Thoughts on insomnia and study, Veeky Forums ?

thoughts on insomnia and study, Veeky Forums ?

>stay awake for 2-3 days sometimes
>somehow this is my most productive period
>well-rested self essentially useless by comparison
>herbal tea and weed can put me to sleep
>but why be well rested when i could be productive?

anyone else experience this ?

cant be good, but it is what it is.........

Other urls found in this thread:

nhs.uk/news/2008/10October/Pages/StJohn'swortanddepression.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Do you ever experience depression or low moods?

yeah dude, and i drink too much on a not-irregular basis

You might have bipolar.

What you are describing sounds a lot like mania; I have experienced it extensively myself.

The insomnia could also be caused by a thyroid issue or some other underlying condition though, so go get checked out by your doctor.

t. Bipolar neuropsychology PhD student.

cheers for reply

sounds legit, i would beleive it

i have diagnosed ptsd and can be extremely impulsive at times, and yeah massive mood swings but it doesn't affect my social life too badly

might go have a chat to the GP then and see what they reckon.

/sidenote: do you put much stock in St Johns Wort ? a psych told me it was awesome and a doctor told me it was bullshit.

Id be inclined to listen to the doctor of course, but it would be cool if something cheap like that was useful

/sidenote: am not up for meds btw, fuck that

Yeah I also have generalised anxiety disorder, which originally began as health anxiety disorder at the age of nine.

St. John's Wort for what?

And yeah, there are many options available concerning treatment, so meds aren't a necessity; especially if you're managing to function well enough.

well im pretty content with my life and all that shit if thats an indicator, things are good yo

just wish i could know what was going on and when a bit more

>St Johns wort as an alternative to anti-depressants

Doctor prescribed me seroquel but i've done that shit enough to come down from benders to know i dont want it in my life

Glad to hear things are good, user.

To answer your question, yes it has been shown to be better than placebo and equally effective as some antidepressants for mild to moderate depression.

Here's some information on it:

nhs.uk/news/2008/10October/Pages/StJohn'swortanddepression.aspx

cheers user, good luck with the PhD mate

I have bipolar mixed/cyclothymia, while I have never stayed up for that long, I have had long days, like 22-24 hours with little fatigue. Sounds like you might have the full blown bipolar deal though.

Thanks mate.

I just remembered, St. John's wort has been linked to increased frequency of rapid-cycling (between low and high moods) in bipolar disorder.

So keep an eye out for that.

>increased rapid cycling
will look out for it, potential game changer if i do have teh polar

is studying under 'mania' conditions considered a bad thing, or do you think its a common part of the student experience ?

i would think the latter - but i'm no neuroscientist

Well, it's definitely part of the student experience to some degree.

However, productive mania is like a gift from the heavens in my experience.

So study away!

Most people with bipolar do not experience increased creative or intellectual abilities during manic episodes, so you're one of the lucky few (as am I).

> is studying under 'mania' conditions considered a bad thing, or do you think its a common part of the student experience ?
No not really. The not sleeping could lead to a health issue
The manic people I've met that have issues that they need to fix do stuff like:
Not sleep (like you)
Take risks
Impulse buy like crazy (I saw a house stuffed with amazon boxes)
One went on a 14 mile hike out of the blue, and didn't know where he ended up.

>random 14 mile hike
holy shitballs, thats extreme user, i do feel that though

>overseas i went surfing at 2am in subzero water in a pair of jeans and a hoodie (no wetsuit), shark infested african waters
>woke up the next morning freezing, two fishermen who capsized their boat actually died from hypothermia in nearby waters that night.

*thinks to self* 'i did think it was bloody cold.'

>impulse buy
*looks at electric drumkit*
no regrets there

>take risks
much to my missus chagrin

I am in a good place though; i make her do cool shit she would never do (is the shy type), and she stops my really really bad ideas before they gain traction. we have a system.

>productive mania is like a gift from the heavens

my thoughts exactly user. I was posting because i thought "this cant be normal".

Have written some killer papers during these times, now that i know to actually use it and not just fuckin lay there wigging out about how much sleep im not getting.

>You might have bipolar.

stop "diagnosing" people over the internet you moron, you make everyone look bad

t. neuropsychology masters student/Neuroscience PhD student

> I am not up for meds.
> Please confirm how I could use this plant that partially works as an SSRI.

ebin

this is fair point user

>i don't want seroquel or the two types of anti-depressant i have had in the past

Seroquel is an antipsychotic not a typical antidepressant. SSRI's are far overrated but they seem to benefit some. Plenty of other things to try if you're willing.

