and you aren't killed. Then you'll suddenly have a clone of yourself.

it's funny how this thread keeps coming up

parts of sci can't comprehend the whole dying thing as they think consciousness is not a physical thing or just because they can't understand it

and no amount of reposting this thread is going to change that

Doesn't one of the episodes saying that when first discovered, the prototype transporters took several minutes to transport a human, and that you could feel yourself being dissasembled on one side and put back together on the other?

Then again I'm not sure how that fits with the rest of canon e.g. the pattern buffers and stuff.

isn't it just like the Ship of Theseus?

even if it's the same exact pieces of a person that are taken apart and reassembled at another place, your entire idea of self has been interrupted

it's not like anyone has a good answer of what consciousness is or what would happen if your synapses were reassembled elsewhere and if your consciousness would be continous

yet more pop scientists who watched TBBT and think they are deep speshul snowflakes
Yes, they are different atoms. Information can travel at the speed of light, matter can not. You will need to destroy the original copy or create a clone, which the human mind is not capable of dealing with.

Opie, is it just you that starts this thread every week, or are there a whole army of NEET faggots that do this?

It always comes down to this:
>Or is the exact same consciousness moved?

Consciousness clearly does exist, but we can't even come up with a decent name for it. We can't measure it, or manipulate it beyond "let's see what happens when I lick this toad".
But you want concrete, engineering-like answers to a question with no practical use until we achieve Star Trek level tech.
fucking 'tard

>Over a 7 year period or so all atoms in your body are replaced. (or atleast extremely significant portions of your brain).
[citation needed]

Neurons in the brain are NOT replaced.
See also: Ship of Theseus

>You'll only find a problem if the machine malfunctions and you aren't killed.

>isn't it just like the Ship of Theseus?
No, that would apply here:
>Over a 7 year period or so all atoms in your body are replaced.

But you're not gradually replacing anything with the transporter.

You sub-human apes are literally worse than niggers. Trek, being an actual sci-fi show, has explanations on how it's transporters work. The matter/energy is stored as information, and the information is sent from one place to another. The confinement beam and scanners verify how accurately you're recording that person (don't want them to get scattered), the pattern buffer is a short-term storage used to hold the patterns for transmitting (they decay over time because they are "so complicated"), and the transporter beam pew pews them from place to place.

Holy shit you stupid niggers, actually learn shit.

Riker was not cloned you cuck. Due to interference from an atmospheric anomaly, the transporter beam was duplicated and reflected, so he materialized on both sides of the anomaly. It's standard transporter policy to re-materialize a pattern if it fails to reach its destination (assuming the transporter beam is still intact... sometimes its not).

I like to think of it like a micro wormhole in which you can adjust the steam of energy like a gene reseqencer.

Those are transporters, not teleporters. Teleporters just send data about you to a remote location to make a new copy of you. Transporters convert you into living energy and send it to the remove location where you are turned back into living matter. In some episodes the show follows some people into the transporter and you see what they see during transporting, if they are "awake" while it is happening.

Also, your copy/pasta is stale and old. GB2 with it.

Space is basically equal to time (in very simple terms). Being another place in space should be equal to being another place in time. Technically you're "dying" every moment time goes on if you would define "you" as that specific organization of atoms. Teleporting is basically the same thing as time travel.

Also, I'd suggest dropping acid and thinking about scientific questions like these, it's great.

Quantum teleportation has absolutely nothing to do with what is thought of teleportation in pop culture.

Not the Neurons, but how about the Atoms they are made of?