St. John's Wort does work for some though, it has active chemicals in it for sure. Do keep the photosensitivity in mind.

Yep. You just described my entire childhood. It's still true to an extent, but I'm a pain wracked mess and not really consistently good for anything anymore.

Ultimately you have other problems you're not dealing with or aware of, which is why your baseline state is not adequate to you. I also got sick of it, and my body stopped being so keen to deal with living that way ~21.

i spend alot of time in the field, photosensitivity would be quite bad

Everyone thinks seroquel is an antipsychotic, i was told its a sedative with antipsychotic properties; regardless i dont want that shit, have had some mates feckin' loose the plot trying to get off the dose

i'm all good user, it keeps life interesting. i'm not planning to get medicated unless things change.

i feel that user

>re: PTSD, i've been around yo

turns out things actually can take their toll eh

and yeah I am sick of it, but at least I can use it for something nowadays ;)

>bipolar
Congratulations OP you're a useless cunt now. Time for you to collect your disability check.

Only if you get the diagnosis and have people in power over you to know of it. Do like everyone else. Pretend it's nothing formally and learn to manage the shit when out of sight.

I agree. I can also be much more productive if I don't have to focus on remaining "socially compatible". But there exist almost no formal jobs where you don't have to be always (re)presentable nowadays.

To make you go to sleep, your brain activates GABAa receptors. Activation of these receptors shortens action potentials, and basically shuts your brain down.

Many neurotransmitters activate the GABAa receptors, and they can be depleted. When this happens, you stop feeling tired for a few minutes while you produce more of them. The giddiness you may feel is caused by a sudden spike of excitation due to unopposed dopamine function.

Different people have different alleles for the genes that code for dopamine and GABAa agonist biosynthesis, and their metabolism into inactive metabolites. If you're not good at breaking down dopamine due to an impaired MAOa enzyme, and your GABA system is screwed up, you could get a buildup of dopamine.

You're artificially activating your GABAa receptors with alcohol, which causes your body to develop a tolerance to GABAa agonists.

Your body is also trying to offset the effects of alcohol by producing more dopamine. So when you don't drink, your body has no way of turning off. In fact, this is likely why you can stay up so long.

I'm not sure how you're pulling it off - I feel terrible when I did that half a decade ago. More power to you.

just smashed out a 48+ hour stint of assessment and research, still fuckin charging

true that user, havent touched a drink in 3 days, youre probably on the money

>bipolar

not sold on this but not worried either way. probably do, probably dont, oh well.

go alright at life and am an above-competent scientist. yeah i do some fuckin erratic shit but so what, i can live with that.

ta all anons for reply, specially ^

[spoiler]am a captain and scuba diver for a job senpai so i'm functional enough i reckon/[spoiler]

>might

>The insomnia could also be caused by a thyroid issue or some other underlying condition though, so go get checked out by your doctor.

>so go get checked out by your doctor

Learn to read, user.

also, medium-term drug user

if you can get it without knowing amatuer pharmacists i've probably tried a couple times

MAOIs and psylocibin was probably one of the best

have been told about the GABA receptor thing before, my brain levels is all fucked out

>dingers in the early 2000s were fucking ridiculous
>worth

now when i eat one it affects me for like, up to a month. no more recovery in a day or a few hours.

hasnt affected my intelligence though (some might argue doing that kind of shit isnt intelligent, i would argue otherwise)

but potentially not good

is this why weed doesnt put me to sleep anymore user ?

Anytime I've gone a day or more without sleep I go into a weird trance, no productivity at all. I think I'm most productive with a few hours though, waking up at 3am and getting shit done before the sunrise

This is bullshit.

Alcohol has both depressant and stimulant properties; it induces the release of GABA, however it also induces the release of norepinephrine while blood alcohol levels are rising.

Norepinephrine receptors also down-regulate with long term alcohol use, which means there isn't some sudden boom upon GABA depletion.

Also GABA failing to dull 'dopamine function' wouldn't produce mania or any form of hyperactivity.

The framework this user put forward is far too simplified and it's clear to me that he doesn't really know what he's taking about.

t. the neuropsychologist from earlier

P.S. OP if you'd like a theoretical run down of bipolar disorder at the neuroscientific scale, including how mania is produced, then just ask.